Weight Loss Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
1554 replies to this topic

#1426 CCABW

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

Hi all, been a while since I was last here. I was making no progress at all for a while but have made some life changes and some weight is going as a result. Probably lost about 3-4kg. Another 5 to go. I have been reading this thread though and keeping up - you are all doing amazingly and you are inspiring others (even if we don’t post much) :)

#1427 Maree83

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

Hi Guys, wondering if you mind me joining you?
I weighed in at 65kg this morning, the heaviest I have been in a while.
I am only 158cm, so I think I look much bigger than the weight suggests. Doesn't help that I seem to carry weight around my mid section mostly.
I have made a goal to lose 5kg by Christmas,  with a 10kg goal overall.
Does anyone else want to make a goal for Christmas?
I really hope I can stick with this....I LOVE food and I am a carb lover from way back....so I plan on cutting back on the carbs, reducing portion sizes, cut back on my snacking (stop night time snacking completely! I am terrible for that!).
I am not quite ready to give up my diet coke and Pepsi max yet, I have cut back, but I seem to be having withdrawals from reducing carbs and sugar, I don't think I could handle any more yet!
Any tips or words of advice guys, to keep my will power in check?

#1428 Caribou

Posted 16 September 2019 - 04:36 PM

oh my gosh.

I was doing well, I've dropped in body fat, which means my weight isn't far off from doing a big drop soon.

But oh boy, today was undone by a very strong willed toddler.

I think September really is a write off month. I'm just going to hold steady rather than gain. I shouldn't call it a write off month, but I'd have liked to have lost a bit by now.

Maree83 - welcome!!

I get what you mean being 65kg and 158cm, I think you may be a good candidate for Intermittent fasting, if you can do something like 16 hours fasting and 8 hours eating, and only do 2-3 meals a day with no snacks, you'll still get to keep your pepsi/coke until you're ready to ditch it, try limit it to lunch time only maybe? It's seriously addictive stuff. I've not touched that stuff in about 3 years, prior to that I hadn't touched it in 5 years. it took a look time to get off that stuff, the one 3 years ago, was a celebratory moment because i made it passed the 26 weeks viability (hi risk pregnancy) and goodness, the stuff is foul!! lol I do remember thinking how delicious it was before I cut it out of my life completely.

#1429 mayahlb

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

Wrote a long post and it disappeared.

Ccabw sounds like you are doing great plodding along!

Maree welcome :) I’m a similar size though a few cm shorter. Getting in the scales and seeing 68kg, which was what I weighed at 38weeks with my 2nd is what pushed me to start trying to lose weight. Maybe try intermittent fasting? I’m finding that useful, as well as a version of fast800 in regards upping protein and pairing it with some fat, while lowering carbs and sugars. If I’m honest the sugar is the hard part for me.

Caribou you never know it might still drop. I understand child making food and alcohol look so inviting (I have a particular moody pair of tweens at the moment).  My goal for Christmas is 60 or lower, though I will see if that happens or not. I’d like to buy some new clothes and seeing how we will be in actual civilisation at Christmas I’ll have the opportunity (I live remote. We have target and beat and less and a few boutique shops. The closest Kmart is 600kms away).

I’m going pretty well. Got my lowest yet on Saturday (62.1), though it bounced up a little yesterday and today. That’s my usual pattern though and why I weigh everyday. The variation of fast800 and 16:8 seems to be working. Or at least it is at the moment. I’m not very hungry either, though I discovered pear or apple slices with a peanut butter I discovered is tasty (I’ve never liked peanut butter but this one is yummy. And just peanuts with a bit of salt).

#1430 Maree83

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.🙂    Thanks for the tips also! I will most certainly look into the intermittent fasting. It has been a bit of a shock to the system,  I have cut out all junk these last couple of days, didn't realize how much snacking I actually was doing.
I have been cutting back on the carbs,  trying to eat more protein,  and if I feel really hungry, I am having a piece of fruit,  plus drinking more water.
I am not sure if it's in my head, but I already feel less sluggish,  it's still hard, as I am getting really hungry at times, plus I sometimes eat when I have had a rough day, I am an emotional eater...
Fingers crossed that I can stick to this, I really want to start feeling better in my clothes. My belly is my biggest concern,  it is making me really uncomfortable. This forum is already helping me, it'snice knowing I am not alone.

#1431 #YKG

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

So figured out the trick dropping weight for me right now is to be sick lol. I have inflamed tonsils and upper resp infection, so zero appetite, despite having only had 1 cup Mac and cheese and mashed potato and chocolate milk over last 2 days (what I’ve eaten each day), I’ve managed to drop 1.4kg.

I know when I’m better it’ll come back on, but right now it’s a semi win, sadly feel like sh*t though.

