School threats.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

If threats were made against students in your child’s year at school.
Would you expect the school to notify parents about the threats, especially considering the police were notified?

Would you send your child to school knowing about the threats, yet not having heard how the school will deal with them?

I would have rung the school this afternoon, but my child got picked up and didn’t get home until after the school was shut.

#2 JustBeige

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

I think it depends on the nature of the threat, the age of the student and whether my child was targeted personally.

I dont think I would expect an instant notification from the school.  If there was a bomb threat and they all evacuated and the police gave them an all-clear, I would expect a facebook notification / big group email - either later that night or next day.

If the threat was directed personally - ie: another child was threatening other children with scissors etc.  I would be expected to be briefed as soon as they could.

In both of these scenarios I would be sending my child to school the next day.

If the threat was to my child directly and it was physical, then hell yes, I should have been told and I would be considering the threat and the schools response on whether I send them or not.

Sorry, I know you want to keep it vague so you arent identifying, but there are too many variables to give a simple black and white answer :)

I do hope that you and your family are OK though.

#3 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

Some of the kids are scared because they have named a few students but said there are others. Knives and stabbing have been threatened, and locked doors. The kids are sending each other copies of the messages they have seen. As soon as one of them showed DD she grabbed him and was straight up to the office. DD is a little wary, but not too scared to go.

#4 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:56 PM

Primary or high school, WTF*A*Lot?

#5 José

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:04 PM

so your child wasn't threatened and wasnt the one making the threats?

#6 purplekitty

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:10 PM

I would expect to be notified by at least tomorrow.

Threats of violence against a number of students with police involvement presents a need for parents to know.
You need to be told about the threat assessment even if the answer is they don't believe there is one.

The children know,parents need correct information to speak to them about it.

Is it secondary school OP?

#7 Nobodyelse

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

Threats of grievous bodily harm to the student body in general, yes. I'd expect some sort of 'this happened and this is how we're dealing with it' message. But not necessarily on the same day as it happened.

Threats from one specific student to another specific student, no. I wouldn't expect to be notified.

#8 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

They are high school kids. My child doesn’t know if she was threatened as no one was able to screenshot the full list before it was deleted. They are just able to identify the kids who have allegedly done or said things.

#9 JustBeige

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

View PostWTF*A*Lot, on 21 May 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

They are high school kids. My child doesn’t know if she was threatened as no one was able to screenshot the full list before it was deleted. They are just able to identify the kids who have allegedly done or said things.
Ah, OK. threats over social media are also different.

I would probably send them back, But I would be telling the school ASAP and follow up with a letter.

Unfortunately without the screen shots all you can do is warn the school and give names if you know them.

I hope all went well today and the kids that are doing the threatening are getting the help they need

#10 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

Update:- Well she went to school after a minor upset becauseshe couldn’t find her phone(can normally go a week or more without it). Apparently they were just given a lecture about how innapropriate it was to do things like this, and that the police were checking emails and IP’s to see who did it.
She was sick yesterday morning and only went for half a day, because the kids just keep speculating on who it could be etc.
She went to school today because she had to tell someone(can’t remember who) about the frog we found inside in the pot plant, and they have newcomb ball and she loves it.
So hopefully next week will be better.

#11 purplekitty

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

Did the school contact you,OP?

I'd be very unhappy if they didn't.

#12 Prancer is coming

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

I have little expectations from communication from the school as what I would expect is generally different to what they do!  Basically if it does not involve my child, I do it expect to hear from them.  I don’t think there is often thought given to how it impacts on the other children, especially if they witnessed or were involved on the outskirts of the incident.

#13 Loore

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

So they don't know who sent the original messages?

Edited by Loore, 24 May 2019 - 03:50 PM.

#14 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

They never contacted any of the parents, and they still haven’t found the person.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.