Where to buy family toilet training seat

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Purple Polka Dots

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

I am wanting to be ready for when TT happens.

I have seen 'family' toilet seats at Bunnings, where they are two lids - with the first lid being a smaller seat. I like this option as I would prefer not to use a potty if I can avoid it.

Only problem is, we have a new toilet. It's one of those ones that goes right up against the wall, and the seat is almost an oval shape - very straight down the sides, with a large curve at the end.

Any suggestions on where I might find something suitable?

#2 hills mum bec

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

You get something like this that just sits on the top of your existing toilet seat and can easily be taken off when they have finished.

https://www.bigw.com...potty/p/845674/

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:21 PM

The round bunnings one will likely still fit. I bought one, and it doesn’t match the profile of our toilet perfectly but it’s not totally noticeable. White seat on white toilet, it all matches. You will struggle to find an alternative one. (I looked)

I hope you have daughters though, I’ve found the kids seat completely useless for boys. When they sit they need the upraised front pee catching bit or they pee straight ahead. Otherwise they stand to pee. Plus they need steps to get up there. So we ended up with an all in one steps and seat thing anyway.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 07 May 2019 - 02:21 PM.

#4 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:21 PM

They don't need the training insert for long, they end up balancing on the front, holding the seat on the sides. They learn pretty quick once they start using public toilets etc. Just get a sit on top insert and stick a hook on the wall to store it.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

Not sure if this helps but DS just pointed (alright demanded) to the toilet and wanted to climb on so we sat him on it.

I think he thought he was missing out on something exciting!

we never used a insert/seat thingy

(he sat on a potty at first for a couple of goes but got bored of that quick smart!)

#6 Ellie bean

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

Just thought I’d mention, my son was really scared of the toilet even with an insert, so we had to start with a potty anyway. It’s all very dependent on your individual child
Good luck!

#7 José

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 07 May 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

They don't need the training insert for long, they end up balancing on the front, holding the seat on the sides. They learn pretty quick once they start using public toilets etc. Just get a sit on top insert and stick a hook on the wall to store it.

not my DS. he loves the insert. and has for 2 years now!
we have a lupi lu one.

#8 Future-self

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

We have the lupi lu one too.
No troubles with DS using it to sit and pee (or the normal seat either) he learned that you tuck your penis down when you sit and we never had a “peeing straight ahead” issue.
We have a cheap footstool from big w to help them get up there. I find Potties gross and didn’t want that in my life

#9 EmmDasher

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

We had the Lupilu one too and it was awesome. So much better than a removeable insert and my kids used it for years.

#10 LittleMissPink

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

My kids are long past toilet training but we still have the family toilet seat, as its the nicest one to sit on Ive ever used!

Visiting toddlers use the smaller seat insert.

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

We have the Aldi step/seat thingy & it works great.

I have 2 boys & both are made to sit down at home, because neither can aim very well & both DH & I were sick to death of cleaning up after them.

#12 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

I have trained three children successfully without a training seat or a potty. Just another thing that will end up in landfill. Little people learn pretty quickly to hold on, after all they won't only be using a toilet at home.

Save your $$.

#13 Ellie bean

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 08 May 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

I have trained three children successfully without a training seat or a potty. Just another thing that will end up in landfill. Little people learn pretty quickly to hold on, after all they won't only be using a toilet at home.

Save your $$.
Congratulations. You win all the parenting awards. Suspect though that if you had a daughter with chronic cmpi and chronic constipation, and then a hysterical little boy sobbing in fear of the toilet, you probably would have bought the $15 potty.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 07 May 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

Of all the kids I know, none of them would have been happy to do this, especially for a poo. You need to relax to do a poo, not hold on tight so you don’t fall in. A smaller seat to suit a smaller bum is a pretty normal thing to offer.

Save your $$.

#15 seayork2002

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 08 May 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

Of all the kids I know, none of them would have been happy to do this, especially for a poo. You need to relax to do a poo, not hold on tight so you don’t fall in. A smaller seat to suit a smaller bum is a pretty normal thing to offer.

