Holidays with 8 and 9 year olds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moineau

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

My DH and I are thinking about taking our 2 girls on a holiday in the July OR October school holidays this year.

Any ideas?

We live on the Central Coast (NSW), we want to stay domestic, and don't have the greatest of budgets.

We have never been away with the kids except camping for a few nights just us and with friends. We have toyed with the idea of a road trip up to QLD. The girls have been before - Just not with us.

I want to do something decent but I really am unsure what to do. Initially I was wanting to do a cruise but I can't seem to really find one that lines up with the school holidays...

#2 seayork2002

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

We loved the Sunshine Coast but we only saw it for the day as we flew into Brisbane

#3 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

I love the NSW north Coast - I would do a driving holiday up the coast, staying at a few towns on the way.  Theme parks on the Gold Coast if they like that sort of thing.

Or, not sure how warm it is way north - what about a barrier reef island if you can fly up rather than drive that distance?

Tassie in a campervan is pretty amazing, but cold in July.  October would be better.

Or WA - Perth is great!  And lots to do South of there.  Again - try for October.  That's wildflower season there too.

#4 BeAwesome

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

My kids - one older and one younger than yours both love Treasure Island at the Gold Coast.  We typically just hang out on site, but only ten min from the theme parks, 15 min from surfers paradise.

#5 Grrrumbles

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

Canberra would be a manageable drive and good for that age group. If you have a car you could stay less centrally to keep costs down as nothing is too far away.

Some of the attractions are free (War Memorial, Parliament Houses old and new, National Museum) others like Questacon are more pricey but your children are a good age to spend a while there doing the activities.

#6 molinero

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

- Road trip to Tassie (plenty of free/cheap campsites available depending on your budget).

- Drive to Blue Mountains, followed by Mudgee (so parents can enjoy the wine and cheese), then Dubbo for the zoo and drive back through the Blue Mountains

- Barrington Tops cabin/camping (must book early for school hols)

- Drive south through National Parks in the ACT/NSW snowy region. Canberra so the kids can do Questacon, etc. Cabins, camping or motels.

- Drive to Coffs Harbour or further up the NSW North Coast. You can head straight up and down the coastal highway, or try heading up inland through New England, then drive through Waterfall Way from Armidale to Coffs. Then come back straight down the coast when you return.

Also - lots of ppl claim the Gold Coast is tacky but I still love it.

Have fun planning!

#7 Apageintime

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

I agree Canberra would be lovely with those ages.

#8 lizzzard

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

If you live on the Central Coast, I would be inclined to do a city holiday for something different. I agree Canberra is great, but what about Sydney?

We live in the middle of Sydney, and I still love the idea of being a tourist here - there is always a different angle to explore.

For that age group, a few things to do might include:
Taking a ferry across the Harbour
Visiting the Maritime Museum
Visiting the Australian Museum
Walking around the Rocks (especially on the weekend when they have the markets)
Visiting the MCA
Walk from Mrs Macquaries Chair around to Circular Quay
Go up Centrepoint Tower
Wander around Darling Harbour (with some time out at the playground there). Maybe watch a movie at iMax
Take the bus to Bondi and do the Bondi-to-Coogee walk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.