Girl Guides

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 WaitForMe

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

Just curious about people's experiences and what they think about Girl Guides?

I thought it might be good for my almost 7yo, my main concern is its on after school from 5-7:30, thats a pretty long time for an activity and late to boot, especially since she's usually in her pyjamas listening to a story at that time.

We can deal with that though if its worthwhile.

What kind of things do they do at this age?

#2 luke's mummu

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

That’s pretty unusual to go for 2 and 1/2 hours, most groups of guides and scouts are 1 and 1/2 hours at this age. Maybe ask if you can have a 2 week free trial and she how she goes? Our scouts group offers this for everyone

#3 #YKG

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

When I was in it I don’t remember it being over 2 hrs, was probably hour to hour and half.
We did different things depending on time of year and what badges that were being aimed for.

I remember making volcanoes, orienteering, cooking, games, planning upcoming camps or weekend activities like horse riding, ropes courses etc. the activities really do depend on the leaders of the group and what the norm is, can vary a lot between units.

#4 2good4u

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:22 PM

My Dd loved GG's. We had a fantastic experienced troup leader. They had great activities.
Alas we moved and tried the new local  troup and it was very disappointing.
I say give it a go.

#5 LittleMissPink

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

Guides will give you 3 weeks free to try it out.

As the mum of a guide, they adapt to the late night pretty quickly. My 6yr old;s group went from 5.30-7.30, at first it just required a change in routine, and then she got used to it.

Dinner and bath BEFORE guides, then straight into bed after.

Junior Guides will have themed weeks usually. So Mothers Day, Anzac Day, Easter etc. There will be Guiding tradition nights- campfires, cookouts, wide games, badge nights, promise ceremonies. In summer, water play nights. In winter, movie nights.

There will be an occasional Hut sleepover. Maybe a camp. Opportunities for community service.

Each night will have a welcome activity, circle time, craft or cooking or games, Patrol activities, wind down chat. Circle time again.

#6 WaitForMe

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

View Postluke, on 19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

That’s pretty unusual to go for 2 and 1/2 hours, most groups of guides and scouts are 1 and 1/2 hours at this age. Maybe ask if you can have a 2 week free trial and she how she goes? Our scouts group offers this for everyone

Ah, must be two sessions.

I noticed a nearby one lists the younger kids for 1.5hrs then older kids for the next 1.5hrs, whereas this one has 5-13yo for 5-7:30.

Ok thats doable. Even better if I don't have to stay there as I have a 3yo.

#7 LittleMissPink

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 19 May 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

Ok thats doable. Even better if I don't have to stay there as I have a 3yo.

Oh you dont stay at Guides! Drop and go!

#8 luke's mummu

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

Our cubs leader is happy for parents to stay for the first few nights to help their child settle in if necessary. Both my boys started in the middle of winter so I encouraged them to settle in quickly!

I did guides from 7-18 years old. Very happy memories and still in touch with a few girls. I also married a distant relative of my old guide leader! ( by coincidence, she didn’t introduce us).

#9 laridae

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

Mine does Scouts rather than guides but they do similar things. At 7 she was in Joey scouts which went for a hour (starting at 5:30pm), now 8 and in cubs and it goes for 1.5 hours. Ours finishes at 8 which is fairly late. We try and do dinner before and off to bed after.
There is normally a game and an activity each week to a theme. Last week they did fire and practised making and lighting little fires. But they've also done first aid, craft activities, walks, cooking etc. Over summer they do boating and kayaking as they are sea scouts.

#10 Meepy

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Guides has been great for my daughter. She is 10, goes to camp regularly, serves the community by carrying flags on Anzac Day, cleaning up Australia, raising money for causes and has a tremendous amount of fun.  Highly recommend it - helps instil work ethic, philanthropic values and independence. Keeps them off screens and active.

#11 2bundles

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:51 PM

My daughter is 14 and is now a junior leader. She has loved it. Good to have a friendship group out of school. She loves camps etc.  very grounded activity.

#12 MsLaurie

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

I’m a Guides leader, i’d suggest checking the timing with the group as 2 1/2 hours is unusually long, so it’s probably staggered timing for different ages... or they could be super keen leaders who run long sessions!

I have so much fun doing Guides, I just love the constantly changing activities and the “old fashioned childhood” aspects of games and cooking and craft. I mainly lead a teens group lately- I love that our meetings are space for them to be kids and silly and a little daggy, when so much in their life is so focused and pressured. For the teens, our activities are a mix of childish silliness (EG next week they’re having a pajama party and building blanket forts) as well as traditional skills like map reading to walk to an ice-cream shop and learning cooking on the fire.

#13 maliwoo

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

I enjoyed guides when I did it in the 80s.
Now my girls do Scouts/ Cubs. They love it. I would have preferred to do scouts myself, but back then girls weren’t allowed... thankfully now they have moved with the times...

#14 BeAwesome

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

My eldest did Girl Guides, and only stopped due to a conflict with another activity.

My youngest is 7 and started Guides half way through Prep.  

My older daughter was probably a bit more actively involved than her sister - she went on numerous camps, etc.

Ours runs for 2 hours, and finishes at 7.3o pm.

They've done activities like kayaking, rock climbing, craft, cooking, lots of outdoor fun games, singing, etc, plus fundraising activities.

Between my 2 kids, they have activities finishing at that time or later 4 nights a week, so it's just become the new normal here.

