Is anyone refusing to vote this year?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 yummymummycakes

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:41 PM

Question came up as I am sick - have been all week. Hospital trips, ambulance required -  pneumonia complicated with asthma & severe anemia so really struggling with oxygen levels.

Someone reminded me about having to vote tomorrow - oh crap! Forgot all about it. I just said 'I'm to sick, there all idiots, they can send me the fine'

Someone else told me they weren't going to vote because they are all idiots!

So is anyone else planning on donkey voting or just abstaining altogether?

#2 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:04 AM

POPULAR

Never - I would have to be taking my last breath to not vote.

I have never understood donkey voting - if people go the trouble of voting - just vote properly.  What the hell stupid idea is it to not have your vote counted.  (not including actual voting errors).

And in my experience, the few donkey voters I have known were always the ones to bleat loudest when they didn't agree with either the result or what the government implements after the election.

#3 jcricket

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:46 AM

Never Ever
There are many many immigrants who live in my area who have been eligible for citizenship for over six months but whose citizenship processing has been “delayed” indefinitely due to “backlog” with the waiting time being given of 2 years or more. They are incredibly frustrated that they are being denied the right to vote in this election because of this. Most come from countries where going to vote can mean risking your life yet they still do so.

Safe, anonymous voting is one the greatest privileges we have in this country. The minute we start taking that for granted, we’re doomed.

#4 Caribou

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

I’m sorry you’ve been sick. Hospitals and AEC have prodecures in place to help with voting when in hospital.

While the party options aren’t that great, you need to pick the preferences you can live with. Please don’t randomly pick someone because you’re angry with the system. That’s how people like Clive Palmer get in. Voting is incredibly important and shapes the direction of our future. You may think you missing a vote isn’t going to influence the outcome, but it can be that vote that gives one party more preference over another.

I’ve been sick this week too, really bad head cold, but I still took myself to a pre-polling booth and voted. I’ve had my say in how I would like my country to run for the sake of my kids.

Try get to a voting booth today, if someone can drive you there, excellent. But please don’t refuse to vote because they’re all idiots. You still need to pick the idiot you can live with.

Edited by Caribou, 18 May 2019 - 06:03 AM.

#5 SummerStar

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM

Edited by SummerStar, 22 May 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#6 jcricket

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

I’m very sorry. I just realised my post is rather insensitive to your situation.

My post was only in response to your question about donkey voting/abstaining.

I hope you get better very soon. If you feel up to it then definitely ask the hospital about your options for voting in your condition. If you do not feel up to it then it is perfectly ok to abstain given your circumstances.

View Postjcricket, on 18 May 2019 - 05:46 AM, said:

Never Ever
There are many many immigrants who live in my area who have been eligible for citizenship for over six months but whose citizenship processing has been “delayed” indefinitely due to “backlog” with the waiting time being given of 2 years or more. They are incredibly frustrated that they are being denied the right to vote in this election because of this. Most come from countries where going to vote can mean risking your life yet they still do so.

Safe, anonymous voting is one the greatest privileges we have in this country. The minute we start taking that for granted, we’re doomed.

#7 molinero

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:17 AM

Understandably you are unwell and probably lacking in motivation. But if you are able to vote, do so for the party you hate the least.

People who don't vote have no right to be angry if One Nation takes a landslide victory and forms government.

Not that it's likely this will happen, but you get what I mean...

Even if you live in a safe liberal or labour seat, your vote in the senate could make a difference.

Buy if you can't vote today due to illness, that is also perfectly acceptable. Pneumonia is absolutely horrible (I've been there). I hope you recover soon.

#8 TrixieBelden

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

If you’re too sick, you’re too sick. We had the AEC in the hospital this week for patients but they will still have missed some who were too unwell.

I would not choose not to vote otherwise. It’s a privilege we were denied until quite recently in the scheme of things. I think if you feel you have no options then it’s time to get involved in politics. Always easier to sit on the sidelines and throw rocks; better to take some responsibility and get involved. I joined a party because I was sick of the sound of my own whinging and could not fail to take action any longer.

#9 Froyo

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:51 AM

Doctors can issue exemption notices for those not fit to vote. But I am very opposed to people not voting purely by choice.

We don't vote to put in the best, we vote to keep out the worst.
Look at the US to see why this is so vitally important.

Apologies to Melina Marchetta for butchering her words.

Edited by Froyo, 18 May 2019 - 06:58 AM.

#10 Wigglemama

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:57 AM

I am working on call all this weekend and not sure if I will get called in so I voted early as wouldn’t be able to get away from work however it was my workplace that offered early voting, which is a Hospital so there is an option to vote if you are unwell.

I think donkey voting is ridiculous. We are very fortunate to have the right to vote to keep the idiots out. Countries where there is regimes do not afford their citizens these rights so I would never take that privilege for granted.

#11 Crooked Frame

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:00 AM

I'm sorry you're so unwell.

Complacency is how the US got Trump. It's all well and good for people to say "all the parties are sh*t" or whatever, but there are levels of sh*t. If you want to think that way (the general you, not you personally) then do your bit by voting for the least sh*t.

