Are you vegetarian? Why/why not?

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#1 excellent

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

Have been considering going vegetarian. I haven't eaten red meat in years anyway as I don't like it, but lately I have been thinking of going vegetarian for both ethical and health reasons.

If you are a vegetarian, what made you decide? What are your tips to starting out?

If you're not vegetarian.. why is that?

*Please be respectful of different views, not looking to start a fight. Just interested in this topic.

#2 WTFJerk

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

View Postexcellent, on 15 May 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

If you're not vegetarian.. why is that?

I like meat.

#3 halcyondays

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

I am vegetarian, but I don't eat much in the way of lentils/legumes. I do eat egg and dairy (lacto-ovo vegetarian).

I decided as a teen that if I can't bring myself to kill an animal, that I can't ask others to do it for me. With modern meat practices, killing is done en-masse, livestock are generally not treated well. I feel that humans and societies involved in this industry may become damaged by this work.

I have eaten fish that my fishing friends line caught. Hated the taste, and hated handling fish flapping around on the end of the line.

#4 excellent

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

View Posthalcyondays, on 15 May 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

I have eaten fish that my fishing friends line caught. Hated the taste, and hated handling fish flapping around on the end of the line.

I don't eat much fish, but I don't think I would enjoy fishing. Just not for me.

#5 Beancat

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:06 PM

No
I am not a huge lover of meat but I do enjoy fish and need to eat red meat a couple of times a week to keep my iron up

I could quite happily be a pescatarian
I eat lots of vergies and love vegetarian food

#6 ~J_WTF~

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:07 PM

I’m not.

I don’t like vegetables that much. I eat the minimum amount I can get away with. I don’t like legumes much either or tofu, it’s a texture thing. I really don’t know what I would eat. I don’t think I can exist solely on chocolate or maybe I could....

If needed I would happily kill my own meat, so I don’t feel bad about consuming animals. I am ok with needing to slice and dice a fish after I have caught it.

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 15 May 2019 - 12:08 PM.

#7 Paddlepop

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

View PostWTFJerk, on 15 May 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

I like meat.

And it’s delicious.

Not a vegetarian, obviously.

#8 71Cath

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

Why aren't I a vegetarian?

I like burgers. And so many vegetables are yucky.

#9 Caribou

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

we are -mostly- vegetarian, maybe once a week we'll have meat, but that's more for me than the family.

we switched because DD didn't like how animals were killed for eating, it made her uncomfortable. I was neither here or there about it, but agreed we need to be more ethical about how we kill our meat.

I have PCOS, so going vegetarian caused me to gain a lot of weight very rapidly. I had to stop being vegetarian and put meat back in my diet. What had protein in it, like legumes, also had high carbs and so it really didn't agree with me. I could put no legumes in, but then I wouldn't get my protein hits, be hungrier and eat more to stataite that hunger.

I keep my meats for lunchtime, so i can keep dinners vegetarian as we all eat our own lunches different from each other (everyone is at work or school, so I just make something up)

I load up on green veggies and leafy greens for the iron as well as peas.

legumes are great fillers and winter warmers, but for me i do have to watch out for the carb. I switched rice to cauliflower rice to make up for the carb issues.

we have a lot of vegetarian curries, very easy to do, find a sauce, and chuck in the vegetables on top of it. summer is great with salads or wraps.

I wouldn't say going vegetarian is a good health reason, we are omnivores, and we are built to eat meat. we can skip the meat part, but you will need to make sure what you'd normally get from meat you replace it with something else, i.e iron - spinach green veggies, eggs, etc.

sometimes just eating meat is easier as it encapsulates a good dose of protein and iron without having to think too much about making sure you get it from other sources.

It's doable, but just takes a little more prep work :)

#10 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

I'm not vegetarian cos I like meat.
I'm picky with texture and only eat a small selection of fruit and veg

#11 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

I was mostly vegetarian during my last pregnancy, as I couldn’t stomach eating meat. It wasn’t difficult as we’ve always eaten vegetarian a couple of nights a week, but after DS was born I went back to enjoying eating meat. We still eat vegetarian at least 3 nights a week, and have plenty of low meat dinners.

#12 BeAwesome

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

View Post71Cath, on 15 May 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Why aren't I a vegetarian?

I like burgers. And so many vegetables are yucky.

This.

I mostly have texture issues too.

I do still eat some meat free dinners a week, I like when a curry can hide the veggie flavours.

I don't eat fish because I don't like the taste.

#13 burg3r

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

I’m not because my kids and DH LOVE meat.  They probably wouldn’t eat if I made vegetarian meals and stuff that if I’m going to make TWO meals.

So In essence, im not a vegetarian because of laziness to cook.  I just want to make one meal and then everyone eats it.

I personally would love to have a heavily vegan diet.  I feel better when I eat more veg and I genuinely love veg and lentils etc.

