My dog bit someone

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 kadoodle

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

DD1 and her bestie wanted to go for a training run last night (they both play hockey together), and I insisted that since they were in town in a not well lit area that the dog went with them. A man grabbed my DD1 by the hair while she was waiting outside the public toilets for her friend, and the dog (who was off her leash having a sniff and drink while they waited) lunged on the man and took a chunk out of his arm.

An older lady out walking her dog called the police, and the girls are ok - but shaken - and I don’t know about the man except he went with the police.

How do I support my girl after going through this? Will my dog be taken and euthanised?

#2 esme weatherwax

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

I don't think any council or ranger in the country would push to punish a dog in that situation! I really hope your daughter is ok. And that dog should be getting a medal - not into trouble!

#3 lucky 2

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

Yikes, how frightening!
Did this happen last night.
I'd be talking with the police about the dog and the perpetrator of the attack, it sounds like the dog acted appropriately given the threat, I would hope the dog is not punished except for perhap not being off leash or whatever is deemed sensible.

As for your girls, I'm sure you will be a good support, plus the police and perhaps school. I'm presuming the girls are teenagers?

#4 TheGreenSheep

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

Firstly I am so sorry this has happened. How horrific and traumatic for your DD and friend.

I would expect that the order to euthanize would be taken if it were referred to the local council ranger in your area. Did the police give you any indication that may be likely?

Sounds to me like your do did exactly what he was there to do. Protect your DD.

It may be worth asking if she would like to see someone to speak about the trauma. Id also think about letting her teacher know (if she is at school).

#5 esme weatherwax

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:52 PM

Send a photo of your dog and the story to your local newspaper/media. If, on the off chance anyone does seek to have the local hero dog punished, you will hae the media/social media on your side.

#6 Gonzy

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

Oh my goodness, your poor DD, how unbelievably frightening!

Your dog deserves a medal for doing EXACTLY what we would all hope our own dogs would do were one of their owners (our children) under threat.

Do the public toilets have CCTV perhaps?  If so, I would be lodging a complaint with the police absolutely (either way actually), and if CCTV is available surely that would reflect the understandable actions of your dog.

Your poor daughter, how frightening for her, her friend and you :(

#7 kadoodle

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

The police and the ranger both say that they can’t tell me anything at this stage. I spoke to DD1’s year level coordinator this morning, so she knows the girls might be a bit off their studies today. Mama the dog is acting like she’s wonderwoman.

#8 MoonPie

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

Please give that dog a big juicy bone and a pat from me.

#9 DaLittleEd

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

What an amazing dog. I hope there are no repercussions.

#10 #YKG

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

I can’t see how they would move to euthanise considering the dog was protecting its human. If there was no aggression toward your DD, might be different, but considering she was assaulted by a random, he deserves to get bit.

#11 Caribou

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

The guy attacks your DD, dog bites him, goes to the police? Is he stupid or something?

FWIW, the dog was protecting your DD and I hope he gets the book thrown at him. I hope your dog will be protected. I’m sorry you’re in this predicament.

Edited by Caribou, 22 May 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#12 Sentient Puddle

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:41 PM

Have they taken a statement from your DD and her friend?  If not why not?  I would be following up with the Police over the assault as that is what it was.

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

That’s horrible!  Hope your daughter is OK, glad the dog was there to protect her.

But, prepare for the worst. My friend nearly had her dog destroyed for bothering the sheep next door. The neighbour just wanted a better fence built and vet bills paid. The dog wasn’t trying to eat the sheep, just playing with them, no people were harmed, sheep were fine. But the law wasn’t on her side, she had to go to court, pay fines, pay the vet bill, dog only wasn’t destroyed because the prosecutor actually ended up arguing on her side cause the whole thing was ridiculous and my friend was in tears in the court room.
Unfortunately your dog bit a human. It may not come down to common sense, but the laws that are in place in your area.

Wishing you luck though, hopefully someone else has some evidence you can use too, that would help.

#14 **Xena**

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

Defences Allowed by the Animal Companion Act include if the dog was defending someone from attack. I find it extremely unlikely that your dog will be in any trouble.

#15 Charli73

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Unlikely as it was not an unprovoked attack. Give the dog a bone and a pat from me too.

Hope your daughter is ok.

#16 (feral)epg

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Someone grabbed your daughter by the hair???

Wowsers.  The dog bite is not the issue here and surely the council will recognise this.

#17 SelceLisbeth

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

How frightening. I am glad your dd is ok and I doubt the dog will be in jeopardy. The only issue may if the dog was off lead and uncontrolled in an area that specifically states dogs are banned or should be on a lead.

#18 JRA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

God I hope common sense prevails. Surely he is the one who should be charged with assault etc. Not your dog.

If things get out of hand, I am normally the last to say go to the press, But yes, go to the press

But, prepare for the worst. My friend nearly had her dog destroyed for bothering the sheep next door. The neighbour just wanted a better fence built and vet bills paid. The dog wasn’t trying to eat the sheep, just playing with them, no people were harmed, sheep were fine. But the law wasn’t on her side, she had to go to court, pay fines, pay the vet bill, dog only wasn’t destroyed because the prosecutor actually ended up arguing on her side cause the whole thing was ridiculous and my friend was in tears in the court room.

Completely different scenario and completely irrelevant to Kadoodle's case.

#19 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

How awful, your poor DD. Mama dog IS Wonderwoman! Good on her!

I agree with the PP seeing if she'd like to talk to someone about the trauma.

Re the dog I guess I'd keep a low profile. I'm sure anybody hearing the story would think the dog deserves a medal, so if there are laws that apply they would hopefully lean towards letting things be unless pushed.

If they DO start going down that route then maybe you could try the media option, but not before that. The last thing you need is someone taking it on as a crusade about dangerous dogs, I'd say the less attention on it the better until there's an actual problem to be deal with. It lets people strategically ignore the issue if they are so disposed.

#20 steppy

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

I suspect you'll get an off leash fine but I doubt the dog would be euthanised if that is how it happened.

#21 Holidayromp

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

Good job dog!!!

#22 rainycat

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

So a man attacked your daughter, her dog came to her rescue and stopped him, and now your dog may be in trouble??
Far out, I agree with everyone else, your dog deserves a medal, a bone and heaps of pats.
What could of happened if your dog didn’t stop him and why should the focus be on your dog rather than the effwit who grabbed her hair.
How can he justify what he did, that must of been terrifying for your dd. I’m so glad your dog was with her.

Edited to add that I need to learn how to read posts. A lady called the police not the loser.
I wonder if the police can point you in the direction of someone to talk to, If she needs and wants to.

Edited by rainycat, 22 May 2019 - 03:09 PM.

#23 sahmie

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

View PostCaribou, on 22 May 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

The guy attacks your DD, dog bites him, goes to the police? Is he stupid or something?.

He didn’t call the police - a witness did. The OP says he went with the police. That could mean they took him in for his role in it, not for him to make a report against the dog.

#24 EsmeLennox

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, this needs to be re-framed as 'My dog protected my daughter'.

#25 jojonbeanie

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:23 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 22 May 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

DD1 and her bestie wanted to go for a training run last night (they both play hockey together), and I insisted that since they were in town in a not well lit area that the dog went with them.
So it was expected that the dog would attack a person in these circumstances? You sent him out with the girls for that reason? Some people might be unsupportive of that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.