Car seat gurus - help please!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 alfoil hat

Posted 19 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

My dad has a Mazda cx5 which has isofix points on both sides of the rear seat but not in the middle. He wants to install DD’s car seat in the middle, using an isofix point from each side. Is this safe? I thought this was a big no no, but I can’t actually find it written anywhere to show him and now I’m doubting myself. Apparently he’s checked the Mazda handbook which doesn’t prohibit it, but doesn’t say it can be done either. Who is correct? Thank you.

#2 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

We have used the isofix in the middle of our CX5 fine. If you are truly worried, get him also to thread the middle seat belt through as well. The isofix is great as people don't undo the clip by mistake if they are trying to undo their seatbelt if they are sitting in the rear.

#3 alfoil hat

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

Thanks kiwibicycle. I wonder if it’s car specific? I’m sure I read in the manual for my yaris that it has to be a matching set of tethers which is used. But that is an 06 model so maybe it’s changed?

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

I would suggest that you cannot use the middle as ISOFIX is designed for a particular distance between points. Carseat design and testing of forces is based on this difference. To use one point of each set will upset this balance and the seat may not perform as it should.

I know in our old CRV there is an ISOFIX set for each side, then one extra ISOFIX point which enables you to use one of the side points and the special point in the middle (eg, so 1,1 and 3,3, are the normal points but the special 2 can be used with the second 1 point in this configuration   11233).

#5 alfoil hat

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

Thank you VVA. That’s what I’ve been reading but mostly on overseas sites where rigid latch is used. I can see how it would make a big difference in that situation. Would Mazda or Qld Transport be the ones to give the authoritative word on this?

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

As I said the seats are designed under the Australian standard for a particular distance between points. i would suggest that to use the two centremost points you would be pulling the ISOFIX connectors in the wrong direction meaning forces applied to the connectors is not correct nor tested for.

In a similar way seatbelt extenders should not be used with booster seats.

#7 Silly Old Elf

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

Kiwi Bicycle, on 19 May 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

We have used the isofix in the middle of our CX5 fine. If you are truly worried, get him also to thread the middle seat belt through as well. The isofix is great as people don't undo the clip by mistake if they are trying to undo their seatbelt if they are sitting in the rear.
I am pretty sure you are not meant to use both at the same time.
Why not just use the seat belt option op?

#8 LittleMissPink

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

Just use the seatbelt and top tether, not the isofix.

#9 afterlaughter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

You cannot borrow a isofix point from each side to install in middle. This info will be in your car manual. Just install seat in centre using seatbelt and tether If that’s the location you would like the seat.

#10 Future-self

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

As  VVA said, using flexible attachments you can probably reach one Isofix point on each side but I doubt two things:
that a) I don;t think you'd get a tight enough install for the latch to go green to show proper install and b) even if you manage that, the forces are the wrong direction and against the weave for what the seat was designed and tested for.

If he wants the middle seat, he should use the seatbelt. It's what the Australian system is so good as it does allow those two options.

The Transport authority would not have any idea TBH and I doubt Mazda would weigh in on using a seat in a way that's not explicitly listed in the Manuel - not worth the risk of litigation.

#11 little lion

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

Has he thought through the reality of installing it in the middle? The CX5 backseat isn’t huge so he will have two outer seats that are a bit squashed. Most grandparents I know usually pick an outer seat installation for this reason.

#12 alfoil hat

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

Thank you all. I will pass this info on to my dad. To PPs asking why not use the seatbelt, it’s because he takes out the seat every week. I think he only wanted to put her in the middle because it’s her preference (she does in our car) but will put her back to the side if it’s not safe with isofix. Thanks all.

#13 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

little lion, on 19 May 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

Has he thought through the reality of installing it in the middle? The CX5 backseat isn’t huge so he will have two outer seats that are a bit squashed. Most grandparents I know usually pick an outer seat installation for this reason.

If you trying to fit 2 adults in the back with a carseat it's easier to have the adults to have a footwell and door to exit each. Any adult sitting in the middle has their knees up to their chin.

#14 Future-self

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:23 PM

alfoil hat, on 19 May 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

Thank you all. I will pass this info on to my dad. To PPs asking why not use the seatbelt, it’s because he takes out the seat every week. I think he only wanted to put her in the middle because it’s her preference (she does in our car) but will put her back to the side if it’s not safe with isofix. Thanks all.

Bugger her preference - taking a car seat in and out every week from the middle position is outright painful.  For the love of his back and sanity, tell him to use an outer position!

#15 Luci

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:52 PM

I think it is important that child restraints are installed exactly as designed & intended - not cobbled together in a “make it work” sort of way.  So either install using the Isofix points (so install on one side of the rear seat) or use the traditional seat belt method.

#16 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

Kiwi Bicycle, on 19 May 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

No. You cannot borrow a point from each of the outer seats to install with isofix in the middle. Either seat belt install in the middle, or isofix install on the outer seats.

Also no. It's either isofix or seat belt. Not both.

The vehicle isofix points and the child seat have been designed and tested to be used in a certain way. By going against the manufacturer's instructions you are using your child as a crash test dummy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.