So now that the LNP has won again - what are you going to do about it?

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#1 (feral)epg

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

A lot of us are feeling pretty disappointed about the outcome of this election.  While I'm tempted to just curl up in a ball and refuse to participate in the economy any more there are probably a few more productive ways to challenge the paradigm between now and the next election.  
I really believe that way we act and particularly the way we spend our money has a far bigger impact on society than our votes.
Most of my focus will be on individual efforts to lower our impact on the environment and divert my money to environmentally friendly or socially conscious businesses.
Here are a few things I'll be doing or trying to do - what's on your list

1. Do plastic free July again this year and step up a few things on this front
2. Buy less new stuff, I will source more things from buy nothing groups or second hand shops.
3. Eat less meat
4. Drive less
5. Not take any holidays in Queensland
6. When choosing between products select the product that is kindest to the environment or better in terms of animal welfare terms.  If that product comes from somewhere other than Australia, well sorry Aussie farmers but you miss out.
7. Increase my Greens membership and join Extinction Revolution, I will look into joining a few other community activists groups even if I can only participate by donating money
8 Start picking up rubbish on the way to and from school pickups.  If I get all snarky I might start returning it to the source shops or manufacturers.

#2 seayork2002

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

People could always sign up and actually get involved in politics themselves?

#3 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

I'm looking to this thread for some positivity, so thank you for starting it, (feral)epg.  

I can't add anything yet - I really am too depressed to function.  (Which is not like me).  I think the result is just the straw that has broken my camel's back, on top of DH and my health, financial worries, blah, blah, blah.  (And my soccer team lost yesterday too).

I promise I will come back and post something when I can function again - but in the meantime, I'm really looking forward to the inspiration so many on EB often give me - to pick up and keep going.

#4 Dianalynch

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

I’m a Labor member, I’ll continue to spend countless hours campaigning for Labor and a better future. You’re all welcome to come along to a branch meeting...

#5 Treasure Island

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:50 PM

Yes because we all voted Liberal :rolleyes:

What state do you live in so we can NOT holiday there?

#6 Beanette

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

DH and I have both become Greens members, and started an ongoing monthly donation. Clearly volunteering and putting up yard signs is no longer enough!

#7 AliasMater

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

Queenslander here born and bred, and I support your boycot pp. The hicks up here in the north have brought the country to it's knees, so feel free to hit us where it hurts. We got the government we deserve.

I'm boycotting farmers where I can. For the first time ever will start buying cheap milk, and will participate in the global economy by importing more.

Edited by AliasMater, 20 May 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#8 MooGuru

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:54 PM

Great idea.

For me:
- reduce waste. this is the biggie, something I should already be doing but I find I'll do things and they end up being misguided i.e. I ordered the 5kg tub of washing powder thinking that's going to be better but is a 5kg plastic bucket actually better than buying 5 1kg cardboard boxes of washing powder? Probably not. Did I think about that before odering it online? No.

- I don't buy a lot but I try to buy ethically, I need to increase this.

I'm not sure if this is the thread to do it but I need help and I don't know where to start so give up.

#9 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, it's a bit unfair to single out all of us in Qld.  God knows the leftleaning of us are hurting just as much as the rest of Australia.

#10 jojonbeanie

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

View Post(feral)epg, on 20 May 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

Here are a few things I'll be doing or trying to do - what's on your list

1. Do plastic free July again this year and step up a few things on this front
2. Buy less new stuff, I will source more things from buy nothing groups or second hand shops.
3. Eat less meat
4. Drive less
6. When choosing between products select the product that is kindest to the environment or better in terms of animal welfare terms.  If that product comes from somewhere other than Australia, well sorry Aussie farmers but you miss out.
7. Increase my Greens membership and join Extinction Revolution, I will look into joining a few other community activists groups even if I can only participate by donating money
8 Start picking up rubbish on the way to and from school pickups.  If I get all snarky I might start returning it to the source shops or manufacturers.
Can I ask what was stopping you from doing all these things before the election? Would you still have pledged to do them if there had been an ALP victory?

#11 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 20 May 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

Great idea.

For me:
- reduce waste. this is the biggie, something I should already be doing but I find I'll do things and they end up being misguided i.e. I ordered the 5kg tub of washing powder thinking that's going to be better but is a 5kg plastic bucket actually better than buying 5 1kg cardboard boxes of washing powder? Probably not. Did I think about that before odering it online? No.

- I don't buy a lot but I try to buy ethically, I need to increase this.

I'm not sure if this is the thread to do it but I need help and I don't know where to start so give up.
We used to use the plastic bucket as a plastic bucket.
Great for chuck buckets.
Clean and use as storage for small toys, pencils, craft stuff or LEGO.
Cleaned and aired out they can be used for dog biscuits.
Car was bucket.

The list is huge and saves you buying buckets or containers if needed.

#12 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

Today I signed up to be a Greens member. I will be getting reusable produce bags to go with our green shopping bags, and a stainless steel water bottle. I am also trying to eat vegetarian meals more often.

