When can you take your baby swimming?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie80

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

My baby is 3 months old and I was thinking of taking her with me in the pool today. But I read that it's not recommended for a baby to go into a pool before 6 months. And the pool must be heated. Is that true?

#2 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

I have read on pamphlets from swimming pools that you shouldn't really take them before 6 months as they cant regulate their temperature up until that point.
Having said that, Ive seen loads of people with babies younger than that at public pools. I guess just make sure they are warm enough and don't spend too long in there?

#3 robhat

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

A baby can't maintain their body temperature very well like an adult can, so taking a very young baby into a cold pool or a really hot one isn't a great idea unless it's for a very short period of time.

The other thing to consider is the amount of germs etc you may be exposing the baby to.

I think I took my daughter into a relative's backyard pool for a 10 minute dip in the middle of summer when she was 2 months old. Less risk of germs as it's not a public pool and also water was warmish due to the weather and she wasn't in the water long.

So basically if it's your backyard pool and you keep it short and it's not a freezing day, or the water isn't freezing, it probably won't harm your baby. But then, there's also no real good reason to bother.

#4 Drat

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

I must be a terrible parent then..

My 1st daughter was in a public pool before 3 months and my 2nd will be too. 1st daughter was in swimming lessons by 4 months and so will second.
My 1st daughter was routinely swimming in our non heated pool for ages before 6 months.

#5 Ayr

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

With my last child I was told swimming leassons before about 2 was a waste of money. Putting them in a bath and running water over their heads was as effective. That was from people that started swimming lessons at 6 months. So we didn't bother until 3. Worked for us, wasn't necessary to take them in until then and we were living in a property with a fenced pool at the time.

#6 SeaPrincess

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

I took DS1 to a physio hydrotherapy thing for new mums when he was 8 weeks old. I had to provide proof of vaccination to take him in the pool. When we lived in Darwin, we took our new baby in our pool at around 3 weeks.

#7 PrincessPeach

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

They start water familiarisation classes near me from 2 months of age - it's a heated pool.

friends of ours had their 3 week old in their own pool over summer. In the middle of a heatwave it was a good way to keep cool.

#8 dearydo

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:24 PM

We were told the same thing about 6 months and temperature regulation, that it was better to use a damp washer or very very shallow coolish bath/baby pool/big bucket with just enough for some little splashes with most of the body held out of the water.

Same as PP for swimming lessons, that as long as they were familiar with water (shower, bath, fun swimming with parents), that 3 years was a good age for starting lessons. That while there might be differences at first, after a term or two, there would be no big difference between a child who started at 6 months vs a child.who started at 3 years. Not an issue for those wanting a fun activity to do with their child and if it is enjoyable for everyone, but relevant for those who struggle to fit it in with everything else or who's little children arent enjoying it.

#9 Drat

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

View PostAyr, on 18 May 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

With my last child I was told swimming leassons before about 2 was a waste of money. Putting them in a bath and running water over their heads was as effective. That was from people that started swimming lessons at 6 months. So we didn't bother until 3. Worked for us, wasn't necessary to take them in until then and we were living in a property with a fenced pool at the time.

I've seen the complete opposite.
My 2 year old can jump/fall into a pool and swim to the side to save herself, so totally not a waste of money. There's a huge skill difference between her and the other kids in the class, most of them started 6-8 months ago.  

Most of the other kids in her class are older and started after 2 and still cry most lessons about getting their faces wet. All my friends kids started lessons after 2 and most of them won't put their head under the water (despite happily doing it in the bath) and most of them say they regret not doing lessons before they were old enough to complain/refuse.

#10 Ayr

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

That's great but I took my advice from those doing it at the time one of which was an ex swim teacher and it worked for us. Our kids were fine no delays in learning because we didn't dunk their heads in a pool at 6 months. Each to their own though, for us it would have been a waste of money and at the time we had no pool at home.

#11 Soontobegran

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

I would not put a baby in a public pool before they are vaccinated so for us it was 6 months.
They came into our pool earlier but it was warmed water and hot weather.

Edited by Soontobegran, 20 May 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

View PostDrat, on 20 May 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

I've seen the complete opposite.
My 2 year old can jump/fall into a pool and swim to the side to save herself, so totally not a waste of money. There's a huge skill difference between her and the other kids in the class, most of them started 6-8 months ago.  

Most of the other kids in her class are older and started after 2 and still cry most lessons about getting their faces wet. All my friends kids started lessons after 2 and most of them won't put their head under the water (despite happily doing it in the bath) and most of them say they regret not doing lessons before they were old enough to complain/refuse.

We see the same thing - our swim school has actually recently introduced a totally separate level for initial swimmers 3 & up. They were finding too much variance in skill level between the kids who had been swimming previously & the ones who had never swum before. Plus the massive age differences, putting 5 year olds in with 2yr 9 month olds is just asking for trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.