Modern cloth nappies

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 IamtheMumma

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

400, that is why I found side snapping nappies better for my son that front snapping. But it is trial and error with body shapes. Bamboo liners are a huge waste of money as you and I discovered. I found they'd twist and then yes divert liquid elsewhere. Sustainable Hemp Products, Baby Beehinds and Rawr make night nappies. I've used all 3 and they're good value. SHP can be made in fabrics that have appeal like dolls, toys, trucks and so on.

Grassyrat - liners can help keep your nappies clean by catching more poo once its solid. Spotlight has microfleece (not polar fleece) that you can buy off the spindle (wrong word - what is the name for the fabric bundles?). I used to get a metre and then cut it into the right sized pieces. I think I'd get 20+ per metre. Its been 3yrs and they're still going strong. Have had the occasionally one that needed to be ditched.

#27 cabbage88

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

I've used for all my kids, number 4 about to be born will make 3 kids in cloth at once for me. They're awesome.
I'd strongly recommend checking out "clean cloth nappies" was "clean cloth nappies Down under" until recently. Its a website and face book group run by mums with brilliant info on different nappy types and cleaning routines so your nappies stay clean and in good condition. Great place to start looking. I'm glad I ignored my friends- none of them had actually done it and I was scoffed a lot for planning cloth with twins. Seriously it was not a big issue. Just part of our routine, I've never done different. To me using disposables when I can't be bothered is like using plastic plates when I can't be bothered doing dishes. Just an odd thing to do!
I'm such a huge fan of cloth. One of the best things I invested in before my first- and after this baby has toilet trained I would have saved over 10k in not buying disposables. They're brilliant. Modern cloth is so easy to use.

#28 cabbage88

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:38 PM

Oh also, a $25 Spray hose on our toilet and bamboo cloth wipes were a brilliant addition along the way. I just keep a container of wipes wet in the room. So much better at getting poo off than disposable wipes which I used with my first.
Here's that website
https://cleanclothnappies.com

#29 cvbn

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

I found Chux, cut up, made brilliant reusable wipes. My children used to smooth them for me after washing, we called them 'fairy blankets' ;)

Edited by cvbn, 17 May 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#30 400

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:28 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 17 May 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

400, that is why I found side snapping nappies better for my son that front snapping. But it is trial and error with body shapes. Bamboo liners are a huge waste of money as you and I discovered. I found they'd twist and then yes divert liquid elsewhere. Sustainable Hemp Products, Baby Beehinds and Rawr make night nappies. I've used all 3 and they're good value. SHP can be made in fabrics that have appeal like dolls, toys, trucks and so on.

Thanks for the tips! I’m definitely keen to try some others (especially with #2 on the way), just gotta get DH on board...

#31 Sancti-claws

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:35 PM

View Postsomila, on 17 May 2019 - 06:51 AM, said:

Do it!
I used terry flats, Tots Bots nappies and Motherease.
I also tried ... Eenies?.. (with a 'biodegradeable' pad) but didn't like those so much.
I used disposables as well, although less so with the second.

If I had had a third baby I would have used mostly flats with Motherease PUL covers.  I love flat nappies - they dry so fast -  and found the folding therapeutic -- must be a mindfulness thing, I think.
I don't know if it was mindfulness or constructive madness, but I found the hanging them out, possibly in colour patterns (white, pastel, white, bright) (with matching pegs) worked on a certain level with my mental state.

Tip for the terry flats when pegging out - fold in half vertically (which I also do with my towels) as the friction (I assume) while drying makes them softer.

#32 nikki_205

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:29 AM

I started at about 3 months with my 19mo, who's now back in disposables as she's in daycare full time. I bought some newborn size ones for #2 due in Oct, and they'll both be in MCNs once I'm on mat leave again. I've always used disposables overnight and while travelling, so definitely a part time user, but I figure every little bit helps!

Something I sent to a friend a while ago. Intro to cloth nappies, explaining all the terms so you can go online and understand what they're talking about easily.

