Oldest thing you’ve found in your fridge...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

I’ve just found a chilli plum sauce that says it expires in 2008. I smelled it and it still smells fine, but I’m sure one of you will tell me to chuck it. Dh certainly would.

Make me feel better.

#2 Let-it-go

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

I’m a shocker.  We had a big blackout nearly 2yrs ago in 35deg heat that went for over 12hrs so I had to chuck everything in the fridge.  I found a chutney that was expired in about 2008 or 2009.  The worst bit was we had moved house in 2010 and 2012 so it survived 2 house moves without chucking.

#3 too tired to care

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

It is 11 years out of date, I would chuck it.

ETA: remember to check all medications too. Out of date medications can make you seriously ill.

I go through every thing every year and chuck anything out of date and anything that has best before date of 6 months ago.

Edited by too tired to care, 21 May 2019 - 02:23 PM.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Haha! Moving house is great for keeping on top of old food! In theory we shouldn’t have anything older than 2015... looks like our most out of date item is some tahini, use by date Nov 2018, and god knows how long it’s been open for. I’ll toss it.

Chuck the plum sauce by the way. Gross, lol.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

This does not count but there is a spice/pepper container (John Bull? brand) that was transferred from my mums kitchen into all of mine that looks like it is from the 1940's (no exaggeration) I think my grandmother owned it but it is this thing that just gets transferred each time we move.

We have a small fridge/freezer (was given to us free we when moved back to Australia) so we don't have the room to keep anything we don't want

Cupboards are a way different thing

DH went through the entire place last last year as said when I got home 'don't ask!' I think he stopped telling me at 4 years old (we moved in to this place 2 ish years ago and had a clear out in the last place)

#6 molinero

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

Not fridge, but when DH and I finally bought our first place and moved out of the cockroach infested ****hole we'd been living in for about 6 years, I went to empty out the linen cupboard and a stack of partially decomposed plastic shopping bags rained down on me like gameshow-winner's confetti.

All in gross little plastic flakes, like the tiny dots of paper you get from a hole puncher.

All the colours of the rainbow were there.

#7 (feral)epg

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

I'm sure that my fridge and cupboards have black holes in them.  I REGULARLY find stuff that must have belonged to DP before we even met (10 years ago) despite moving twice, regularly cleaning out the fridge and him not having done any grocery shopping since the arrival of our first child.

#8 MooGuru

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

DH had a packet of panadeine fort belonging to his ex which expired in 2003 that I chucked out last year. He moved approximately 10 times in that period.
I've cleaned out the medications thing multiple times but either never noticed it or he was carrying it around in a bag and chucked it in there when he bought a new one.

#9 Renovators delight

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

I had a large vanilla icrecream in the bottom of the fridge/freezer (we usually use the chest freezer) that I emptied the other day. It expired January 2017.

#10 amdirel

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

Not in my fridge, but this year I found a packet of panadeine in a first aid kit in a scout hall, that expired in 1989....

#11 seayork2002

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

View Postamdirel, on 21 May 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

Not in my fridge, but this year I found a packet of panadeine in a first aid kit in a scout hall, that expired in 1989....

Yeah I found this in our work first aid kit, there was also 10 year (or more) out of date dettol

#12 kimasa

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

We've had this jar of espresso martini mix in our fridge for 6 years.

We've moved house twice in that time, and have never removed it from the fridge, yet it has survived.

For the record, it tastes crap.

#13 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

Helping my mil clean out her fridge (their fridge died) we found over the back behind the crisper a part block of copha with a best before date of 2002.  

We worked out that she had moved it twice since then between fridges,

#14 boysescakes

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

Out of date medicine doesn’t make you sick, it’s just less effective. I’ve chucked out some old medicines in the past. I guess it’s just not really a place you look until you need something.

#15 Drat

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

Does my husband rummaging around inside count?

#16 seayork2002

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

View PostDrat, on 21 May 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

It depends on what he is rummaging around to find?

#17 BadCat

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

I have two frozen oranges in my freezer.  I'm not certain, but I have a feeling I was going to give them to the kids to try once when they were in primary school.  The kids are now 20 and 18.

The good news is that the oranges don't have use by dates on them, so I'm sure they're still good.

#18 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

DD was helping a teacher and some other kids clean out a storage room. They found a first aid kit with eye drops from over 23yrs ago.

#19 kimasa

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

Not a fridge, but my Nanna has a big tin of salt packets she has taken from places.

She has Air Malta ones. The last time she flew Air Malta was in 1996.

Despite having a giant tin of salt packets, she still buys salt, and only uses the one she buys.

#20 AprilEthereal

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

Not my fridge but the pantry. I found half a bottle of astral tea which I bought in Hobart in 2012.  A jar of home made (not by me)  never opened tomato relish which says it's best before October 2013. I still haven't opened it. Perhaps I will for the sake of science.
A jar of apples from my boys' primary school Use by Sep 2012 never opened.  Again, I'm thinking of science.

Oh, and I have a tomato ketchup sachet from our first Canadian holiday. I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons.

ETA our first Canadian holiday was late 2009 early 2010.

Edited by AprilEthereal, 21 May 2019 - 08:29 PM.

#21 Riotproof

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:09 PM

View Postkimasa, on 21 May 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

Not a fridge, but my Nanna has a big tin of salt packets she has taken from places.

She has Air Malta ones. The last time she flew Air Malta was in 1996.

Despite having a giant tin of salt packets, she still buys salt, and only uses the one she buys.

It’s a bit like a salt passport.

#22 #YKG

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

Just a reminder all old or expired medication should be taken to a pharmacist to dispose of, don’t flush them or just chuck them in the bin.

#23 Chelli

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

I cleaned out my pantry a few months ago and found a spice in there that was older than two of my kids. :lol: It expired in 2002.

#24 Riotproof

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:44 PM

Chelli, I think you win!

#25 Chelli

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:44 PM

View PostDrat, on 21 May 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.