Invisalign Experiences

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 VVV

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

I’ve been thinking about getting Invisalign. My bite is very narrow which results in only a few teeth at the front being visible. I would like to widen my smile and correct some minor crookedness.

Just wondering if anyone can share Invisalign experiences - good or bad? Was it worth it to you? Would you do it again. And also, was the cost just crazy expensive (I fear that it is.)

#2 Magnolia2

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

No idea about cost etc, but a close friend of mine used Invisalign (as an adult) and the results to an observer are fantastic. (Compare that to me - braces with all the bells and whistles in my early teens, 6 years of wearing a permanent plate until my late years - and the minute it was taken off... teeth started moving again. The orthodontist made me two removable plates during my twenties and it did nothing to stop the moving. I've now got crooked teeth again, although not as bad as in my youth).

From what I can recall from my friend, the first few weeks were tough (lots of discreet removing of the Invisaligns while eating, excessive saliva, etc) but it certainly wasn't as visually noticeable as say, 'old school' metal braces.

#3 #YKG

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

The quote I got for Invisalign was on par with traditional braces. They have payment plans (my orthodontist does anyway) and you change out trays every 6 weeks.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:57 PM

I did my top teeth. I had braces as a teen, but my teeth became horridly out of alignment once again as I aged. One tooth in particular stood out (amplified by my front teeth now sloping in).

I had 8 different plates to move my top teeth over 16wks. It cost about $3.2k.

Probably hardest part was early on learning how to insert and remove, but once I had that it was easy.

I am hoping once my house is complete and finamces settle, to do braces or Invisalign on my bottom teeth too in the future.

Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 21 May 2019 - 08:59 PM.

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

DH had them to correct an open bite and some crowding. Can’t remember exactly how much it was, but it was about the same as braces. He didnt have invisalign but another brand which was a bit cheaper. A few thousand though. He had them for 18 months or so (longer then they quoted originally) and now has a night-only retainer to maintain it.
It’s a bit of fuss when you’re using it, but you get used to it and it’s not forever. His teeth are so much better now, hisnonly regret is that he didn’t do it sooner.

Pros are that no one at his workplace really noticed them so he could still do presentations and things without feeling self conscious. They worked well for his issues. You get three months at once so that spreads appointments apart. You can bleach your teeth as well while they’re on for an extra bright smile.

Cons are that it’s a bit slower than braces, and the maintenance (brushing after every meal or snack) is a bit of a pain in the bum, especially during a work day. And It’s expensive.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 21 May 2019 - 09:15 PM.

#6 can'tstayaway

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:18 PM

My DS has them. He’s program is for close to 2 years because he has a stubborn tooth in the wrong place. He has to change them every 10 days. I don’t remember the cost but our PHI covered a fair whack.

My DH has recently got a quote. An approx 6 month treatment plan was going to be about $6k before any rebates.

That covers everything including all follow up appointments. Our ortho has payment plans and a discount for cash upfront payment.

#7 Yetski

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

My 14 son has invisalign and his teeth look amazing and he's half way through his treatment and his teeth look amazing! It's a bit fussy with having to take them in and out can be a pain. The cost was identical to braces for us.

#8 Future-self

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

I did it- just finishing actually. My bottom teeth were crossing and invisalign did that easily enough. Widening my bite though - mainly top and a little on the bottom has been slow and is the hardest thing to ask invisalign to do apparently. So it can be done but it’s not quick.
My advice would be- get an experienced orthodontist to do it and go for the Invisalign package option that allows for unlimited refinements . It’s more expensive but allows for rescans of your teeth and a refinement of the plan as you go rather than one scan, all your clear braces made and then you just follow the one plan.  Teeth in real life rarely do what the computer says they will . Mine should have taken 18months all up according to the invisalign computer. My orthodontist was upfront and said no way, she said at least 2 years in her experience of what we wanted to do with a few tweaking months at the end. It will be 2.5 years when I finish next month.

Edited by Future-self, 21 May 2019 - 09:22 PM.

#9 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:28 PM

i did it for my top teeth....bottom teeth are a bit crooked but my orthodontist said invisalign couldn’t fix them. my smile doesn’t show my bottom teeth so it didn’t really bother me....was around $6,000 - took around 2 years ....i have to wear a retainer at night to ensure my teeth don’t move - and i’m a grinder.

i’m glad i did it - it’s an improvement. while you wear them it’s good for weight loss! you have to take them out every time you eat or drink anything except clear water - so you tend to think....why bother.

#10 smilinggirl

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

I had them in my 40s after having lots of orthodontic treatment in my teens. The results have been fantastic.

At the end of the recommended computer generated time though, my teeth were still crooked. At no cost I was rescanned, a new plan put in place and 14 more trays! Disappointing that it took extra time but I was pleased it didn’t cost extra.

I have to keep wearing trays every night or until I don’t care if they go crooked again. I can certainly notice that if I forget the trays one night that the next night it is painful to put in - my teeth shift very fast!

#11 BeachesBaby

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

I broke my jaw shortly after getting my braces off in my teens, and since they were only recently in braces, all of my teeth shifted. A few years ago I did Invisalign in the US which cost me about $2.5k out of pocket with insurance paying the same amount, so $5k total cost. I have a friend who’s doing it in Sydney and paying around $10k, but has a more extreme case than I had.
For me it was the best thing I’ve done. I had a very open bite, and it changed my ability to eat and chew effectively, as well as creating a more aesthetically pleasing smile. If I had to pay $10k for it and had the funds, I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Attached Files

#12 avocado toast

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:10 PM

Yep! I had Invisalign lite. I had braces as a teen but my teeth had moved. Cost about $5k

Love my straight teeth but I have to wear a retainer every night to ensure they don’t move again

#13 Ayr

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

I had invisalign and it was a full case that went for a year (26 trays) it cost me $6500 a year ago. Definitely worth it and would do it again after knowing what it was like. Regret not doing it sooner.
I didn't love the aligners, I got a fixed retainer after it which is the best choice for me, no more aligners and I don't even notice them there.

Make sure you get some form of retainer or they will just move again.

#14 CaSPer79

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

:yes: I am nearly at the end of my treatment. 2 more weeks to go. I have Invisalign lite (14 trays) and then refinements (13 trays) and will wear retainers for 6 months full time then to night time only. Just under a year of treatment.
I got them to close the gap in my two front teeth. Straightened a tooth on the bottom too but wasn't really fussed about that.
First few trays where a little painful but you get used to them and next thing you know your flying through.

Usual story of had braces as teen, didn't get told to wear retainer for the rest of my life at nights so probably stopped wearing it at nights around 18yrs old.

I paid around $5000 with insurance covering some.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.