Not enough car seats laws

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 spr_maiden

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

Hi EBers

I'm having trouble clarifying laws re car seat atm, and can't get through to dept of transport.
Does anyone know what the rules are surrounding not enough car seats for the number of children travelling who require them?
Example: 3 6 yr olds,  2 car seats, 1 vacant back seat spot. Is it illegal for a 6 yr old to travel in the back seat without a restraint when all other available restraints are in use?
I can only find laws saying it's legal to carry them in the front seat.
Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

#2 Caribou

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

Yes. All children need car restraints unless they are 7 and older or preferably over  140cms tall.

Exemption in car seats only apply to registered licensed taxis.

#3 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

In SA they must legally be in a booster seat until 7 and can only sit in the front if they are over 7 (I think? ) and the back seat is completely occupied by younger kids.
But it may vary in other states.

#4 dadwasathome

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

In NSw, under 7 they need to be in a child restraint or booster seat. Doesn't matter where they're sitting.

Edited by dadwasathome, 13 May 2019 - 11:28 AM.

#5 Fresh Start

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

I think it isn't covered as an issue because the car seat requirements cover this issue - under 7 must be in a booster (at least).

It's illegal not to have them in a booster.

#6 Fresh Start

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

And I believe car seat laws are uniform across the country now after the review a few years ago.

#7 hills mum bec

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

Not having enough restraints is not an excuse for not using one.  If the child is under 7yo then they must be in a child restraint.  If you don't have enough then you either get another one for them or they don't go in the car.

#8 ~J_WTF~

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

View PostFresh Start, on 13 May 2019 - 11:37 AM, said:

And I believe car seat laws are uniform across the country now after the review a few years ago.

They certainly are.

#9 Jenflea

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

Can you borrow a folding booster for the one in the back?

#10 Safety Queen

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

You will have to get car seats small enough to fit all 3

#11 Soontobegran

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

Do you mean there is no middle seat belt in the back ?

#12 mayahlb

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

Must be in a booster until 7 minimum. If you don’t have enough anchor points then use a folding booster or similar. There are boosters that don’t require anchor points (Infasecure folding and a safe and sound one I don’t know the same of.)

#13 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

As everyone has stated it is a requirement to have all children 7yrs and under in appropriate child restraints.

#14 spr_maiden

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:41 PM

View Posthills mum bec, on 13 May 2019 - 11:37 AM, said:

Not having enough restraints is not an excuse for not using one.  If the child is under 7yo then they must be in a child restraint.  If you don't have enough then you either get another one for them or they don't go in the car.

Except there is a proviso re over 4 yr olds are able to be transported in adult belted front seat if all other seats are occupied. Make they outline this as used to be mentioned no car restraints are to be used in front seats.  So, to clarify
for people, they have stated still no car restraints in front seat but adult belted front seat for over 4s if no other seats available?!

Thanks PPs!!

#15 spr_maiden

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 13 May 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

Do you mean there is no middle seat belt in the back ?

There is a seat belt in the middle but no anchor point.

#16 spr_maiden

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

One more...

I thought the laws were children under 10 yrs were not allowed to travel in front seats unless no other available seats.  Now,  all I can find says children 7 and over are able to travel in front seats.
That seems like a backwards adjustment to laws.

#17 Jamelex

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 13 May 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

Except there is a proviso re over 4 yr olds are able to be transported in adult belted front seat if all other seats are occupied. Make they outline this as used to be mentioned no car restraints are to be used in front seats.  So, to clarify
for people, they have stated still no car restraints in front seat but adult belted front seat for over 4s if no other seats available?!

Thanks PPs!!

An untethered booster needs to be used as per all comments about requiring at least a booster until at least seven years of age.

#18 spr_maiden

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

https://www.qld.gov....en/where-to-sit

It doesn't state that.  
This is why I find it confusing.

#19 c.sanders

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:48 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 13 May 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

There is a seat belt in the middle but no anchor point.

Still no excuse.  You can use a booster.

#20 Jamelex

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 13 May 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

One more...

I thought the laws were children under 10 yrs were not allowed to travel in front seats unless no other available seats.  Now,  all I can find says children 7 and over are able to travel in front seats.
That seems like a backwards adjustment to laws.

Recommendation is 12 years of age for front seat, based on both an adult seatbelt fitting and protecting correctly, and air bag injuries on children too small for the front seat even though it may be legal.

#21 Jamelex

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

As long as it’s not a lap only seat belt in the middle (ie it’s a proper lap sash belt) then best would be to use an untethered booster rear middle.

#22 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

For children 4-7yrs there are folding travel boosters which do not need to be anchored. These can be used in middle seat where there is no anchor point or in a front seat if you have more than 3 children under 7yrs but 1 over 4yrs.

#23 spr_maiden

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

PPs, with the tone,  take it down a notch.
I'm not making excuses.  I was on the side of need one.

If I didn't give a hoot,  I wouldn't be on here asking.

#24 Crombek

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

The section you linked only deals with where in the car, not what. It’s badly set out because that info is in section 1.

#25 dadwasathome

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

I've checked the government websites for three different states now and the operative statement on all of them is that children under 7 years of age must use an approved child restraint.

That Qld "where children should sit" is pretty poor by not mentioning restraints when saying over 4 a child can sit in the front if other seats are occupied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.