Under His Eye - Georgia law is heinous

• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:58 AM

The US state of Georgia has signed into law one of the most heinous anti-abortion laws ever.

It will be illegal to seek an abortion after 6 weeks and doing so can result in charges of conspiracy to commit murder.  Actually getting the abortion will be considered murder.  Going out of state for one will also be murder.  And helping someone leave the state to get an abortion will be conspiracy to commit murder.

But it gets worse.

Miscarriage may also result in imprisonment.

That's right.  Miscarriage.

"A woman who miscarries because of her own conduct – say, using drugs while pregnant – would be liable for second-degree murder, punishable by 10 to 30 years’ imprisonment," law reporter Mark Joseph Stern writes in [url="https://slate.com/ne...-in-prison.html"%5DSlate%5B/url%5D.

"Prosecutors may interrogate women who miscarry to determine whether they can be held responsible; if they find evidence of culpability, they may charge, detain, and try these women for the death of their fetuses."

Which means that if you miscarry in Georgia you will can be interrogated and if the men in charge consider that anything at all that you did may possibly have contributed to that miscarriage you can be found guilty of second degree murder.

Under his eye indeed.

The US is terrifying.

#2 Catticus

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

That is truly frightening.

No doubt it will be challenged under the constitution, but still. A death penalty for basic health care.

To even get to the point where they are attacking women for miscarrying is vile. Killing someone because they suffered a tragedy in their lives is extremist view put into place.

A country where women really are being told exactly what men think of them. Controllable. Disposable. Non-human.

I think Georgian women need to migrate to neighbouring states en masse, just to make a point.

#3 IamzFeralz

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

Gosh if I was a young Georgian woman, I would be making plans to leave the State permanently.  I think some Christian fundamentalists have a very totalitarian viewpoint of interfering in people’s lives.

#4 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

and the supreme court is stacked with forced birthers for judges now.

and if women are caught planning to go to another state for a termination, a new law might charge them with criminal conspiracy.

we can never be complacent. this could happen here. they hate us, and they want to control us. this isn’t about sanctity of life - this is misogyny. this is about control.

#5 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

This is truely terrifying.

The miscarriage stuff is without words vile.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 09 May 2019 - 07:28 AM.

#6 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:29 AM

Gilead/Georgia

#7 Mumma3

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

Gosh, so many women blame themselves and ask “what did I do” when they have a miscarriage.
Just raising that sort of grief and questioning could potentially result in a murder charge.
Horrifying.

#8 Caribou

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

Far out. I hope the women leave state ASAP.

Though I think as people leave, those who believe in the law will come in replacing them. Under his eye indeed. That show scares me so much.

Edited by Caribou, 09 May 2019 - 07:39 AM.

#9 onetrick

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

That is utterly terrifying. 6 weeks?? If we weren't ttc I would have had no idea I was pregnant at 6 weeks.
Those poor women :(

#10 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

the thing is - many women would have voted for the monsters who enacted this. internalised misogyny and religion. religion needs to get the **** out of politics.

#11 JRA

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

Just terrible. shocking.  But it is worse when you read the article, there are many states who are in the process of doing similar and have law ready for Rowe/Wade being overturned.

I would assume this means that if a pregnant woman is murdered the murderer can be charged with the murder of the woman AND of the foetus. That is a big change.

#12 AliasMater

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 09 May 2019 - 07:39 AM, said:

the thing is - many women would have voted for the monsters who enacted this. internalised misogyny and religion. religion needs to get the **** out of politics.

Was about to say...

Just as many women support this as men. I don't think our sex will be leaving the state in droves at all.

#13 Literary Lemur

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:45 AM

Will that also mean that violent men who cause the death of a fetus could also be executed? That could be the only possible silver lining.

So "Pro Life" laws can end in execution?

And of course this law will disproportionally impact the poor and those with mental illnesses.

Just horrific..

Edited by Literary Lemur, 09 May 2019 - 08:49 AM.

#14 daisy007

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:45 AM

That’s sickening and terrifying.

#15 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

My fear is for those who have to take medications while pregnant (eg for Epilepsy, Anxiety, Depression) and potentially have a miscarriage. Will the medications be deemed to be the cause and hence the women are charged for looking after their own health? Not taking these medications can cause major risks to the mother.

#16 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

Terrifying! So basically women should only be prepared to have sex if they are willing to have a child (as we all know prevention methods are fallible, including having your tubes tied). There should be a lot of grumpy men as a result of this law, but I don’t suppose it will work that way.

#17 SelceLisbeth

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 09 May 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

and the supreme court is stacked with forced birthers for judges now.

and if women are caught planning to go to another state for a termination, a new law might charge them with criminal conspiracy.

we can never be complacent. this could happen here. they hate us, and they want to control us. this isn’t about sanctity of life - this is misogyny. this is about control.

My bold. This bears repeating. Look who we have in charge right now.

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

Terrifying. Religious fundamentalism always seems to = control and subordination of women, whatever the religion. Extremism is spreading.

#19 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

I can't describe how disgusted, angry and fearful I am for women there.
Truly vile on every single level
It has reduced women to a mere incubator

I hope women leave in droves.

#20 71Cath

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

Horrific.  I cannot understand the women who vote for the men who make these laws.

#21 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

https://disq.us/url?...nM&cuid=3669223

Hope link works
Under this law, an 11yr old rape victim who has unfortunately fallen pregnant would be forced to give birth

I can even....... I was 12 when I was raped, if I had fallen pregnant it would have been 2 choices. Abortion or suicide.
There is nothing pro life about this law

#22 Mumma3

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

nasty squeekums I’m so sorry that happened to you. I hope this isn’t triggering any awful stuff for you.

#23 dadwasathome

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 09 May 2019 - 07:29 AM, said:

Gilead/Georgia

Not that I disagree, but I was reading that Georgia is the fourth southern state to introduce a similar vile, repressive, dangerous law.

#24 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

View PostMumma3, on 09 May 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

nasty squeekums I’m so sorry that happened to you. I hope this isn’t triggering any awful stuff for you.
Thanks, nah, not triggering for me. I'm angry on the poor girls behalf though
No female young or old should be forced to gestate after rape or even after consensual sex

#25 mayahlb

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:21 AM

I am appalled, and absolutely disgusted this has been written into law. Unfortunately I'm not surprised. And that just makes me sad and depressed. Women - only useful for sex and as a walking incubator.

But yeah we can't be complacent, look who we have in power at the moment. Isn't he a member of some borderline fundamental church? I'm pretty sure I recently saw a link to the dress code expected of women for his church and was horrified by the language used, reinforcing the concept that women are lesser, ignorant creatures, responsible for causing men to lust after them. Nevermind, men should have enough self control not to act like ignorant, sex obsessed twits. I could see him thinking this is a great thing...

ETA: I will say I have never thought of visiting the US because while they rampantly state they are the best country in the world, I always though they had a very strong fundamentalist/crazy theme going through the country. Even though individual american's I have worked/interacted with haven't seemed this way.

Edited by mayahlb, 09 May 2019 - 10:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.