MCN: modern cloth nappy. As opposed to old traditional square terry cloths.

AIO= all in one. There is just one piece to the nappy. Benefit: no fiddling with separate pieces. Drawback: takes longer to dry, may need to add extra pieces (boosters/inserts) to add additional absorbency anyway.

AI2/AI3/pocket nappies: all in 2/3. 2 or 3 parts. I have AI3. It comes with a waterproof shell and 2 inserts of different sizes. You can use the small, large, or both together depending on the size of bub and how long you need it to last for (trade off is bulkiness). Pocket nappies are where the insert goes into a pocket in the shell, mine have this but I don't use it, poo tends to get lodged through the nappy which then needs rinsing out.

Liners: I use disposable liners. These are optional but make it so much easier for dealing with poo. Some say they're flushable but you're not supposed to flush any of them so I don't, I just bin them. In theory you should scrape/tip poo into toilet but I don't do that with disposables either. If just wet I wash and reuse the liner

Ccndu: clean cloth nappies down under. This is a website and fb group with useful info about washing nappies. I follow their advice on washing.

Washing routine: I rinse dirty nappies straight away. Then put into a "dry pail" ie don't soak, just in a wire bucket that has good airflow. Then when ready to wash I prewash the nappies with nothing else in the machine on a 15 min warm cycle. Then I add other things to fill the machine (nothing too big - baby clothes, my clothes, spew rags, bibs etc) and do a full cycle hot wash.

Lots of great fb groups around for general buy/sell/fit advice, washing routine, buying and selling 2nd hand. If you use fb do a shout out on a mums group and someone will link you to plenty of groups.

#33 Grassyrat

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

Thanks everyone, I braved the baby expo today and had a good look at a few stands while there. I purchased some bambooty newborn ones, they did have a buy 2 get 1 free deal so I took advantage of that.

My 2 friends I was there with thought I was nuts, but hopefully with the great tips I've received from you all I'll be able to use cloth at least at home.

Edited by Grassyrat, 18 May 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#34 KnightsofNi

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:35 PM

I used MCN from birth and at one stage had 2 in MCN. For the first couple of months I used bamboo trifolds and covers and then moved to baby beehinds. I had a little squirt on the toilet.
It's really not that hard. I also used cloth wipes. When I think about the landfill I saved, I'm really glad I did. It really was no bother using MCNs.

#35 IamtheMumma

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

View PostFresh Start, on 18 May 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

I think I said polar fleece but yes it was micro fleece. I just got the poo brown colour they were selling out cheap!

I wasn't having a go FS. It was a mistake I made as a newbie. I bought polar fleece thinking it was the right stuff. That was an epic fail.

#36 quartz85

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

I found it really hard to start and find my groove with them but after the initial learning curve it was so easy.

Get some pale liners/bags. Then you never need to touch a dirty nappy. I used old pillow slips the first time but it didn't work well.

If you can, set up the change table in the bathroom. Ours is in our ensuite. Tap to wet the cloth wipes, toilet right there to drop the poo in. I even use toilet paper for the first wipe to keep my wipes cleaner.

Cloth wipes are the best! I hate the disposables now. They are so thin! I wish I used cloth wipes with my first.

Wet bags for out and about are just the best. Great for nappies, dirty clothes, wet swimmers.

I loved my baby beehind nappies. They easily lasted two kids (5 years). Hippybottomus fitted really well too, but didn't last as long unfortunately.

#37 Crazyone26989

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:26 PM

View PostGrassyrat, on 18 May 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

Thanks everyone, I braved the baby expo today and had a good look at a few stands while there. I purchased some bambooty newborn ones, they did have a buy 2 get 1 free deal so I took advantage of that.

My 2 friends I was there with thought I was nuts, but hopefully with the great tips I've received from you all I'll be able to use cloth at least at home.

