Weight Loss Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
1566 replies to this topic

#751 Fizgig

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

Jersey Caramel that sounds eminently sensible. As well as a lot more sustainable for those who find sticking to a diet/calorie restriction hard. Something to think about!

#752 Odd-1-Out

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:53 PM

Jersey Caramel, on 18 June 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

I have been doing lots of reading about interval weight loss (i.e. lose a bit of weight,  then maintain for a bit,  repeat) and am pretty convinced that it's the way to go for me.  I am now down 3.6kg, and even though it is SOOO tempting to keep dropping (as the weight is falling off so easily), I am going to try to just maintain for about 10 days. I have started to notice myself getting hungrier,  and less satisfied after meals,  which I think is the first sign that your body is starting to fight back against the weight loss. So I am going to add in some extra food, but still make it good nutritious choices and not chips and chocolate! :lol:

If there are any other science nerds like me,  this journal article is really interesting.  They showed in a randomised controlled trial that obese men lost more weight,  and kept it off better,  if they followed a 2 week calorie restriction followed by 2 weeks of maintenance calories for 8 rounds, than if they did 16 weeks of continuous calorie restriction. The theory is that having a break from the calorie deficit stops your body from making the adaptations (lowering your metabolism,  increasing hunger hormones etc) that cause slowing of weight loss and then rebound weight gain.

https://www.nature.c...cles/ijo2017206

I have been doing something similar. Although in my case it was losing 10 -15 kilos and then maintain for several months then repeat. I had a lot of weight to lose though. I think it is great to maintain for a while as it proves to me that this is permenant.

#753 Caribou

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:19 AM

I agree pausing and maintaining is a great way to go. Definitely need to give body time to adjust.

TOM arrived though that did throw my ovulation calculations off by 2 days, nonetheless, it’s here.
Scales says I’m 77 today. I checked twice! Posted Image. I’ve finally surpassed DH’s weight. Posted Image he’s a freaking beanpole and could do with more weight. He agrees but doesn’t remember to eat. It’s not lack of eating it’s just he gets so stuck into things and doesn’t remember to refuel. I try load up his dinner more than mine but I swear he has a fast metabolism.

But 77!! Posted Image 2 more kilos to my mini target of 75kilos. I expect everything to start stalling for a while now. I might see 75  towards the other end of next month. I’d had a goal
Of 75 by 5th July, but that’s too optimistic seeing where I am at scales and my current loss rate. Nonetheless, 77!!!

YKG, you must have willpower of steel. I TTC for 5 years before getting DS and I peed on a stick about a million times from 7dpo. Posted Image thank goodness for ICs good luck though. I hope it’s a BFP.

Edited by Caribou, 19 June 2019 - 10:27 AM.

#754 Jersey Caramel

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:32 AM

Congrats on 77kg Caribou! It's nice when you get those bigger losses and start seeing numbers you haven't seen for a long time! :)

#755 Odd-1-Out

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Well done Caribou!

#756 mayahlb

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

Well done caribou!

#757 Rainyeyes

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

That's great Caribou!

I am still chugging along and down .5kg so happy with that.

#758 red_squirrel

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

Excuse me for butting in but I have a question and someone might be able to help.

I’ve need to start on losing weight for a while but can’t get into the right headspace. I’m currently tracking in the opposite direction to all of you. So good on you all for doing it.

One weird thing I found that helps is to not wear sweet perfumes with vanilla etc in them. They just make me hungry.

Anyway the question is about the new version of weight watchers. Does the zero point food idea work? I can see my self over eating on that. Also does the ‘headspace’ meditation thing help or is it just annoying.

I did 3 months of ww many years ago and I didn’t much like it but I stuck to it because I had paid for it.
It seems very different now.

Is anyone using it now and how do you find it?
I need something to make me accountable.

#759 Odd-1-Out

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

red_squirrel, on 19 June 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

Excuse me for butting in but I have a question and someone might be able to help.

I’ve need to start on losing weight for a while but can’t get into the right headspace. I’m currently tracking in the opposite direction to all of you. So good on you all for doing it.

One weird thing I found that helps is to not wear sweet perfumes with vanilla etc in them. They just make me hungry.

Anyway the question is about the new version of weight watchers. Does the zero point food idea work? I can see my self over eating on that. Also does the ‘headspace’ meditation thing help or is it just annoying.

