Playford Primary & Craigmore High

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Winging it Mum

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

Any feedback on what these two schools are like?

Thanks for any info, much appreciated.

#2 amaza

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:31 PM

I don't have personal experience but I have heard that Playford Primary is ok for the area.

Craigmore high does not have a good reputation but I'm in my mid 30s and it didn'thave a good reputation back when I was in school either. The reality may be quite different. It may be worth going to check it out in person.

#3 Winging it Mum

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

Thanks Amaza. We've spoken to a couple of the staff there, just after some personal experiences.

There's not a huge choice when it comes to zoning. DS has some special needs so I'm hoping going public may help with that or at least there is more understanding/empathy than has been our experience privately.

Totally get you about the reputation, but I also went to a HS many moons ago that had a crap rep and really it was fine.

#4 amaza

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Blakeview primary has a special education unit. I think it would depend on the needs of your son as to whether you would be eligible for him to attend there but it may be worth giving them a call too?

Zoning is tough, are the high schools zoned too? Playford international may be an option to look into. I don't know what that school is like though.

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:15 PM

Access to special education places is decided by a panel during Term 3 for the following school year.

FWIW OP, Playford Primary is a good school as far as what I have heard. My understanding about Craigmore High from families with special needs students (in the mainstream) is that it has been a good fit for them.

#6 Winging it Mum

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Expelli. That's good to hear.

He's going to be special needs in a mainstream class so we'll see what happens.

We had a rush at the end of last term putting in all the paperwork to be considered for a DU or special class next year. The panel have had an initial meeting & I have been told that he ranks quite low, so unlikely he'd be offered a place. It's what we thought.

I had doubts about Craigmore High but I was impressed with the people we met there & they did seem to understand & certainly sounded like they had a number of students in mainstream with various disabilities.

I'm hopeful that he will find a place where he is accepted rather than standing out because he's different to most of the students at his current school. Plus of course to get whatever he can out of an education to whatever level he's capable of. That's the aim anyway. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.