I'm 6 months pregnant and broke my ankle last weekend. Our local polling place is a 10 minute walk away, and I'm the only driver in the family. You can bet on Wednesday I hobbled to the bus stop with my moon boot and crutches to pre-poll vote at the closest location I could find. I despair at what could happen if our government continues the way it is at present.

Edited by Crooked Frame, 18 May 2019 - 07:00 AM.

#12 IkeaAddict

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

If you don't vote you cannot legitimately whinge about politicians and the decisions they make. if you do whinge then your whinge isn't valid because you didn't turn up to try to make a difference

#13 Hands Up

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

No. I’d drag myself there if need be. Don’t be idiotic yourself.

#14 annodam

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

No, never!

I have always voted correctly.

#15 Reader

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:19 AM

I take voting very seriously so I would never not vote (serious illness is an exception, obviously).

A donkey vote is when you just number the boxes in order from the top so you’re still voting for particular candidates. If someone really wants to protest, they are better off voting informally, although to me, that’s a wasted vote.

#16 Daffy2016

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:20 AM

No. Never ever.

It’s not about needing the perfect or even good candidate to vote for.

It’s about making sure you list the real nutters and - lets be honest - the actual nazis last.

People who donkey vote or don’t care are being thoughtless and potentially harmful.

There’s that excellent quote about how all it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.

#17 Octopodes

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

I don't understand the 'the parties are all sh*t' comments people keep spouting this election. This is the first time in 25 years there is a real difference between the two major parties. There is a clear choice, they are not just shadowing each other. So many of their policies are in direction opposition to each other.

I don't like Shorten or Morrison, but their parties have a distinct identity and it is the party (through local candidates) I will be voting for. We all know Prime Ministers come and go.

I will stop voting when I am dead or so close to it, I can't get out of my hospital bed to cast my vote.

Edited by Octopodes, 18 May 2019 - 07:26 AM.

#18 jessiesgirl

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

View Postyummymummycakes, on 17 May 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

Someone else told me they weren't going to vote because they are all idiots!

If I wouldn’t do something because the people involved were all idiots, I would not get anything done.

I love voting, the principle, the reality, the whole shebang.

#19 nom_de_plume

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

I would (and have) voted informally before. I left the ballot papers blank and put them straight in the box.

I was seriously tempted to do so this election. There were only two people on the lower house ticket I could live with putting a number next to, and about 3 in the (absurdly long) upper house ticket.

No matter who wins this election, we’re in for a few more years of personality contests, political infighting and not enough action. It’s deplorable.

#20 Octopodes

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

I do think we need to switch to full optional preferential voting, like we have in NSW. We don't have to number all of the boxes on either ballot. I enjoy exhausting my vote before the rightwing nutballs.

#21 Caribou

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:38 AM

To the PPs,

Please don’t do things like going to get your name ticked off and then leaving ballot papers blank. If so many of us did this all it would do is lead those who were properly voted to gain power, when they wouldn’t have otherwise. You have crazies who strongly believe in their party and vote, and then when you have a cluster of, ‘no one is good enough, they’re not getting my vote,’ you simply hand more power over to the crazies. Then to complain it’s not good enough? That’s because you didn’t vote properly. You’re not just voting for yourself, but your kids future. It’s like refusing to cross at a crossing, but cross next to the crossing. What are you teaching your kids?

OP, you're sick and have a pretty valid reason not to vote, you can get a medical certificate from the dr for exemption when the notice comes in the mail. but if you can, try vote.

Edited by Caribou, 18 May 2019 - 07:54 AM.

#22 gracie1978

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

I think you have a very valid reason not to

Personally I haven't voted in about 12 years.

I am fascinated by politics, but I can't vote here and I don't believe I should vote in my home country as I don't live there (even though I'm eligible).  It also helps that both main parties are trustworthy.

You must be absolutely exhausted OP, hope you feel better soon.

#23 Freddie'sMum

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

I would love to be able to vote.  DH and I have lived in Australia for almost 20 years and we are not eligible to vote as we are not citizens.

I am sorry you are sick OP.

#24 BadCat

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

Not a chance.

I take my right to vote as a very important privilege.

There are valid reasons why some people can't, and off course illness can be one of them.

What I have no time for is people who are too petulant to vote because they don't like the choices.  I don't care if you don't like the choices.  You're an adult.  Spend the time to work out which candidate best reflects your personal viewpoints on how the country should be run and get out there and bloody vote for them.

Apathy is deadly.  Stop it.

Oh, and don't get me started on people who won't vote for something because people asked them to.  Or "harassed" them.  I had a gutful of people like that on the SSM Survey.  It's the most pathetic bullsh*t way of saying you're apathetic and couldn't be bothered to actually have an opinion of your own I've ever seen.

Edited by BadCat, 18 May 2019 - 08:02 AM.

#25 Prancer is coming

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

If you are too sick to get there, then fair enough.

With the other things though, stick a note on your door saying not to knock on the door about politics.  And just hang the phone up.  Personally, I think it is good candidates make the effort to canvas the community and I think more should do it.  Politicians can’t win - people say they don’t feel represented by them, but then when they try and talk to you, it is harassment.

I get how the parties running might not appeal.  But surely there is an independent in your electorate that sounds ok.  An independent in my electorate has gotten in for the past few elections and is really fabulous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.