Female Politicians- who do we admire?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 RynandStompy

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

I'm trying to distract myself today. Here's a thread where we can post past and present female politicians we admire, and why. Hopefully we see more elected tonight.

I'll start with a NZ politician from my youth: Marilyn Waring. Jacinta Arden is also great but this feature here is amazing in recalling how brave Marilyn was when she crossed the floor for the  NZ nuclear free debate and issue back in 1984.

https://i.stuff.co.n...m-1975-to-1984.

#2 Flimsy*But*Fun

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

Joan Kirner, first female Premier of Vic, 1990.  She actually did more once she was out of the role (die hard environmentalist, leftist and instrumental in setting up Emily's List in Australia - VERY much an advocate for women in politics), but, of course, instead of being remembered for her achievements, she's remembered for her polka dot dresses :rolleyes:

#3 MooGuru

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:43 PM

Angela Merkel.

Eta - she's incredibly intelligent, unflappable and I love that she's reached a point where she doesn't hide that she doesn't suffer fools gladly

Edited by MooGuru, 18 May 2019 - 03:49 PM.

#4 Jane Jetson

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

AOC all the way!

#5 Freddie'sMum

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:14 PM

I like Hilary Clinton.  I was astonished that America voted in Trump - absolutely gobsmacked that they would elect someone who had never served in politics at all and was - at best - a crass, ugly man.  

All the way through that election, DH was saying "oh Trump will never get the Republican nod, oh Trump will never win the election" and I was one of the women who cried the day he won.

I like Julia Gillard.  I like Jacinda Ardern - and before the Christchurch massacre so many people (including my inlaws in NZ) were "she shouldn't be PM, she is pregnant".  I was aghast.  What the hell century were we living in?  

Then came the kicker -
Them - "she can't run the country if she is pregnant / and a mum at the same time".
Me: "Well the Queen did it - she was married and had 2 children when she was a princess and another 2 children when she was Queen - and she is head of England, the Commonwealth and the freaking Church - so maybe she had more on her plate than just being PM of NZ !!!!"

So much ignorance ......

#6 kadoodle

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

Not a politician as yet, but Sally McManus.

#7 TrixieBelden

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

Julia Gillard. Elizabeth Warren. Jenny Macklin.

As a teenager I got to meet Cheryl Kernot (in the democrats days) and really admired her for ages (at the time, teenage girls were meant to admire Natasha Stott Despoja).  That didn't turn out so well. I also admired Carmen Lawrence back then.

The bizarre part about the reaction to Jacinda Arden was that it is considered such a positive for a male politician to have a young family (that they don't see).

#8 mumsoon1975

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Penny Wong, Joan Kirner, Jacinta Arden, Tanya Plibersek, Jane Hume, Kristina Keneally, Amanda Vanstone, Jenny Macklin... there are a lot of incredibly strong and impressive women on both sides of politics. Don’t necessarily agree with all their views but admire their passion and conviction.

Edited to replace ‘Macklemore’ with ‘Macklin’ (although that could have been amazing too)

Edited by mumsoon1975, 18 May 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#9 missminx

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

Julie Bishop. I loathe the LNP with every bone in my body, but she was always on top of her role, well spoken, immaculately dressed and held her own in a sea of middle aged white men.

I know someone who was an adviser to Nicola Roxon and they always spoke so highly of how she spent tax payer money e.g. only flew economy when she was entitled to fly business etc.  If that is true, then I admire her for service to the public in all facets.

Edited by missminx, 18 May 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#10 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:35 PM

View Postmissminx, on 18 May 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

Julie Bishop. I loathe the LNP with every bone in my body, but she was always on top of her role, well spoken, immaculately dressed and held her own in a sea of middle aged white men.

I know someone who was an adviser to Nicola Roxon and they always spoke so highly of how she spent tax payer money e.g. only flew economy when she was entitled to fly business etc.  If that is true, then I admire her for service to the public in all facets.

