Cake decorating advice

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ABabyPlease

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Hi, I'd like to make this cake for an adults party. I am wondering what type of icing that is and any tips on technique. I'm not actually on Pinterest, I just found the photo on an image search.

https://www.pinteres...58582533919992/

Oh, I'm open to any other chocolate decorating ideas.
Thanks

#2 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

Pretty cake
I'm not a professional at all but this be my plan after watching so many hours of cake wars, cake masters and all that.

I'd use buttercream, I'd assume thats what it is, best moulding that style, will set back up and hold shape once chilled.
Ice it up as normal.
Then there a tool you can get, think like a pastry cutter but it has a zigzag edge. Gotta sit cake on a lazy Susan, hold the tool at starting point and don't move it, use a consistent but not fast turn and turn the cake the cake  

Id grate or shave chocolate over whole thing too. Extra chocolate never hurt anyone

I'd also consider a skewer Inside the cake to make sure it don't slip or move

#3 cstar

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

Agree with above pp

This website is great, has recipes and lots of tips

https://livforcake.com

#4 lizzzard

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

I am guessing it’s piped buttercream - It would take ages, but I’d use a piping bag with a smooth round nozzle, and pipe rings of ice if close against each other, round and round the cake.

I’m also not an e expert though!

#5 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

I do cakes and I would use ganache for this.  To get the ruffle/ridge effect, I would either pipe the icing starting at the top of the cake, using a nozzle that looks a bit like a tear drop, widest edge facing toward me.  Or you can buy a tool that will give a similar effect but without the stand out ruffle feature.  

You could use chocolate polish on choc bars to make them different colours or use a some edible crystal flakes over the top of the cake.  You could also make chocolate sails to give height to the cake.

#6 ABabyPlease

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

Oh, it sounds like I have some experimenting to do!!

Tinkly Winky, what is chocolate polish?

Thanks All

#7 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

View Postcstar, on 18 May 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Agree with above pp

Far out,  the cakes on that website look absolutely delicious.

I have no idea what kind of icing so  I'd go in to a cake decorating store for suggestions.

#8 ABabyPlease

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

Love the Liv for cake web site.

Just wondering if I could ever get buttercream that dark?

Maybe I will have to use ganache, I've never piped it before, is that difficult?

#9 MakesMeHappy

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

View Postcstar, on 18 May 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

Agree with above pp

Thanks for recommending this site! It looks awesome and I am always on the look out for new cake ideas :)

#10 amdirel

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 18 May 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

'd use buttercream, I'd assume thats what it is, best moulding that style, will set back up and hold shape once chilled.
Ice it up as normal.
Then there a tool you can get, think like a pastry cutter but it has a zigzag edge. Gotta sit cake on a lazy Susan, hold the tool at starting point and don't move it, use a consistent but not fast turn and turn the cake the cake  

I'd also consider a skewer Inside the cake to make sure it don't slip or move

Yep, this is what it looks like to me. I certainly wouldn't be piping it, especially if you're a beginner!

#11 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

It is sold at decorating shops, is about $8 and you brush it on to chocolate to make gold, silver and about 15 other colours on the chocolate.  Gold easter eggs are brushed with it.

#12 TequilaMockingbird

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

That looks like ganache to me.

I'd use a textured scraper to achieve that effect.

If you're making it 2 tiers, use wooden dowels for support through each tier and a board the same size as the top tier between the tiers for extra support.

Edible gold and silver leaf and lustre powders are an easy way to fancy up chocolate and can be brushed onto things like berries and macarons as well.

#13 eponee

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

View PostTinky Winky Woo, on 18 May 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

It is sold at decorating shops, is about $8 and you brush it on to chocolate to make gold, silver and about 15 other colours on the chocolate.  Gold easter eggs are brushed with it.

Is it also called lustre dust?

Edited by eponee, 19 May 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#14 ABabyPlease

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

I tried the zig zag tool with ganache and that wasn't right.  I tried to pipe the ganache and I think that would work but my piping isn't very good. Might try buttercream or just another cake decoration.

Thanks for your ideas.

#15 Demera

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

You would need a very steady piping hand and a good spinning turntable to make that one.   I'd probably just put on the ganache and then scrap the tip of the spatula around the cake while spinning the turntable. It would be the opposite effect but still nice and a whole lot easier.

#16 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

Lustre dust is a different item.  If you want to use the item for just chocolate, then chocolate polish is better, the colour is better, it stays on the chocolate and the effect last's longer, in my experience.

Lustre dust is better for buttercreams, fondant, and other things.

#17 IamOzgirl

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Back in the 90s we used to beat/whip ganache. That’s what I would use. It would look lighter, which is what that cake looks decorated with.

And yes use a spatula to get a similar look, not as many ripples as that cake though.

#18 Rangeman

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

Hi OP,

Definitely looks like choc buttercream and you don't need any fancy tools, just pop it on the cake and you can even use a knife to get the grooves in the cake just hold it horizontal to the cake and spin the cake around. To get the buttercream so dark use dutch processed cocoa.

To make b/cream light and fluffy make sure your butter is room temp, beat butter for about 8 mins, add all the other ingredients and beat for another 6 then use straightaway always fluffy and easy to use.

good luck

#19 eponee

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

Do you have a Plan B, OP?

#20 ABabyPlease

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

Rangeman, that sounds achievable, I might try that.

Eponee, yes I have found an alternative cake with fondant that I can make so I do have a plan B if the buttercream doesn't work.

#21 Froyo

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:48 AM

It looks like ganache rather than buttercream to me as well.

#22 ABabyPlease

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:20 PM

Thanks Everyone for your input. I wasn't able to replicate this so I'm going for plan B. I reckon if I was good at piping then it would be achievable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.