#15 Caribou

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

funny you mention this! I've been getting girl guide ads all morning! Did your interest come from there?

I thought about it for my DD too. she's also 7. I think she'd like it, but I want to see what the difference is between girl guides and scouts.

#16 Fourteenyears

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostCaribou, on 20 May 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

funny you mention this! I've been getting girl guide ads all morning! Did your interest come from there?

I thought about it for my DD too. she's also 7. I think she'd like it, but I want to see what the difference is between girl guides and scouts.

I don’t know that there is much difference between Scouts and guides except that guides has no boys.  Which can be an advantage under some circumstances - some Cub Scout packs are quite boy-heavy still (not ours, it currently has more girls than boys.  I don’t think we have guides nearby).      

Both of mine (one boy, one girl) do scouts, and I know that some of the super-fun events they go to - like Scouthike, are attended by Guides too.  

From what I hear from other parents of scouts and guides, the biggest variable is actually the enthusiasm and energy levels of the leader.   And for that reason alone it is worth using the full free trial weeks before committing.

We have been lucky so far with really committed leaders, and being involved in this sort of movement has been great for both my children.  For their confidence, willingness to try new things, the range of experiences it offers, and (for my older child) leadership training and opportunities.

OP I would say go for it!!!!

Edited by Fourteenyears, 20 May 2019 - 12:32 PM.

#17 WaitForMe

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

View PostCaribou, on 20 May 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

Actually it was election day that did it! I was looking up the various polling booths and one was in a scout hall. When DD1 was younger I thought it might be worth looking into when she was older but forgot all about it until now.

I'm also just trying to find some more activities for her to do atm. DH and I were overwhelmed over summer with some that had huge time commitments from us, and so I just ended it all, even swimming lessons, to just take a break.

The break was good at first but now DD1 & DD2 are driving us nuts at home, constantly fighting and just being ratty. Plus I think it would be really beneficial for DD1 to have some friends outside of school.

#18 MsLaurie

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

There are some key differences between Guides and Scouts, apart from the gender balance. The main one is that Scouts badges tend to be quite structured in terms of criteria, whereas Guides ones are more around setting your own challenges within a broad theme, so there is a lot more variation.
Nothing wrong with either approach, but it is quite different.
Depending on your area, there’s likely to be several units that might suit your timetable, and if your kid is keen, it can be valuable to try out at different ones, as the “vibe” of each unit can be quite different depending on the mix of kids, leaders, age groups etc.

#19 laridae

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:42 PM

The scout program has changed this year though - they now sound more like the guide ones. The new scout program is supposed to be more youth led.

We went with scouts simply because the meeting times suited us better though!

Edited by laridae, 20 May 2019 - 09:43 PM.

#20 Just Jack

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:17 PM

Just curious if Girl Guides and Scouts are religious at all? Or nationalist/patriotic? That's how I've thought of them (though maybe I'm thinking of Girls Brigade?) - but I've really had no exposure to them, and now i have growing children and will be thinking about activities for them!

#21 Prancer is coming

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:35 PM

My kids don’t do scouts/girl guides, but I have information for friends.

All groups are not the same.  Some will have more efffective leaders, a better bunch of kids and be more welcoming.  If you don’t like your local club, you have have a different experience at a nearby one.

If your child is not really motivated by badges or does not like school work, the work of the guide in getting badges can fall back onto parents.  My friends mum ended up doing a lot of work on projects so her kid could continue of with guides.

#22 Meepy

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:40 PM

At the end of each Guides weekly meeting there is a chant that references God but that's about the extent of it. I am an atheist so it made me uncomfortable at first. The benefits far outweigh the song, so I ignore it. They do so many great activities and it builds resilience, independence and confidence so much.

Eta
My daughter hates homework and doesn't really do badges outside what they do in the session. It doesn't affect her ability to participate at all.

Edited by Meepy, 20 May 2019 - 10:42 PM.

#23 seayork2002

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

My son does scouts and only does badge work at the groups there is the odd mention of God/prayer but as he is not bothered by it does not phase me, as long as he chooses to continue he is free to continue.

#24 laridae

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

View PostJust Jack, on 20 May 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

Just curious if Girl Guides and Scouts are religious at all? Or nationalist/patriotic? That's how I've thought of them (though maybe I'm thinking of Girls Brigade?) - but I've really had no exposure to them, and now i have growing children and will be thinking about activities for them!
Yes and no. There are references to 'your god' in the scout promise, but it can be any god. But there is another version which is about being true to your spiritual beliefs instead. The Joey scout promise badge requirements do have a part about writing a prayer (which we didn't do exactly, it was more a speech on being good and kind to the world, which was accepted). But that's probably changed with the new program.
It really depends on the leaders as to how religious it goes. Ours is not!

I think guides is less so.

#25 MsLaurie

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:18 PM

Guides is no longer religious - the Promise and Law no longer reference God (or the Queen!). It is open to girls of any and all faiths (and no faith), and from any background.

The current Promise is:
I Promise that I will do my best
To be true to myself and develop my beliefs
To serve my community and Australia
And live by the Guide Law.

So basically- try my best to be a good person and citizen.

Some units still reference god in closing songs, but most groups are transitioning away from it. So for example my unit now sings “Say Goodnight” instead of “God Is Nigh” at the end of Taps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.