#1432 mayahlb

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

Oh no YKG. I'm sorry you are feeling so crook. Though I guess the side effect of weight loss is nice... maybe it will stay off?

#1433 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

Hi Maree, I’ll team up with you for 5kg by Christmas!

#YKG, sorry to hear you’re sick. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Maya, peanut butter is my downfall. I never ate it much when I was young, then when I was living in Canada, it became a staple because I couldn’t get Vegemite.

I’ve had an ok week from an exercise perspective (and I’m just back from 4km walk with the dog), but dreadful eating. We had a late night on Wednesday with sports trials, so I grabbed fish and chips on the way home, and my thesis is due tomorrow, so I have been doing easy meals. No change in weight.

#1434 Fizgig

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

I was feeling down yesterday as my weight had bumped up again even though I had been eating well. It meant that I let myself go a bit yesterday. It’s annoying because it went back down again today so I wasted yesterday. Went for a run today so hopefully that will balance out the dinner out tonight and lunch out tomorrow.

Maree my tummy was making me really uncomfortable too. I’m down six kilos now and it doesn’t bother me so much and my clothes fit better. It really helps my mood day to day to not always be hating my tummy.

#1435 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

Hey, my mum was here yesterday and she asked me if I’ve had my thyroid checked lately. It’s been probably 4 years and it was fine. She says my skin on my hands looks like hers did a few weeks ago (very dry) and her medication dosage needed changing. I don’t know if it’s worth making a special appointment or waiting until they call me in after my next birthday.

#1436 Fizgig

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:31 PM

SeaPrincess I’ve been on 50 micrograms for the last four years. It was checked two years ago and was fine but when checked 2 months ago my dose needed to be changed. It was finally right at 100 micrograms. It can change in within those 4 years so I think worth getting it checked.

#1437 emma_jean

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:32 AM

I haven’t much to say about weight loss at the moment unfortunately but I get my thyroid levels checked about every six months.

#1438 Caribou

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:21 AM

My thyroid levels aren't the issue here. just age! however, it's always worth getting these things checked every now and then :)

AFM: September is defiantly NOT my month. I have not been as great as I could have been. I've bounced back up to 74 and so mad. I don't want all the hard work I've done to be undone because I didn't stick to the plan properly.

I was supposed to be closer to 72-71 by now. instead I've gained! an average of 1kg this month.

Back on to IF and no more snacking. there's no good reason for it and i just need not to stress eat either. Time to ramp up working out too. no slack excuses anymore.

I'm so tired, sleep is limited, work is mental, I'm effectively parenting two kids on my own because DH is doing long hours at work. How lucky am I my work is so flexible I can do it at 11pm at night! doesn't feel great at all. It's all short term and the world will right itself in a couple months, but it's still I hate this time of the year. :(

I'm 3 months away from when I first started my weight loss journey. and apart from dropping two dress sizes I feel like I've got almost nothing to show for it. I know it's not true, just feels like it for sure. :(

#1439 Catzilla

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

Back up to 75.9 this morning, so an 800g gain.  Not too bad, since it was DH's birthday on Friday, and mine yesterday, so I probably ate a bit to much.  Back into it today though.

#1440 Maree83

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

I am relieved that it's not just me that struggles with my weight....I have a loss, then go back to where I started.  Then, I am an emotional eater,  so if I get depressed about the results,  I eat more! I don't know how to stop myself.
Has anyone else tried the lady shake? A guy from my husband's work, did the man shake and lost heaps of weight,  he swears by them, says it's heaps better than the normal shake diets.

#1441 Maree83

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

Fizgig, on 21 September 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

I was feeling down yesterday as my weight had bumped up again even though I had been eating well. It meant that I let myself go a bit yesterday. It’s annoying because it went back down

Maree my tummy was making me really uncomfortable too. I’m down six kilos now and it doesn’t bother me so much and my clothes fit better. It really helps my mood day to day to not always be hating my tummy.

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling down. Six kilos is amazing! Well done! Did you follow any plan in particular for your weight loss?

#1442 Fizgig

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

Maree83, on 23 September 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling down. Six kilos is amazing! Well done! Did you follow any plan in particular for your weight loss?

Maree I’m like you said above - try really hard, don’t lose weight, or put it back on, get depressed, and then eat all the bad stuff because it feels pointless.