Bishop might be up for a plum diplomatic posting - even if labor wins, i read recently.

#11 Pearson

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

View Postmissminx, on 18 May 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

Pre pollie days she was a cut throat lawyer who tried to stop the asbestos victims getting compensation from (corrected) CSR ... that is what stops me liking her.
Julia Gillard.

Edited by Pearson, 18 May 2019 - 07:04 PM.

#12 missminx

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

I am not at all defending the right of asbestos victims to have compensation and indeed they should, but remember that lawyers only act on instructions from their client.

If Hardie want to fight tooth and nail to not pay compensation, they are entitled to have a team of lawyers try to do just that, in the same way that murderers and paedophiles are entitled to legal representation and a fair trial, so are big corporations.

#13 Beanette

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:54 PM

Penny Wong, such an impressive woman. Listening to her speak you can hear how intelligent she is, and she is so deliberate with her choice of words.

#14 Jane Jetson

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

Mehreen Faruqi is pretty awesome, too.

#15 Pearson

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

View Postmissminx, on 18 May 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

I am not at all defending the right of asbestos victims to have compensation and indeed they should, but remember that lawyers only act on instructions from their client.

If Hardie want to fight tooth and nail to not pay compensation, they are entitled to have a team of lawyers try to do just that, in the same way that murderers and paedophiles are entitled to legal representation and a fair trial, so are big corporations.

Yes, but it says a lot about the firm that they choose to hire. Ethics can form part of a business, as you reflect in your post, and the ethics oft match that of their employees, so while they act on instruction, there is some element of being horrible in there somewhere.

#16 missminx

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

Oh for sure, but the majority of law firms are old boys clubs.  My guess would be that a partner at that law firm personally knew someone at Hardie and agreed to take them on. Law firm can make truckloads of money knowing they are going to lose and ethics be damned.

#17 maryanneK

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

I'd forgotten about Nicola Roxon, I really liked her. But at the moment, Penny Wong and Tanya Plibersek. So obviously intelligent and hard working, passionate but not blindly partisan/political and annoying

I like Julie Bishop too, I think she was always more reasonable, smart, funny....better out of that party!

#18 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:33 PM

Julie Bishop, while foreign minister, managed to still be very visible in her electorate, she would turn up a local schools’ events, things like that. She was very hard working.

#19 Chchgirl

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

Jacinda of course.

I don't mind Julia Bishop even though I don't like the Libs, I don't know much about politicians in other countries.

I did like Julia Gillard..

#20 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:18 PM

Gee Penny Wong is doing well on the ABC

#21 TrixieBelden

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:31 PM

I don’t agree with Julie Bishop on anything but it was a sign of how poor the political pool is that working hard and not shaming us overseas actually made her the star of the team.

#22 UniKitty

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:08 PM

Sarah Hansen-Young. She might not be well liked by non Greens voters but her bravery in calling out misogyny and double standards is phenomenal.

#23 Chchgirl

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:24 AM

View PostYumChaTheSecond, on 18 May 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

Gee Penny Wong is doing well on the ABC

Ahh i forgot Penny Wong, i like her, i watched that as well.

#24 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:53 AM

Penny Wong.

#25 Crombek

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

Julia Gillard. I think she was, and is, incredible. Of course she is flawed, who isn’t. But she did an amazing job with the hand she was dealt and I will forever admire her ability to take the high road even when it ultimately meant her downfall.

Penny of course, and Tanya.

AOC. What a woman. I would swoon if I met her in person.

I’m very conflicted on Julie Bishop. I can’t help liking her despite not agreeing with her party on anything. I don’t know, I feel like maybe she has a mountain of personal views she kept well hidden to survive there? Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

Closer to home - Sue Hickey. Again don’t agree with her politics at all, but think she does an amazing job as Speaker. She’s not afraid to treat them like the naughty boys they can be. It often gets her in trouble with her party.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.