Toileting inside when raining

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 eilca

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

Our pair of cavaliers have an aversion to getting their little feet wet during rain!

They have full access with a dog door, do not toilet inside during dry.  But choose the only mat in the downstairs area during rain. They are usually very clean and well behaved at 3 years old.  My husband thinks they become too elevated in hierarchy when they sleep upstairs with the kids and this is the route of their toileting  evil.

Help!

#2 Chicken Pie

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

what about those indoor grass mat potty thing - google "pet loo" which has a bunch or porch potty?

#3 kadoodle

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

Is kitty litter an option? One of my dogs used to always go there if she decided it was too cold and wet outside to leave the house.

#4 eilca

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

View PostChicken Pie, on 09 May 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

what about those indoor grass mat potty thing - google "pet loo" which has a bunch or porch potty?

They had one of these at our previous house as it was a courtyard back yard..  They did not always use it, choosing the pavers instead.

I had not thought of a litter tray in the laundry.  It might be worth a trial as I am sure they head to the dog door in laundry, poke out head and then retreat to mat in the study  The study is open plan so cannot be closed off.

I love them to bits, but they are rather precious and the wet.

#5 kadoodle

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

View Posteilca, on 09 May 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

They had one of these at our previous house as it was a courtyard back yard..  They did not always use it, choosing the pavers instead.

I had not thought of a litter tray in the laundry.  It might be worth a trial as I am sure they head to the dog door in laundry, poke out head and then retreat to mat in the study  The study is open plan so cannot be closed off.

I love them to bits, but they are rather precious and the wet.

Can you get them to poke their bum through the doggy door and go? Not ideal, but better than on the carpet.

#6 SelceLisbeth

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

One of my cats is like this. She hovers over the shower drain when she wants to wee but doesnt want to go outside. Im torn between being impressed and being grossed out.

I second the litter tray idea. Otherwise, maybe get a couple of old bathmats from an op shop and put it on a garbage bag maybe? Then you just chuck the bag and soak then wash one while you put another out?

#7 *Spikey*

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:30 PM

usually, the solution is to go back to puppy style toilet training.

So, 5-10 minutes after food, drink, waking or playing, you take them outdoors and wait until they go. Rain or not. You could try setting up a spot that is a bit more protected?

At any rate, you need to remove any pee smells, which means enzyme based cleaners - and possibly urine off if it's soaked into tiles and grout.  Chuck old rugs, or soak in Baby Nappy Napisan to remove the proteins that give the 'okay to pee here' signal.

When they go in the desired place, praise and offer treats (small bits of liver treat or something high value). The trick will be finding a rainy day to really get into practice.  If they are being unreliable indoors, you can crate them and control the timing of their exits and entries. They don't have to be free range until they are reliable.

Good luck.

#8 eilca

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

Thanks everyone.  Such good suggestions.

I think we need to look at a litter tray in the laundry.

#9 jayskette

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

our 2 cats and 1 dog sleep with us, and uses the opened shower basin to pee and the bathmat to poo when it rains... at least i dont need to clean the bathroom floor?!

#10 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

Somehow, we managed to get our pup to learn very quickly to go on an old brolly sheet that we had from the kids toilet training days. We have a few that we just rotate. Shes been really good lately. Lots of praise was involved initially though.

#11 Mollycoddle

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

View PostSelceLisbeth, on 09 May 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

Otherwise, maybe get a couple of old bathmats from an op shop and put it on a garbage bag maybe? Then you just chuck the bag and soak then wash one while you put another out?

I have to do this every night with my dog as we have a security screen door on the back so can't have a dog door. No laundry option as we've got a cupboard laundry in the kitchen. My mother who lives over the road got the dog for the kids but with the intention that it would spend nights at her place (she has a dog door). That only happened for a few weeks.

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

We have a laundry toilet because it has taken me time to convince others of the benefits of landscaping and gates.

In addition to the pet loo I put down a doggy training pad in front of it to catch the resulting wet feet - because the kitties seem to prefer peeing on fake grass to peeing in their covered litter box.

The training pad catches most of the poop the dog does as he spins around, pooping.

It’s not a perfect plan. I have a lot of bleach.

But at least it keeps it on the tiles and off any carpets.

Bring on the last bit of landscaping and pet proof gating in the next 10 weeks!!!

Edited by Expelliarmus, 11 May 2019 - 10:10 AM.

#13 eilca

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

Well, we have now relocated the study upstairs, ditched the mat and the tiled space is now the walker area (with lovely wall shelves).  SO no incidents the last 24 hours despite rain.

I do think the mat/rug reminded them of the texture of their old pet portaloo from  our last residence so they thought "what the heck".

They are allowed upstairs, (fully carpeted) with people and sleep in the kids' rooms incident free.

But what is it about precious pooches and wet feet!?!

#14 FiveAus

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

I wish mine would use a litter tray.
They all relish a good romp in the rain, a roll in the mud and splash through as many puddles as possible before charging back inside and getting muddy paws all over my white tiled floor.

#15 kadoodle

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

View PostFiveAus, on 12 May 2019 - 09:00 PM, said:

I wish mine would use a litter tray.
They all relish a good romp in the rain, a roll in the mud and splash through as many puddles as possible before charging back inside and getting muddy paws all over my white tiled floor.

Same with two of mine, except it’s light brown carpet and they’re aided and abetted by little kids leaving the back door open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.