Weight Loss Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
1780 replies to this topic

#1526 Fizgig

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

Jersey Caramel definitely give the podcast a listen! It really motivated me and I have altered my goal from a bigger short term loss, to a longer term loss but hopefully more consistent and easier to maintain because I am doing it gradually. It really just makes so much sense. He also talks about why we can't stop eating the yummy food when we start and that was also sensible.

Well done YKG and eigne on the losses!!

#1527 Caribou

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:09 AM

Morning everyone!

Down 100g to 72.2, I’ll take that small loss thank you!! Going back to IF where I don’t eat until lunch is making a difference. I think looking back over the last month it’s the snacking that killed me along with the cold I had in September.

I’m on volunteer duty today, so busy day telling people what to and not to do, along with ticket checking. Glad I find a committee that isn’t full of b**chy P&F mums, however I am
Up against some old people who are very against change (Volunteers), not the committee Itself, they’re desperate  For new young people. (Think CWA, but it’s not) my presence has rocked the boat. Little, nonetheless, most of the people are nice!!

Anyway, my legs should get a work out :D I’ll gain muscle weight for sure today so I do expect a bounce back up in scales.

#1528 Sancti-claws

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:14 AM

According to my stupid scales, I put on 3kg yesterday.

I mean, I know I took the eye off the ball, but 3kg?

#1529 Caribou

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:45 AM

Sounds like dodgy scales there, Scanti-Claws! I wouldn’t be trusting that either.

#1530 Sancti-claws

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:37 AM

True - but a timely kick up the back-side as I had gotten a little complacent!

The comment that I put on my support group board on FB this morning was:

When I stood on the scales this morning, they TOLD me that I had put on 3kg IN ONE DAY. That is something to shake a resolve... buuuut I have been doing this for 10 months now, and that 3kg means that the total is 13kg lower than the beginning rather than the 16 it was yesterday - and it is just a reminder to be more mindful on NFD, get my lazy ass out of bed again in the mornings for my walks (took the week off - what was I thinking! it helps my mental health as well as weight loss) and plan for a beautiful fast day tomorrow. Oh, and don't lick the bowl (I am cooking a heap of goodies for my daughter's old school's fete today). Its a marathon - this is just a water stop.

#1531 NeedSleepNow

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

Good luck Sancti-claws! Hopefully the scales will show a massive drop over the next few days.

I haven’t been very active in here, as I’ve not really been making any effort to lose weight over the past 6 weeks due to work stress. However, staying on the metformin to control my insulin resistance has at least prevented any weight gain, so I’m still hovering just above the 68kg mark. I went back and saw the endocrinologist who said if I can lose another 3kg they will retest, and see if I’ve made any inroads to overcoming it. I’m trialling 8 day’s of a keto (well close to) approach. I’m on day 2 and suffering! I’m a vegetarian and don’t eat egg, so it is very very restrictive. If I get anywhere in the 8 days then I’ll have a couple of days off and do another short stint. I’m only aiming to loose 500grams over the 8 days...with the insulin resistance that would still be a significant loss for me! I won’t weigh until next Saturday now though. I don’t want to get disheartened if it isn’t working.

#1532 Pocket...

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

Well done to everyone here!

I've been reading but still not really doing again lol. I'm still getting over a cold cough that started six weeks or so ago.

Interval weight loss makes sense to me. I seem to lose quickly, last year it was 7kg in 3 weeks, without too much effort, then my weight stayed the same for months, then life happened, didn't put the effort in, and I've gained 3kg back a few months ago and sat there for a while. I'll have to listen to the podcast.

I've got to get my motivation back as aside from carrying extra weight I feel much better when I'm eating well. Plus it's holding me back from my yoga. I get to positions where I feel like I could bend further and feel that I have me stretch in me but I've got fat in the way.

#1533 Caribou

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

Happy Monday everyone!

I'm glad to see some of us still sticking it out even if it's not going 100% great. Keep going, it's better than not trying at all. You're all doing incredible!

I'm happy with my losses this month, up 1.2kg loss for October, Hoping I can shave another 0.5kg by the month's end, but I do recognise that slow is best. Like others have said, its much more sustainable too.

I'm managing not eating until lunchtime much better now. If anything I feel loads better not having breakfast. I've upped lunch calories to make up for missing breakfast, but not so much that I defeat the purpose, just ensuring I get all my nutrients. I don't want to miss out on the important ones that will give me energy!

It seems having a black iced coffee in the morning is a very sustainable way to make it to lunch too! I never knew how good it tasted until I chucked in ice!

Scanti-claws, I hope those 3kgs disappeared!

Hang in there Pocket, you're still doing awesome.

NeedSleepNow - Have you tried IF? or 16:8? I was borderline insulin resistant and It really helped my weight loss to the point I am not at risk for IR now. my last glucose test put me at normal levels. Woot! If only It was the same during pregnancy!

Wishing everyone luck and Hope the week brings much weight loss!

#1534 Catzilla

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

Another 200g down this week, to 75.6kg.  So tired lately, so no real exercise being done, other than racing around like a headless chook at work.

