A question for hairdressers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 anon039

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

I’m wondering if hairdressers are still taught to layer women’s hair?
I’m finding it really hard to get any hairdresser under 30 to not look at me somewhat confused when I ask for long layers.
As in LONG layers, not up to my ears and not just random pieces of hair that are left dangling.

I used to be able to get long feminine messy(ish) layers and my hair sat so well.

Is this still taught?
Legitimate question.

Thanks!

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:04 AM

I have the same problem. I often wonder if I’m asking for the wrong thing, has the lingo changed? Or has the skills changed? I dunno. I just want my hair to be long, but thinned a bit, in layers.

#3 balancing.act

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:21 AM

Bring a photo with you. Either of you with a cut that you like or of someone with a haircut you like - it doesn't need to be a celebrity, and be realistic :)

Sometimes describing it as 'textured' makes it better but I find going to the same hairdresser  and getting a common understanding is worth its weight.

#4 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:33 AM

I've got short hair and I have the same problem - and I take a picture in.

One of the hairdressers at the salon, does a fantastic job at layering my hair all over and whatever style I've had over the years I've been really happy with her cutting.  She's in her late 50s like me.

Unfortunately, she is cutting down on hr hours and isn't always there when I have the time to get my hair cut. I show the younger hairdressers the picture I want and somehow I come out with my hair in a series of fairly defined 'steps'. The layers haven't been blended in at all.  It's just weird.

It's now 4 months since I had my hair cut (sob!) and for short hair that's a long time.

I don't want a new hairdresser - either for the younger girls to know how to blend layers or for my favourite to not have a private life and just make herself completely available for me.  That's not too much to ask, is it?

#5 Chocolate Addict

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:55 AM

I would love to know what they do teach these days.
My old mum still loves a perm but it is hard to find a place or person that does them.
The guy she sees now is trying to teach the younger ones,he too is probably in his 50s so probably trained in peak perm time. lol

I had trouble finding someone to do a bob, but I do know it can be hard to do.

#6 BornToLove

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:17 AM

I haven’t had layers done in a good 10 years, layering hair really hasn’t been in style for a long time, so I don’t think many hairdressers would be very experienced with cutting and blending layers.

However, I do get my hair thinned out to help with volume. Even finding a hairdresser can can do that technique well is hard to come by. They either take out too much and I have an abundance of flyaways or too little and no volume.

I don’t have a regular hairdresser now so I feel your pain. The one I had, got too expensive (over $100 just for a cut!!). I’ve been to a few local salons, but haven’t had a cut worth going back to the same person twice since I have been looking. I do find it helps asking for a stylist who is good with my hair type (fine hair that hasn’t been coloured) when I make the appointment.

#7 anon039

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

I really like styles like these and I in no way consider these old fashioned but hairdressers are stumped by these styles!
I can’t have hair all the same length as it sits terribly.
Surely layering is one of the fundamentals they still teach...?

Attached Files

#8 Feral33

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

It doesn’t matter what you ask for, they always try to do this:
https://www.betootaa...trical-haircut/

#9 WaitForMe

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 19 May 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

I had trouble finding someone to do a bob, but I do know it can be hard to do.

Oh you just hit a sore point!

A couple months ago I changed to a bob. Got a fringe as well on suggestion of the hairdresser. It was a big change and I got more compliments on my hair than I've ever had.

Went back to same salon but different hairdresser on Friday. Just wanted a trim. She has completely ruined the fringe, it looks just... wrong... but I can't figure out what exactly is wrong with it. I suspect she curved the sides too much, and didn't do that thing where they point the scissors vertical and snip the ends.

I hate it, it looks just weird, and I have a couple of job interviews coming up!

#10 #YKG

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

I wouldn’t say layers are old fashioned or out of trend, pretty much a staple, I don’t know anyone that has hair longer than a bob that doesn’t have layers.

Maybe ask when making an appt who can do layers and blend them properly in the salon?

#11 aluminium

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

I have the same trouble. I ask for long layers and have had all manner of sh*t haircuts including some weird short at back long at front business.

I switched to an organic product hair dresser and have had less trouble getting more natural styles with them.

#12 Manicmum

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

It’s worse if you have curls, they want to straighten it and cut it all one length, I asked about shaping around the face and they said it would be a mullet. I finally found a hairdresser that did all the things the previous one said was impossible with my hair...  a good sold fashioned razor cut, bob and layers... thrilled! It’s taken 3 years or trying hair dressers.

#13 anon039

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

I’m at a point now that I believe some of them don’t understand what layering is or maybe it’s been replaced with another word.

I don’t want to be condescending but maybe I’ll need to clarify when I make an appointment that they can do long blended layers.

Can I just ask if anyone thinks the haircuts I’ve posted look overly complicated or really outdated that no one would know how to do them?
I just want to make sure that it’s not me!

Edited by anon039, 19 May 2019 - 10:17 AM.

#14 chicken_bits

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

View Postanon039, on 19 May 2019 - 08:19 AM, said:

I really like styles like these and I in no way consider these old fashioned but hairdressers are stumped by these styles!
I can’t have hair all the same length as it sits terribly.
Surely layering is one of the fundamentals they still teach...?