#13 Sweet.Pea

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

View PostWTF*A*Lot, on 20 May 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

We used to use the plastic bucket as a plastic bucket.
Great for chuck buckets.
Clean and use as storage for small toys, pencils, craft stuff or LEGO.
Cleaned and aired out they can be used for dog biscuits.
Car was bucket.

The list is huge and saves you buying buckets or containers if needed.

You can take the bucket to a BYO container shop and refill it. Or make your own and store it in there.

#14 Chchgirl

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

Nothing really, I fly out 16th August, been booked for a while..

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

View PostAcidulous Osprey, on 20 May 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

Yeah, it's a bit unfair to single out all of us in Qld.  God knows the leftleaning of us are hurting just as much as the rest of Australia.

especially as it was only 2 electorates that actually changed & we only make up 30 seats in parliament. What about the rest of the nation?

#16 Kallie88

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

I'm considering joining the greens.

#17 Avocado tree

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

View PostAliasMater, on 20 May 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

Queenslander here born and bred, and I support your boycot pp. The hicks up here in the north have brought the country to it's knees, so feel free to hit us where it hurts. We got the government we deserve.

I'm boycotting farmers where I can. For the first time ever will start buying cheap milk, and will participate in the global economy by importing more.

Yep, I agree, Labor voting QLD’er here.  Anyone feel free to boycott up north if you want.  Once climate change makes living and farming there unbearable, and tourism tanks due to the death of the Reef, I am sure they will ask for our’s,  and the government’s help.

I am buying generic brand milk as well.

I am thinking of joining the Labor party also.

Edited by Avocado tree, 20 May 2019 - 05:35 PM.

#18 JBH

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

Tomorrow I am calling ALP headquarters to find out when and where my local meetings are. Planning to become a financial member.

#19 TrixieBelden

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:37 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 20 May 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

People could always sign up and actually get involved in politics themselves?

The OP states she is a member of the Greens.  Which party did you join Seayork?

I joined a party last year and now I’ll get more involved in meetings and committees. It’s hard with work and family and so on. But I think change will come from ordinary Australians stepping up.

I won’t be seeking to punish farmers. I don’t think $1 litre milk is a fair price, and I’m not interested in becoming less fair to other members of my community. I’m also conscious of the air miles concept and think it’s essential that we grow our own food in Australia.

#20 esme weatherwax

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

I will continue much the same as before hoping for the best.

I will travel to Qld, see the reef again and spend money with the people and organisations doing their best to protect what we will have left.

I will actively oppose Adani but I will do so in the awareness that my job security, the food on my table and roof over my head don't depend on mining. And I wont join the bitterness and the name calling of people who may have voted to protect their livelihoods.

I'm sick of the bitterness and finger pointing from both sides, it's ugly.

#21 purplekitty

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

Anyone who has influence with the Greens perhaps they could suggest that the Bob Brown Adani Caravan almost certainly shot Labor and the Greens in the foot in Qld. and the damage will continue.

Attached Files

• Attached File  anna.jpg   221.39K   118 downloads

#22 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

I'm in WA, which is pretty much as conservative (and backward, IMO) as QLD.    Not sure about this election, but we had the highest Hanson support here at the last election.  People in WA also don't realise how little the rest of Australia think about them.  

I find it shameful, but it is probably also why I am so exhausted and disillusioned this time around.  I do feel a bit responsible, and try and talk to people persuasively whenever I can.  I'm just realising now that it's a totally losing battle.

Must be something to do with the opposition to Daylight Saving, I reckon.

I'm happy for people to boycott WA too - the only thing that these people understand, as proven by their voting habits, is their own hip pocket.  

Sorry Qld - you have to wear it.  Just as us lefties in WA have to as well.

#23 Melbs2010

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:17 PM

If it's any consolation left leaning Queenslanders I got to overhear a long conversation at the football yesterday between some jerk Victorians who voted Liberal because of the non-existent "death tax" Labor was supposedly to introduce.  One even talked about how "all this environment BS.  It's total crap."  Based on the rest of the convo they weren't  exactly on struggle street.  It was hard to contain my rage.  There's fewer in Vic perhaps but they definitely exist.

The election result has motivated me to become more involved in volunteering in the community.  I need to research it and time will be limited but trying to do something to help people who are struggling.  In a practical way as I can't do much donation wise.  It's from the thinking that the federal government won't give a rats about helping those less fortunate but if the community does what it can maybe it can offset it in a small way.

I think I'm too disillusioned to want to join a political party.

Efc

Edited by LDG, 20 May 2019 - 06:41 PM.

#24 *Spikey*

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

When the LNP got in six years ago, I realised I needed to change jobs in order to ensure I could continue to provide for the financial and health needs of my family.

Which is exactly what I did.

I am not interested in joining a political party, but I will continue to encourage critical thinking in my students, so they can see that they are being directly ripped off and become active in challenging our current crop of politicians.

I am also shaking my head that the LNP are suggesting that the next USA Ambassador should be Tony Abbott rather than Julie Bishop.

Clearly, they need a war to shore up their mining industry and finance industry donors.

#25 BadCat

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:32 PM

Not sure.

I cried this morning.  Does that count?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.