#1535 NeedSleepNow

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

Caribou - 16/8 is basically my natural state, but I think my IR is pretty severe though, so makes it really tricky!

#1536 Caribou

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

NeedSleepNow, on 14 October 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

Caribou - 16/8 is basically my natural state, but I think my IR is pretty severe though, so makes it really tricky!

Bother, that does make it tricky :( my only other thought was to limit carbs and sugar. I do love my bread though. I allow myself to it once a week! (I have PCOS, carbs are NOT my friends!)

I hope you get your insulin down to a manageable level plus weight loss super soon!

#1537 Beancat

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

Back on track
3.3kg down in 10 days....yeah yeah
Am wearing a dress today that I have not worn for 6 months at least and damn it feels good

Now I know this rate of loss wont continue - my goal is 1 kg per week until Christmas.  At this rate my aim is to be 13kg down by xmas day - I should be a comfortable size 14 by then

#1538 Caribou

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:17 PM

Whooo! Great news BeanCat!

#1539 Beancat

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

Pocket..., on 13 October 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Well done to everyone here!

I've been reading but still not really doing again lol. I'm still getting over a cold cough that started six weeks or so ago.

Interval weight loss makes sense to me. I seem to lose quickly, last year it was 7kg in 3 weeks, without too much effort, then my weight stayed the same for months, then life happened, didn't put the effort in, and I've gained 3kg back a few months ago and sat there for a while. I'll have to listen to the podcast.

I've got to get my motivation back as aside from carrying extra weight I feel much better when I'm eating well. Plus it's holding me back from my yoga. I get to positions where I feel like I could bend further and feel that I have me stretch in me but I've got fat in the way.

This is me exactly. I tend to lose in bursts and then sit for a while, maybe put on a little and then go again. I need to live - I cant live a strict life on a diet all the time.

I too feel so much better when eating well and not drinking wine.  The big thing for me though is exercise.  If I prioritise exercise I drink less and eat better - its like my body craves good nutrition if I am exercising

#1540 Sancti-claws

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:57 PM

Dodgy scales gave me a 1.6kg loss today!!!

You gotta laugh (its good for weight reduction)

#1541 Lifesgood

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:59 PM

:ph34r: sneaking quietly back in here. I fell off the wagon and regained my 1 and a bit kgs I had so painstakingly lost. Back to nearly 64kg which I discovered puts me at the very top of the healthy BMI range - ie borderline overweight.

So I'm back on the wagon today. Kind of. May have snacked on potato chips this afternoon.

New goal is to lose 2 kgs by the time we head off overseas on 9 December.

#1542 Odd-1-Out

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

Im still here going to the gym and maintaining. I have a really big craving for pizza. Good thing im in bed lol.

Caribou the black iced coffee sounds yum!

#1543 Maree83

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:18 PM

Hey guys,  I haven't moved on the scales, but haven't gone up, so that's something.
I am thinking about going on the keto diet with my husband.  Has anyone else tried it? Apparently,  a lot of his work colleagues have had success on it.
I have done a bit of reading on it tonight,  not too keen on the over consumption of fat, but I do know, I eat way too many carbs.
Think I might ease my way into it, and see how I go.

#1544 Sancti-claws

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:52 AM

A girlfriend of mine did the LCHF version - lost heaps of weight but put it and some back on again when she stopped.

#1545 Maree83

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:35 AM

Well, that's not good. Still think I will try a modified version of it. I know I eat a lot more carbs than I probably should.  Nice to hear about someone else's experience though.

#1546 mayahlb

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

I also know people who have done keto and it worked well. Until they stopped and then gained all of it back. I just work in eating less carbs then I used to and more vegetables and protein sources. That seems to be working for me so far.

Post AF bounce here. Only 400g so not too bad. I did eat cake and spaghetti last night, but let’s just say day one of term 4 did not go well. And then a child insisted on baking a cake which he then served up...

#1547 NeedSleepNow

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Maree - I’m on day 5 of basically a keto diet. I’m finding it hard, although I don’t eat eggs or red meat, so it is more limited to me. I won’t weigh in until day 8, so am not sure how it is going. I certainly haven’t had that large initial drop that everyone talks about though. My main concern is virtually all the anecdotal evidence and stories I’ve come across suggests that the weight just comes back on as soon as more balanced eating resumes. I don’t want to go my whole life without eating a wide variety of vegetables and fruit, or the odd bit of bread, so the sustainability aspect concerns me.

#1548 eigne

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

89.1kg this morning. At first I was happy, but then I realised that 500g of that was my haircut, so I’m actually no change in over 10 days which is a bit frustrating.
Trying to drink lots of water today and stay positive.

#1549 Maree83

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Nice to hear about others experiences. I don't think I will go full ketones, but I definitely have to cut back on carbs, and try to eat a more balanced diet.
I think it can be so easy to turn to convenience when it comes to food. I have heard mixed reviews,  but there's also some aspects of keto that makes sense.  I guess there's positives and negatives in everything.

#1550 Odd-1-Out

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:32 PM

Maree I lost 46 kilos on a very low carb diet, when you have reached your goal you have to introduce carbs slowly, that is the key to not regaining the weight.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.