#14 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

i’m not - but have cut down a hell of a lot on meat. if i didn’t have young kids who require meals, i could go vegetarian - DH may not like it, but i could. we have two to three vegetarian meals a week, and one where meat isn’t the main focus of the dish. like a PP i have a tendency for insulin resistance so i have to be really really careful with carbs - and i find if i don’t have the protein of meat to fill me, then it’s all too easy to substitute with carbs (i’m not particularly fond of chickpeas and lentils - but i love most vegetables and i love mushrooms which i think have a great meaty texture but alas, the rest of my family won’t go near them. we do a bit of tofu). i would eat a lot more fish than i do - i love it and i think it’s very good for us - but again, family tastes come into play, and i worry about the sustainability of our seafood industry.

#15 Prancer is coming

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:25 PM

I like the idea of being vegetarian or vegan.  I think there are health benefits and it is ethically sound.

However, I don’t really like vegetables.  I eat them daily as they are good for me and to roll model for the kids, but i don’t really sorry enjoy them.  I also like the taste of meat and not keen on other sources of protein.

#16 ERipley

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

I’ve been vegetarian since I was 13. I just really thought about if got the first time. A totally ethical choice. My mother thought it was a fad but here I am 25 years later.

There is so much availability with food these days. I find it really weird when people start talking about tofu on these threads. Most vegetarians don’t bother with tofu. Go in Deliveroo and there will be about 1000 places that will deliver your Hawaiian pizza with fake ham instead of real ham, or a fake chicken burger, or a laksa with fake prawns. These days it’s just such a simple switch.

#17 purplekitty

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

I'm a bad pescatorian but don't even have fish that often.

#18 SummerStar

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

I am not because I like meat. There isn't enough I'd like/eat that didn't have it. I occasionally do vegetarian meals but I like so few I could not live on just that.

#19 seayork2002

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

If they can make vegetables taste like lamb I am in.

#20 Caribou

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

View PostERipley, on 15 May 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

I’ve been vegetarian since I was 13. I just really thought about if got the first time. A totally ethical choice. My mother thought it was a fad but here I am 25 years later.

There is so much availability with food these days. I find it really weird when people start talking about tofu on these threads. Most vegetarians don’t bother with tofu. Go in Deliveroo and there will be about 1000 places that will deliver your Hawaiian pizza with fake ham instead of real ham, or a fake chicken burger, or a laksa with fake prawns. These days it’s just such a simple switch.

I tried soy mince the other day, I put it into a nacho meal, wasn't exactly impressed with it, I much prefer Quorn mince!

But, I do love the vegetarian replacement options for meats in shops, there's a lot of good switches you can do, definitely a lot more accessible than 10 years ago.

Edited by Caribou, 15 May 2019 - 12:48 PM.

#21 JoanJett

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

I'm not.  I eat vegetarian meals 2-3 times per week.  I have gone long periods without eating meat without having considered myself vegetarian.

For me personally, if I were to become vegetarian for ethical reasons, to rationally hold to those ethics, I would have to become vegan and avoid all animal products for any use, including textiles.  That would then open up for me the conflict (from the environment point of view) of many of the alternatives that use synthetics/plastics/petroleum based products and the impact of those processes.  

But let's face it, I just want to be able to eat bacon.  Nothing beats a BLT.

Edited by JoanJett, 15 May 2019 - 12:37 PM.

#22 ERipley

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostCaribou, on 15 May 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

I tried soy mince the other day, I put it into a nacho meal, wasn't exactly impressed with it, I much prefer Quoran mince!

But, I do love the vegetarian replacement options for meats in shops, there's a lot of good switches you can do, definitely a lot more accessible than 10 years ago.

I add beef stock to the quorn  mince before I use it. It just makes it more moist and flavoursome. The Massel brand beef and chicken are all vegetarian.

#23 Beanette

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

I have been a vegetarian for twelve years, and my family eats vegetarian 6 nights a week.

Reasons:
-health (eating more vegetables and legumes will never be a bad thing)
-ethical (enough said)
-environmental (more sustainable, better for the planet)

My advice: don't try to recreate things that usually have meat as vegetarian (i.e. fake meat products and "meat and three" type meals), make meals that are intended to be vegetarian. And not all vegetarian has to be tofu, I rarely cook with it and only eat it if I'm eating out as Asian restaurants often have that as the vegetarian option.

Starting with one meal a week could be a way to ease everyone into it.

#24 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

because I lovvvvve the taste of meat.  

BIG TIME!

#25 Jane Jetson

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

Nope. I would actually like to be vegan for ethical reasons, but unfortunately I really, really like meat and dairy, and I can't stand almost all fruit and many vegetables.

These are always the staples in vegetarian/vegan food: mushrooms (okay, I know that's fungi), avocados, almost all legumes but particularly beans of all sorts, sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, eggplant, tomato that hasn't basically been pureed. Yuck, yuck, yuck. A lot of it is texture issues.

I occasionally brainsnap and bring home fake meat and everybody groans and then I try to eat it and realise why. Yuck.

I'm trying to eat less meat though, and go for more ethically raised and killed meat. Vote Greens to stop live export, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.