Depressed about the election

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thebabysitter

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

Anyone else feel like no one represents them in this election. For the first time ever there is no party that I can confidently vote for and it makes me sad.

#2 Octopodes

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

Which issues are important to you? Maybe someone can suggest a party which has matching values.

edit: The only time I have felt the importance of my vote more than this election was when I voted to get Howard the **** out in 2007. I've only been old enough to vote since 2003.

Edited by Octopodes, 12 May 2019 - 06:50 PM.

#3 Steggles66

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:49 PM

Have you completed the abc vote compass? It may help you to decide which of the parties your values align with.

#4 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:48 PM

On the contrary, this is the first election for quite some years (probably since 2007) where I’ve thought there was a clear indication of the vision at least two parties have for the future. Neither of which are the incumbents.

Good luck making a decision.

I’ve been old enough to vote for a long, long time.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 12 May 2019 - 08:50 PM.

#5 spartan_mum

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

I feel depressed because I know no one else in my family is voting the same way as me.  It makes me sad that people I love can have such different views on things to me and I know I can’t talk about things I’m passionate about because I’ll just be labelled a PC lefty bleeding heart. Like it’s such a bad thing to care about the welfare of others and hope for a society where all members are not just measured on what economic output they can make. Where I’m looked down on because I ‘naively’ think we should move towards cleaner energy and believe could be a hell of a lot kinder to refugees. Sigh..

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:02 PM

^ ah...don’t worry about it. Water off a duck’s back...there’s plenty of ‘bleeding heart lefties’ on EB to talk to (a badge I wear with pride).

I do understand though. Some of my family have been less than complimentary about my political leanings. I’m just old now and no longer give a ****.

I’d rather live in a society where we look after the environment and people, all people, especially those who have the misfortune to be disadvantaged.

#7 c.sanders

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

Election 2016??? What happened then??

I always say this reworded from 'Looking for Alibrandi'and that's "it's not about voting for the best party,  it's about keeping the worst party out! "

#8 dadwasathome

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

View PostOctopodes, on 12 May 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

edit: The only time I have felt the importance of my vote more than this election was when I voted to get Howard the **** out in 2007. I've only been old enough to vote since 2003.

I voted to get Fraser the **** out in 1983 :)

I've always had difficulties in reconciling my views with any one party, so have often voted differently in the House of Reps and the senate.

I'm of the view that you at least need to vote for your least worst option. I saw a HoR paper in a friend's electorate that has 8 candidates with 5 that fall into the narrow minded bigot space - and I'm for some strange reason counting LNP amongst the three......

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

10 candidates on the House of Reps ballot for my seat...5 of them are extreme right wing, another two single issue parties...then ALP, Greens and Libs.

It's actually quite scary.

#10 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

I agree with EsmeLennox - the choice is very clear this election.

My sadness is that there is so many of "the other side" this time.  And due to that, I don't trust a lot of the independents and 'one issue' parties anymore.

So if your one single issue is "Child Protection" or "GST for WA", how do I know how you will vote when it comes to immigration, climate change?   If I don't know where you stand on things that are important to me, how can I vote for you?

I love our democracy and compulsory voting, but I hate that our system has evolved to have so many nutters.  

I am however feeling more and more optimistic about this election - probably because I am only tuning in to the ABC, the Guardian and EB.  I'm in my own little bubble and avoiding anything that will risk puncture.

#11 Amica

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 13 May 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

10 candidates on the House of Reps ballot for my seat...5 of them are extreme right wing, another two single issue parties...then ALP, Greens and Libs.

Same. I really struggled with who to put last.

#12 EsmeLennox

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

^ yep. it's a race to the bottom!

#13 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 13 May 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

Yep this was me. I’m like how the hell did it get to the point where 3/4 of my damned voting options are for right wing nut jobs, racists, and fundamentalists. (It might even have been the same ballot paper as we are both in WA and I live in Durack which is oh 1.6million quote kms)

#14 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:27 PM

View Postmayahlb, on 13 May 2019 - 02:53 PM, said:

Yep this was me. I’m like how the hell did it get to the point where 3/4 of my damned voting options are for right wing nut jobs, racists, and fundamentalists. (It might even have been the same ballot paper as we are both in WA and I live in Durack which is oh 1.6million quote kms)

I don't disagree wtih you there - at this stage I've got to put the Libs 3rd, as affter 1 and 2 (greens/Labor) the other choices are scary.

The one saving grace of a really really blue ribbon Liberal seat is that the Hanson/Palmer/Anitvaxxers won't get in.  The unfortunate side is that neither the Greens or Labor will either.

The senate however -that's where my fear lies.......

I'm still holding the dream of the Labor/Greens coalition one day.

#15 Octopodes

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:13 PM

The day the Greens form an official coalition with the ALP is the day I stop voting for them.

My seat should safely remain ALP, but there are a few right wing nutters running in the lower house. I'm trying to decide who goes last - Better Families (men's rights party), United Australia or Fred Nile (CDP).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.