I am only commenting on my son not others nor whether the seat insert is useful or not!!! but he used the potty 3 times then just the normal toilet after that he sat to both wee and poo till he was probably 4ish

He has never used an insert nor did I nor my brother and sister growing up

Nor any of the kids I have babysat over the years

again I am not saying not to buy it!!! but kids managed well before they were invented

#16 Ellie bean

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

Well I suspect they were invented for a reason ie some kids coped and some didn’t...

#17 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

A seat insert is far cheaper to purchase than a double seat toilet seat set. And all of DS friends aged 4 and 5 don't use them anymore anyway. It's something that's only needed for 2 or 3 years.

#18 LittleMissPink

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

Save your $$.

Well done you. I have a child with developmental delay, who couldnt even sit on the toilet until she was 3 1/2, and would fall in as she wasnt strong enough to hold herself up with her arms. She needed a smaller seat. Just because you did it, doesnt mean we all had to.

#19 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

Save your $$.

you must have a really small toilet, my average sized 5 year old is still more comfortable on the small seat than the regular seat, he hates having to balance himself & do his business.

#20 EmmDasher

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

Save your $$.

I often wonder if people realize how insufferable these type of comments sound to parents with kids that don’t take to toileting like a duck to water.

#21 seayork2002

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:55 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 08 May 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

I often wonder if people realize how insufferable these type of comments sound to parents with kids that don’t take to toileting like a duck to water.

I took it to mean as the op has not yet started tt then a tip to save the money

#22 EmmDasher

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 08 May 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

I took it to mean as the op has not yet started tt then a tip to save the money

Of course it wasn’t. If they meant that, they would have said, ‘oh hey, OP have you given it a go without a potty or insert, you might not need it?’ You don’t need to go full sanctimummy to ask a question.

Who knows... the OP might just want the family seat to have less clutter and because it looks nicer.

#23 Nobodyelse

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 07 May 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

I hope you have daughters though, I’ve found the kids seat completely useless for boys. When they sit they need the upraised front pee catching bit or they pee straight ahead. Otherwise they stand to pee. Plus they need steps to get up there. So we ended up with an all in one steps and seat thing anyway.

Not in my house. DS has always sat to pee and instinctual knew to push his willy downward. He still prefers to sit but will stand at school (because the cubicle have spiders).

DD on the other hand, refused any insert whatsoever because how can she sink her tush so far into the toilet I'm sure it is touching water and aim her vulva horizontally toward the gap between the seat and the bowl causing all kinds of mess? She's a talent.

#24 Paddlepop

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

OP: Might be easier and cheaper to get a seat insert like this one from Target. It sits underneath the normal toilet seat for the little people and remove it when the big people need the toilet.
https://www.target.c...-white/59013938
A step stool like this will help the child get on and off the toilet more easily, and give their feet somewhere to rest when on the toilet.
https://www.target.c...-stool/60532015

Save your $$.

:rolleyes:  Well good for you and your perfect children. We don't all have perfect normal children who develop according to the standard milestones.

View PostEllie bean, on 08 May 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Congratulations. You win all the parenting awards. Suspect though that if you had a daughter with chronic cmpi and chronic constipation, and then a hysterical little boy sobbing in fear of the toilet, you probably would have bought the $15 potty.

Exactly. Couldn't even get my DD near the toilet until we medicated her for anxiety. She'd cry, scream and have a meltdown. She was terrified.

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 08 May 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

Exactly. My DD used to be so scared of falling into the toilet, and quite frankly she would have because she had a small bum. Holding on the seat while perched on the edge of it was not a conducive position for her to do a poo. A wee while out with no small seat was bad enough.

View PostLittleMissPink, on 08 May 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

Well done you. I have a child with developmental delay, who couldnt even sit on the toilet until she was 3 1/2, and would fall in as she wasnt strong enough to hold herself up with her arms. She needed a smaller seat. Just because you did it, doesnt mean we all had to.

Developmental issues here too. I get it.

View PostEmmDasher, on 08 May 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

They probably don't even pause for long enough to listen.

#25 Purple Polka Dots

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:34 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions.

My 2.5yr old is terrified of the toilet - lots of sobbing if we try, so we have stopped for the moment, and hoping to just get ready with some items and try again after winter.

I was keen for an all in one seat for it just looking neater. It is more expensive, but I’m happy to pay so that it still looks half decent. I find it difficult when I feel like my house is over run with baby/kids stuff

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.