I did 3 months of ww many years ago and I didn’t much like it but I stuck to it because I had paid for it.

Hi redsquirrel you should private message FiveAus she has had great success with WW and will know all about it. I think she has lost all her weight now so not part of this thread.

#760 Sweet.Pea

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

red_squirrel, on 19 June 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

The zero point foods are foods you can't really eat too much of (well I couldn't).

Things like fruit/vegetables, so you would be full with low calorie content. Also the meats included are lean. You know how much a serve is, but even if you go over the serve with veggies, you will be full.

I don't use it but did a while ago, and that's what I got out of the zero points and how it worked.

Hopefully that makes sense.

#761 Caribou

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

Hi Red Squirrel, I know nothing about WW so I am no help there sorry, But I will say, I did use the 12WBT for two rounds to get me into a good place to lose weight. Firth round i did exercise until about 8 weeks and was like uhhhhh nah. did the next round and did zero exercise but like previous round I reduced my calorie intake. now, I could't really survive on MB's rec of 1200 calories, so I upped it to 1300-1400 and was able to still successfully lose weight. I used a lot of her recipes, and when it looked bland, added spices to give it flavour.

from there, it was enough for me to continue on my own using Myfitnesspall to track all my food intake for the day. So I get wanting to use something like WW to get started on a better path. but i do agree you definitely need to be in the right headspace, I think i must have stopped and started so many times in my 20's before finally figuring it out in my early 30's!

MyFitnessPal also has a health forum and lots of users there can give experience and advice over the WW program or what really works. in my opinion? no matter what rule you apply to your eating (keto, low carb, paleo, vegetarian, etc etc) you still need to count the calories for the day and stick close to that limit to lose or maintain weight, depending what you're trying to do at the time.

Good luck, it's a tough journey, food is my life and i love eating, but i also recognise it's not all good for me!

#762 NeedSleepNow

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

Red Squirrel - are you able to exercise? I found in the initial stages I could more easily force myself to exercise than make other changes.

I was down to 71 this morning, but the bloating has well and truly kicked in with ovulation, so I’m guessing weight will go back up over the next few days. I did have Maccas for dinner, but we move house tomorrow so today has been pretty intensive physical activity!

#763 Fizgig

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

Red Squirrel - I also found the head space an issue for getting moving on being serious about weight loss, but I got there when only a few of my clothes fit and I had very few choices. and this group is keeping me motivated. My friend is doing the new weight watchers and I would say has lost about 10 kg. She mentioned the zero points food and said it was really aimed at getting you to eat more fruit and veggies. She said any processed food is really high in points so if you choose a muesli bar for morning tea that might be 1/3 of your daily allowance but if you have fruit its no points. I think the aim is to try to change eating overall rather than short term.

#764 Jersey Caramel

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:13 PM

Red Squirrel - I found the best way for me to get into the right headspace to lose weight was to make some gradual non-weight healthy lifestyle changes. Each week or two I would pick a new one to make a habit...it was less overwhelming than trying to do a major overhaul all at once,  and because they were nothing to do with changing what I ate,  it felt easier. Once I had made a few changes,  I was feeling healthier and in a good frame of mind to approach weight loss as a way to look after myself, rather than punishing or depriving myself. Some of my 'healthy habits' were:
- Get (or aim to get) at least 7 hours sleep per night (i.e. don't watch that 'just one more' episode on Netflix!)
- Replace late evening snack with a herbal or decaf tea (eventually built this up to make sure I got a 12-hour fast overnight,  and then extended this to 14-15 hours).
- Hit 10,000 steps at least 6 days/week
- Drink more water
- Cut out between-meal snacks,  unless I was really hungry.  Increase amount and nutrition of main meals to ensure I feel satisfied (but not overfull) after each meal.

Good luck with whatever approach you decide to take!

#765 Sancti-claws

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

My boss at work with WW with his wife and lost a bit of weight - he quite enjoyed the app, but I am afraid that his wife did all of his meal prep so I am not sure what decision making was going on his end at all!!!

Another fast day tomorrow.  I actually look forward to them because I am so prepared these days.

#766 mayahlb

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

Red Squirrel I don't really know anything about WW. I do have a friend who had good luck with them, but she also built up doing a decent amount of exercise slowly. I think getting in the right head space is key though. I know this is why my DH has struggled. He knows he needs to lose weight but he's not ready to lose it even though it is starting to make an impact on his health. Maybe talking to a counselor might help? Or like Jersey Caramel mentioned, make small changes every week or every other week, so what you are doing is sustainable.