I’m also super interested in doing MCNs and got some at the baby expo! I haven’t told any friends because even my mum initially thought I was nuts. She’s come around since seeing they aren’t the terry squares she used on me! LOL

#38 Grassyrat

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

View PostCrazyone26989, on 19 May 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

I’m also super interested in doing MCNs and got some at the baby expo! I haven’t told any friends because even my mum initially thought I was nuts. She’s come around since seeing they aren’t the terry squares she used on me! LOL

Also, my 2 friends I was attending the expo with were saying that a lot of mums they knew had reported babies getting chemical burns from Huggies newborns as they have changed the manufacturing process. So I guess that's another reason to try to steer clear of disposables if I can.

#39 cabbage88

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:53 PM

View PostGrassyrat, on 18 May 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

LOVE bambooty. Used for all mine so good

#40 ipsee

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:56 PM

If babies do start to get nappy rash in disposables it can really help to put on a cloth nappy for a while - and vice versa, so it is good to have the option. And bought baby wipes are quite harsh on the skin, so it is good if you aren't using them constantly.

#41 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

Oh I loved ours.

Mostly baby beehinds and ittybitty with the snap in pieces.
Loved how quick the itties were to dry. Also find it mindful to snap away when folding them. The baby beehinds were fantastic and super easy to use.

I washed ours and used an airer on our deck in winter and the regular line too.

We swapped to bositos eucalyptus powder for them and now only use it. Beautiful results with the sun and no stains (often caused by medicine poos)

Worth noting I had babies with seriously fat thighs so these were the brands that fitted them best. Many others didn’t work as well. And I found we typically got better fits when using the sized nappies.

Edited by Bethlehem Babe, 19 May 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#42 400

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:44 AM

View Postipsee, on 19 May 2019 - 09:56 PM, said:

If babies do start to get nappy rash in disposables it can really help to put on a cloth nappy for a while - and vice versa, so it is good to have the option. And bought baby wipes are quite harsh on the skin, so it is good if you aren't using them constantly.

Just wanted to add- I absolutely love the baby wipes from JAK Organics, for when you can’t get away with cloth wipes. Highly recommend.

#43 Disydo2018

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:42 PM

Hi everyone, super excited to find this thread. I’m pregant with baby no 1 and am planning on using cloth nappies, mainly for the environmental benefits.

DH and I saw quite a few at a recent expo and we’ve signed up for a one hour cloth nappy workshop which is meant to talk you through everything. I’m way too excited! No one I know has used cloth nappies (except my mum) but I’m starting to think it’s an obvious choice when you factor in the environmental and financial benefits. It’s so great hearing everyone’s positive experiences!

One thing I’m wondering is how cloth nappies work in hospital. Apparently I’ll spend 4 nights in hospital. Would you use the cloth nappies during this time? Could I just put them in something and take them home? Or should I wait til I’m home to start?

#44 amdirel

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:48 PM

I used them in hospital Disydo. I brought a nappy bucket and took it home to wash. I was only there 1 or 2 days so they came home when I did, but had planned on the husband taking them home to wash if necessary.

#45 Riotproof

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:48 PM

I would honestly just use disposable in hospital.

#46 TinyGiraffe

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:04 PM

It depends if you plan to buy newborn nappies, I used disposable for around 6 weeks while I founr my feet and until bub fitted the OSFM I had purchased.

#47 EmmDasher

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:35 PM

Disposables in hospital. Plenty of other things to get used to in those first few days and you won’t have to wash out meconium.

#48 Disydo2018

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:37 PM

Thanks everyone!

#49 Sancti-claws

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:22 PM

I can't even remember hospital (but it was a long, long, l-o-n-g time ago - my baby is turning 20 this year and my little baby I didn't even spend 1 night in hospital with - baby in the morning, home in the evening) but one thing that was so worth it in the very early days was liners (I used terry flats with newborns) - I had some liners that were godsends with the vegemite and peanut butter versions of human excrement that unfortunately has stained my memories far more than hospital experiences!!!

#50 400

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:29 PM

We had OSFM that were too big until DS was a few weeks old, we just used disposables until then.

However our hospital supplied disposables for us so we didn’t think too hard about it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.