Mitcham private hospital?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sheeva33

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

Hello ladies,

any one had experience with this hospital in Melbourne? Any thoughts, advises are welcome.

#2 Lily2010

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

Hi, I birthed there 2 years ago. I found the 2 obstetricians I dealt with there to be not very good- an active labour wasn't promoted (despite my ob saying she supported my wishes for a natural and no/low intervention birth). She was not present at my birth (and no explanation was given.. after the birth I couldn't be bothered questioning it). The replacement ob told me to be on my back to birth my baby which did me more harm than good. Midwife was very passive and offered little support. So I didn't have the greatest birth experience there. I found the post natal care OK- was hit and miss with the midwives, some lovely and some quite dismissive. The best thing I gained while being there was breastfeeding support, formula wasn't pushed on me and a couple of midwives went above an beyond to help me establish breastfeeding. Rooms and food are good, but you are paying for it- double rooms so partner can stay cost extra. Otherwise you are put into a single room which is incredibly poky and difficult for 2 people to stay in comfortably. Second time round I don't think I'd go back to Mitcham.

Edited by Lily2010, 12 June 2019 - 02:25 PM.

#3 Magnolia2

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:51 AM

Would I go back to Mitcham if I had another child - yes probably BUT I shared some of the same experiences as the PP.

Birth experience - great

Postnatal - hit and miss. Whenever you pressed the button for attention, there was always someone available to assist within a few minutes, which was lovely. But I found the lactation consultants officious and unhelpful. Lots of patronising comments about pain during bf-ing being because I wasn’t keeping baby latched properly (don’t get “lazy” etc)/ must have “eaten too many tomatoes”/avoid citrus etc (it took me another couple of hundred bucks and an external board certified Lactation consultant to discover what ended up being an obvious problem that should have been identified way earlier).

Facilities - again, hit and miss. Everyone talks about the food (which was exceptional for hospital!) but it’s not really the reason to choose a hospital, is it? We were on top hospital cover but we were placed in a single room the first night, with DH in a cot alongside the bed. Fair enough, if they’re busy. But there was no room to move, and it was a bit dangerous - I nearly fell over him the first night, still attached to wires, as I tried to shimmy to the loo. We were promised a double room as soon as one became available, but when DH noticed a few free on the third day he made enquiries and was told they’d forgotten to move us. Suffice to say when we moved, there was enough space to walk to the loo :]

Despite top cover and assurances that we would only be out of pocket for incidentals, and a complication free birth, reception still charged us several hundred dollars upon departure. After enquiring with my health fund that was later revealed to be an error and was refunded. Not a great finish - who want to be on the phone to a health insurer for hours with a week old baby at home?

But it’s quiet, you have privacy, and it feels like a warmer, less sterile environment than some hospitals.

Note that it doesn’t have NICU facilities or anything like that - just a SCN. If you’ve got any concerns about bub you might be better off in a tertiary hospital....

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:11 AM

It has got busy. Knox hospital midwifery has closed so it has taken on the load as many obstetricians did both places.

I was with my daughter who delivered there 9 years ago and as a midwife myself I would never have allowed her to go back. She had her next child at Knox with very much improved care. Same doctor.

I have no idea whether it improved after my grandson was born there but I know that other areas of the hospital are good.
They have a huge perinatal mental health area which seems to have had a lot of money poured into it but I don't think any hospital should be chosen on aesthetics and food.......neither of which are extraordinary now.

I'd be interested to hear some recent experiences in obstetrics....I have been in the general area quite recently and the care was good.

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:57 PM

I loved Mitcham. Great birth, great care. My sister loved Mitcham too. We both were there in 2015. We had different doctors. Only complaint was that we were originally placed in a room next to the sleep school, it was noisy! But we requested a change and they moved us as soon as they could (DH stayed with me). My fiend loved Mitcham too.

I hated Knox (in 2014) and wasn’t at all surprised when it shut down. It was horrible, birth wasn’t ideal, but surprisingly, it was the after birth care that was the worst, I still have a bit of trauma from the whole thing.

But with Knox shut down, Mitcham will be busier. Not sure how that has affected them. No doubt there will be less free rooms, more noise, less free nurses, etc.

Box hill has private maternity rooms now though, worth looking into a public birth there, I have heard good and bad things, but mostly good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.