I struggle with it because up until I turned 32 I never put on weight or struggled with weight (or lost it really, I was literally 58kg since I turned 21 until 32, except when pregnant). Then my thyroid went wacky and here I am trying to lose weight and change habits that have been ingrained for years and years. My thyroid is fine now, but I'm still carrying the extra weight. And I completely suck at sticking to anything long term so anything I do do have to be sustainable. Or I'll end up yoyoing. I do find this thread helpful, they motivate me to keep going even when the scales are going up down up down up down.

Talking of which I was up a bit today. I've eaten something the other day that's been giving me really bad bloat and weight is up, but I don't know what. I barely at yesterday because I felt off, and today I'm trying to resist the sugar cravings because I slept like crap. Not that I have much of an appetite anyway with the bloat and low grade nausea. Which means my body was sugar and carbs...

Edited by mayahlb, 20 June 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#767 ERipley

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:39 AM

I’m down today, 600g, but given the plateau I’m expecting it to be up again tomorrow. Still, jeans are ever comfier, skin looking so much better. Just concentrating on the forever lifestyle change while hoping for a concrete indication of success on the scales.

Short kids yoga now then vegetable soup!

#768 mayahlb

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:11 PM

That's great ERipley.

#769 Caribou

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:13 PM

ERIpley, are you using a weight trend app?

#770 Navy Blue

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:25 PM

Ten days in, and today is the first time I've really struggled.  I just want all the food, but have tried to keep busy and will have an early night.

It helps to plan the next days food in my head, so something to look forward to. And Saturday is treat day yay!

#771 Sweet.Pea

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

Navy Blue, on 20 June 2019 - 08:25 PM, said:

Ten days in, and today is the first time I've really struggled.  I just want all the food, but have tried to keep busy and will have an early night.

It helps to plan the next days food in my head, so something to look forward to. And Saturday is treat day yay!

I struggled Wednesday and yesterday. Wednesday I refused to give in but yesterday I could see today being a struggle so just did it.

Well today I feel terrible. Not mentally but physically. I don't regret it, because lesson learnt. Plenty of salad here today.

I think it's the cold weather. And we look to food for comfort.

#772 Caribou

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

Up 1.2kilos overnight. Whoops. I do know I got takeaway burger and chips last night, DH and I swapped roles yesterday, he had the toddler all day and I, I went to work outside of the home :lol: let’s say we both were sufficiently exhausted. I’m glad DH has a better inkling of just what the terrible twos are. :lol:

Hopefully by Monday I’ll be back to a more acceptable weight, I did get down to 76.9 kilos I was like, so close! I ate well right until dinner time. Think that killed the calorie limit 4 times over last night.

#773 mayahlb

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

I'm in the same boat caribou, DH bought home mint slices and timtams. I grumbled at him about bringing treats into the house when we are both trying to lose weight and then proceeded to eat 4... likely in response to stress over a kid who after 4 years seems to be having asthma issues again.

I've plateaued around 65.4/5 I looked at my cycle app and yep, just about to ovulate. I really want to go back down to the 64 range.

#774 Jersey Caramel

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:21 AM

Navy Blue, on 20 June 2019 - 08:25 PM, said:

I think when you get extra hungry like that,  it can help to go to maintenance calories for a few days (or if you aren't counting calories,  add in an extra meal or increase amount until you feel satisfied - not overfull).  You can fit in extra food,  or some treat food,  without feeling like you have thrown in the towel and going crazy and bingeing. I don't like to white-knuckle through the hunger,  because for me it just makes it worse and makes me obsess about the food I am being deprived of!

#775 Caribou

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:23 AM

Jersey Caramel, on 21 June 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

I think when you get extra hungry like that,  it can help to go to maintenance calories for a few days (or if you aren't counting calories,  add in an extra meal or increase amount until you feel satisfied - not overfull).  You can fit in extra food,  or some treat food,  without feeling like you have thrown in the towel and going crazy and bingeing. I don't like to white-knuckle through the hunger,  because for me it just makes it worse and makes me obsess about the food I am being deprived of!

I agree. I tend to go to maintenance calories during Ovulation and TOM otherwise I over eat. It’s only 1-3 days I do this in a month and I don’t stabotage myself by doing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.