Sharing a nanny

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kattikat

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

A few of us just mums were bemoaning the lack of childcare/logistics etc etc recently and we where if it is possible to split a nanny's services. For example, the nanny could take two lots of kids (so maybe 4 kids) or even get 2 nannies for 6 kids or something. I'm assuming there would be ratios etc that would need to be adhered to. Has anyone done this? Any advice or pointing out if I'm missing something really obvious appreciated!

#2 Kattikat

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

Don't know how to edit my post: should read 'kinder mums' not 'just mums'! 'Just' is not a word that should ever be used in the same sentence as the word 'mum'!

#3 Mands09

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:39 PM

Looking after that many kids is hard work and you may struggle to find a nanny willing to actually look after 3-4 kids firstly.

Things to think about -

What happens when the nanny is sick? Will you each take a turn using a day sick leave looking after all the kids?
What happens when one of the kids is sick? Will you still get the parent to pay for a day of care they miss?
What if they give enough notice they aren’t going to be there like a holiday in 2 months time etc?
Who’s house is it going to be at?
Will the kids all eat the same food? (Way easier for the nanny) if so will you roster turns making lunches etc for the kids or is it left to who’s house it’s in and they pay a bit less towards the nanny?

How are you going to manage different rules/routines? Things like the kids all go to parent x house and parent x is okay with the kids doing y thing and their kids regularly do y but you don’t like this. But hard for the nanny to police this sort of stuff with 3-4 kids around.

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

All of that, plus if there’s an odd number of children, do you split it 50:50 or base it on the number of children?

Car seats - if travel is involved, it will limit options, e.g.for kinder pick-up.

More children will mean less opportunities for the nanny to take the children out, even to the park.

#5 Reno-chic

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

I think this works in particular circumstances. My friend and I shared our nanny for school pick up for our 2 5year old boys last year. One day she’d bring them back to our house and one day theirs. She’d feed both dinner at whichever house they were at and the other parents would pick their child up from there.
It was fantastic - but we each only had one (school aged) child.
We both have now had our second babies - 10 and 7 months old - and I can’t see how it would work now. 4 kids, 2 lots of kids in car seats and naps and other higher maintenance stuff for the little ones. Not really practical for the little ones to be looked after outside of their own home for long periods (where there isn’t necessarily double the ‘gear’ needed - cot etc).

#6 just roses

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:12 PM

I have known people in a jobshare situation that have shared a nanny. So the nanny would look after person A's kids Monday - Wednesday and person B's kids Thursday - Friday. That way, the nanny gets to work a full week.

#7 Fresh Start

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:52 PM

Our nanny was shared as just roses has posted. I went back to work the 2 days she was available around my friend from mothers group - she introduced us as they were using her three days per week.

We each had two kids who needed car seats so sharing same days wouldn’t work.

#8 JomoMum

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:30 AM

I worked as a nanny for two families at one time.

As the nanny, it was a nightmare in that particular situation.

Different parenting styles, equal time spent on all children .. it’s like having two, or more, bosses, each who expect different things.

Annual and personal leave can be an issue with so many parties involved, super needs to be paid for more than 30 hours a week.

There are no ratios that apply in private arrangements like this. You may find it difficult to source a Nanny experienced and confident enough to work in a situation like that.

I am sure it works for some families, and in theory it sounds like such an easy fix, but the situation you describe sounds difficult to manage from a parent perspective, especially if you’re relying on it so that you can be at work yourself.

Sorry to come in and be so negative about it. But it was my experience :(

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

We have a nanny, and I’ve thought about maybe sharing, and a friend actually asked (for like half a day a week to drop her child off) and in the end I wouldn’t do it.

More than 2-3 kids is hard. Having 4 kids of a similar age (so let’s say they’re all aged 4 and below) would be really hard for a nanny and You would struggle to find a good one who would take that on. Also, you would have to pay extra for a good nanny that will take that on, so the costs may not be beneficial.

Then there is splitting the cost, what happens if the nanny is sick or one child is sick, or one family goes on holiday and the other family doesn’t. What happens if one parent starts early and another ends late, will the nanny be at someone’s house for 12 hours? Who’s house will host the 4 kids? Cause that house will get trashed. No housework will be done by a nanny who has 4 kids to look after. And as Pp’s have said, tricky to do kinder drops offs or go on activities when you have 4 kids in car seats. Who’s car do they use?

I would consider it for after school care, for a few hours, only. For older kids.

#10 Kattikat

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

Thanks so much everyone, exactly the kind of points I needed. I missed many very obvious things in my hairbrained scheme! Think I'll be sticking with daycare until the kiddies are older, I like the idea of sharing one for school/kinder pick up etc. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.