Sore tummy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drat

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:12 PM

My 2.5 year old seems to have a constant complaint about having a sore tummy. I am 99% sure that she is faking it for attention.

She knows who will give her more attention (aka grandma and daddy) so she will always put it on for them. It seems to be escalating more lately. Today she had a sore tummy, a sore chin, a sore hip (yep, her words) and sore fingers. She also will quickly change from not feeling very well, to being completely fine in a few seconds.
She also seems to feel 'not very well' when she's in trouble or when she has to go to bed or has to finish doing something that she's enjoying etc.

I keep talking to her about maybe that she's not actually feeling sick but she's feeling sad or upset about something etc. she's generally pretty good with her feelings and emotions and will tell us when she's feeling sad or upset.

I did take her to the doctor who said he couldn't find anything wrong wth her tummy but suggested to get her to drink more water incase she was constipated, but she poo's regularly and they look normal (I am the gross parent that checks the toilet).

Any advice as to what I can do to try and fix this issue assuming she's not sick? I don't want her faking illness so that we don't believe her when she's actually sick.

#2 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:15 PM

Could it be a touch of anxiety that is making her feel sick maybe?

#3 Toddlerandme

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:52 PM

My DD did similar at about the same age. I think for her though it was part of learning words for body parts, as the ‘sore’ body part frequently changed, rather than trying to get out of bedtime, etc. so aside from (initially) worrying that she was hurt it wasn’t really a problem. It was a phase that lasted a month or so (and did progress from just arm or leg, to more complex body parts) and then just stopped, so it may be something your DD stops doing without you doing anything?

One thing I did do if she was saying something was sore and I wanted to work out if she was pretending or really hurt was to turn it into a game, and pretend to be a doctor, ‘Dr mummy says it is time to go to bed and rest so your sore arm/leg/tummy can get better’. If I checked whether teddy had a sore tummy too that would often get a giggle out of her and I would know she was pretending. Or I would pretend to have a sore arm and get her to bandage it with a tea towel. If she just kept saying sore leg, sore leg, then I knew she was actually hurt.

#4 ~J_WTF~

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

It could be anxiety. For years my DD would say she had a sore tummy, lots of tests done, nothing! Once she started with her psych, they explained that was how she expressed her anxiety.

Or she could want more attention. You have a new baby, maybe it’s her way of saying she is feeling sad about less time for her these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.