I'm obviously old (32!!) because that's exactly what I think of when you say layers. What are people with long hair doing these days? Are they just cutting it all one length?!?

My hairdresser is great. Like others, it's taken me several tries to find a good one.

I'd say keep trying and find someone who can do it.

#15 Moo point

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

My hairdresser gives me long layers (I have fine hair but a lot of it), and even though it's relatively straight I can scrunch it a bit and get beachy style waves because of all the layering. But it still looks nice blow dried straight. She even cuts my 6 year old DS' almost shoulder length hair with long layers and a fringe, it looks amazing.

Here's an article I found - layers are still definitely a thing!

https://www.mariecla...ngth-hair-89458

It took me ages to find a hairdresser who didn't give me a mullet, or lopsided hair, or who doesn't think boys can only have short hair. It pays to call around and ask for what you want.

#16 #YKG

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Anon my hair is the third pic you posted. I’ve had zero issues with it and see it on a lot of people.

Just looking on my hair dressers Facebook and everyone with long hair has blended layers, I only found one two two without and they were sitting on shoulder length and shorter.

Edited by #YKG, 19 May 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#17 Popper

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

My hair is very long and super thick. I have layers around the face only and the rest is all one level. I think this is the current day interpretation of layers, but I could be wrong?

#18 anon039

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

View Post#YKG, on 19 May 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

Anon my hair is the third pic you posted. I’ve had zero issues with it and see it on a lot of people.

Just looking on my hair dressers Facebook and everyone with long hair has blended layers, I only found one two two without and they were sitting on shoulder length and shorter.

Can I ask what you ask for?
It seems many don’t know how to blend layers so you don’t have chunky steps.

Edited by anon039, 19 May 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#19 #YKG

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:50 AM

View Postanon039, on 19 May 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Can I ask what you ask for?
It seems many do t know how to blend them do you don’t have chunky steps.

I ask for soft blended layers, I also get them straighten it and show me the back in the mirror, if it’s not blended properly I get them to fix it then and there, I’ve had some protest it’s blended, I just tell them if I, being untrained can see distinct change in length/layers throughout my hair, it’s not blended.

It’s your hair, you need to be happy and if it means saying “it’s choppy please blend to make it seamless” you should say it, I think many people are afraid to use their voice in those situations and just accept it.

#20 anon039

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

View Post#YKG, on 19 May 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

I ask for soft blended layers, I also get them straighten it and show me the back in the mirror, if it’s not blended properly I get them to fix it then and there, I’ve had some protest it’s blended, I just tell them if I, being untrained can see distinct change in length/layers throughout my hair, it’s not blended.

It’s your hair, you need to be happy and if it means saying “it’s choppy please blend to make it seamless” you should say it, I think many people are afraid to use their voice in those situations and just accept it.

I’ve been assertive and tried my best to articulate what I want.
What I want is not rocket science or out there. It’s just long soft blended layers. Not so long that they’re not visible but also not up to my ears.
I’m beginning to really believe that they don’t understand that term.

Edited by anon039, 19 May 2019 - 12:00 PM.

#21 Orangecake

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:41 PM

I have v thick hair and been going to same salon for years, different stylists but all excellent. The owner hires great people who listen and they get a lot of training.
I've never had a problem getting layers like you describe. They often talk about layers for 'movement'.
My point is a good hairdresser should be able to listen and interpret what you are saying. Layers are not that out there that they wouldn't know about them. Take a picture, but I would also be trying a different stylist and salon.

#22 anon039

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

View PostOrangecake, on 19 May 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

I have v thick hair and been going to same salon for years, different stylists but all excellent. The owner hires great people who listen and they get a lot of training.
I've never had a problem getting layers like you describe. They often talk about layers for 'movement'.
My point is a good hairdresser should be able to listen and interpret what you are saying. Layers are not that out there that they wouldn't know about them. Take a picture, but I would also be trying a different stylist and salon.

I’ll definitely be trying a new salon but I honestly don’t know where to go. I’m in Melbourne.

I’ve tried higher end salons that have won awards and they charge more. I used to think that you get what you pay for and if they’ve got the ability and have done extra training then it’s worth it.
This hasn’t been the case at all. Price and experience means nothing as I’ve still walked out with disasters that have needed fixing.
I’d even get my hair cut at a $15 barber if they were great with my hair!
You’ve all understood what I’m wanting so it’s obviously not me!

I’ll keep searching for reviews.

#23 lizzzard

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

I can tell youre really frustrated OP!

Do you know anyone with long hair and layers you like? I would even go up to a stranger if you see someone with the style you are after. Ask who their hair dresser is and try them.

#24 kookyred

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

if you're inner city melbourne maybe try one of the many korean hair salons about - they can perm and cut layers.

also recommend checking the instagram pages of hairdressers you're going to see. it'll confirm if they can do/have done the type of cut you are after

#25 anon039

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

View Postkookyred, on 19 May 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

if you're inner city melbourne maybe try one of the many korean hair salons about - they can perm and cut layers.

also recommend checking the instagram pages of hairdressers you're going to see. it'll confirm if they can do/have done the type of cut you are after

Thats a good idea!

In regards to Instagram, all I see is long blunt cuts that are blow dried into long curls.
Almost every pic. I wouldn’t have a clue of these people can cut just from those pics!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.