All I have been doing is tracking my eating with MyFitnessPal app and trying to swap some calorie heavy food out. For instance, previously I would have a bowl or cereal, milk, yoghurt and fruit for breakfast. I thought it was pretty good but it turned out to be over 1/3 of my calories for the day. I’ve swapped it for a small portion of yoghurt, with fruit and a sprinkle of muesli. Much less calorie dense. The other thing that tracking did was make me aware of how many treats I was allowing myself in a day. When I thought I was only allowing myself one thing I might have actually had three or four. When I thought I was eating well I wasn’t!! The other thing I have done is be more proactive about exercise. I sometimes was only getting a walk in once a week and I sit a lot at work. I am doing a couch to 5km app and trying to run twice a week (and when I say run I mean the slowest speed that can be considered running). I find when I run it really balances out over indulgences as long as they are not too over!!

The last thing that I’ve done is stay in this group. It has really helped me stay on track. If I had been doing this on my own I definitely would have given up by now. When I lose weight I want to do it fast but this has been a slow burn for me but it seems to be working.

Caribou - sorry to hear that you have been having a bad month. It is so disheartening when the scales go back up and you know how hard you worked to get it down. I think dropping two dress sizes is awesome! You got this!!

Catzilla - happy birthday and well done on the not going overboard! It’s DH’s birthday this weekend and we have dinner out as well as the kids want to make that kit Kat and M&M cake for him. I have to make sure that all his family takes a piece home so we don’t end up eating it all!!

#1443 mayahlb

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:32 PM

I'm back up again too. We were out most of the weekend, with limited choices regarding food. Also ovulation is being horrid and the weather is making me swell :annoyed:

:hugs: to everyone

#1444 #YKG

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

Maree I’ve not tried lady shake, but have done others, it works while you are on it, but when you come off the shakes, goes back on.

Also a lot of those shakes are loaded with sugar. I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast, but really low in sugar, it’s whey based, I get mine from the local supplement/nutrition store, they cater hugely to body builders and physic models.

Edited by #YKG, 23 September 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#1445 mayahlb

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

Why does the weight I lose have to be in weird spots? My thighs have thinned. But my hips and belly haven't so pants now look weird and baggy.

How is everyone going? The thread is fairly quiet at the moment. I've finally dropped after plateauing for the last 10 days or so.

#1446 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:24 AM

I’ll join this thread!

I have a lot of weight to lose. I started in mid-July at around 105kg :’(

I have taken a low carb approach, and lost just over 10kg since mid July, currently at 95kg. I feel so much better, but also feel I have a long way to go.

Low carb works really well for me, in that I don’t have food cravings and hunger is very rarely present. My DP is also on board which makes it easier.

Most days I don’t eat breakfast, have a small lunch and make dinner the main meal. Dinner is meat and veg but we are good at making it interesting. My favourite is Mexican style mince baked in half a red capsicum with cheese on top. I could eat that every day. We use left over mince as an omelette filling for weekend brunches. Otherwise we have a curry with cauliflower rice, steak with a vegetable side, low carb burgers etc.

What gets to me is the crazy up and down of the scales. I accept that the overall pattern is down, but one day for no known reason the scale literally went up 1.5kg in one day. It is hard to stay positive when that kind of thing happens, but I am focused on the long term.

Hope everyone is travelling well!

#1447 mayahlb

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

Well done on the weight loss so far Tinkle Splashes!

Have you tried Happy scales? I found that useful as it averages out your loss so even when you have a random spike it still looks like you are losing weight.

#1448 #YKG

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:30 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 25 September 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

Why does the weight I lose have to be in weird spots? My thighs have thinned. But my hips and belly haven't so pants now look weird and baggy.

How is everyone going? The thread is fairly quiet at the moment. I've finally dropped after plateauing for the last 10 days or so.

I’m the same I thin out in my legs and collar bone area, but I’m still “round” in my torso.

Things are going weird for me, my weight isn’t really going anywhere I’m still dropping and gaining the same 2kg every week. But I’ve lost fat around my collar bones and legs, I’ve dropped cm’s but not weight. It’s so weird. I’m not sure if I’m possibly building muscle and dropping same weight in fat so cancelling each other out? I don’t know.

#1449 mayahlb

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

Losing CM if not kg is actually good YKG! That old phrase muscle weighs more then fat is actually about area. So the same area in muscle weighs more then fat. So it could be that is what’s going on. I’d call it progress anyway.

#1450 #YKG

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

Muscle is denser and more fiberous where as fat is “fluffier” for lack of better words. It’s just weird for me to not drop weight but drop cm’s considering I’m on the border of obese and morbidly obese, 1kg drop would have me in obese.

It’s frustrating in the last nearly 2 years I’ve gone from super obese, to morbidly obese, to obese and now back up to the border of both. I know it’s progress but just wanting to be able to see a change, I can’t see it but apparently others can.

Tinkle splashes that has been happening a lot of me lately, I’ll drop 1.5kg in a week, next day BAM between 1-2kg gain, and the cycle continues. Very disheartening.

Edited by #YKG, 25 September 2019 - 06:55 PM.

80 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 80 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.