Combined pill in your 40s

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

Oh no the Endocrinologist is NFI over half my stuff. My initial referral was due to suspected pituitary gland growth (did not show up on MRI but prolactin levels rising). Blood tests showed all hormones out of wack. Most likely undiagnosed PCOS too. So Dostinex to get Prolactin down, metformin to get my cycles regular and weight down (insulin resistance). But still have other crazy hormones. I still have a cycle but hormone levels more like post menopause levels.

#27 400

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:41 PM

View PostERipley, on 12 May 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

OP I was on the pill for years before having children. Then after 2 years of trying, 6 years of pregnancy/breastfeeding my period came back with a vengeance. Now I have adenomyosis and awful PMS. I went on the combined pill at 38 and after days of crying my eyes out and falling asleep mid afternoon and barely having the energy to do anything I went off it again. It brought back memories of a general down feeling I had for years prior to having children. For me it’s absolutely evil and I’m waiting for an ablation.

I though an ablation can’t fix the symptoms of adenomyosis?

#28 suzyr

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

I am 54.  I had my 15 year old daughter when I was 39 and went straight back on the pill.  When I turned 50 I stopped taking it and almost immediately the hot flushes began.  My doctor didn't see any problems with taking the pill in my 40's and I guess I just stopped taking it at 50 to see when menopause would kick in.

#29 ERipley

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

View Post400, on 13 May 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

I though an ablation can’t fix the symptoms of adenomyosis?

It depends how deep it is. Mine isn’t too bad judging by the ultrasound. My obstetrician prefers to try everything possible prior to hysterectomy. If it works then great, if not I’m very happy with a hysterectomy too.

#30 ERipley

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 12 May 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Oh no the Endocrinologist is NFI over half my stuff. My initial referral was due to suspected pituitary gland growth (did not show up on MRI but prolactin levels rising). Blood tests showed all hormones out of wack. Most likely undiagnosed PCOS too. So Dostinex to get Prolactin down, metformin to get my cycles regular and weight down (insulin resistance). But still have other crazy hormones. I still have a cycle but hormone levels more like post menopause levels.

I’m going to stop complaining about my PMS now. That sounds hard to be dealing with.

#31 No girls here

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

I'm 44 and on Levlen as the Mirena didn't agree with me either (weight gain and messed with my blood sugar). My GP said she is happy for me to stay on it, and the only reason I will need to come off it is to see if menopause has kicked in.  But that won't be for a little while yet.

#32 400

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

View PostERipley, on 13 May 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

It depends how deep it is. Mine isn’t too bad judging by the ultrasound. My obstetrician prefers to try everything possible prior to hysterectomy. If it works then great, if not I’m very happy with a hysterectomy too.

Ah, that makes sense. Hopefully it makes a difference for you then, recovery from an ablation will be far more pleasant than a hysterectomy!

#33 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

OP, I've already posted here but the full story is that I needed an new script for my ADs and pill as well, my GP (clinic owner) was booked out so I saw a younger GP.

She was the one who told me about age and stopping the pill in my 40s and wanted me to make an appointment with another GP to look into getting the Mirena.

GP has had the snip.  The ONLY reason I'm on the pill is because I skip the sugar pills (GP approved) so I don't get my period because I don't like it.

So I went away sulking and came back later and saw my own GP who I think will be doing some educating of her colleague.

#34 Green lady

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

I had my last child at almost 44 and have gone back on the combined pill (Microgynon 30) for the last 2 years. I like it because I think it regulates PMS and I can skip periods with it. Having said that, I have found a bit of breakthrough bleeding occurs which didn’t when I was younger so I can considering the endometrial ablation option one of the other posters mentioned. I am hoping that if I no longer get periods I will no longer get the associated hormonal swings (which drive me nuts).

#35 *bucket*

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

I'm 49 and still on combined pill. I read a study recently (probably on Medscape) that it is fine to stay on until menopause (although not sure how you know when this happens!). My GP hasn't said I need to come off, will see if this changes when I hit 50. I also don't take the sugar pills and haven't had a period for a few years - love it, and that's the main reason I stay on it. I can't cope with periods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.