Good high schools on NSW North coast/hinterland?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dianet

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

Hello, we are planning a move to the North coast/hinterland area of NSW but have not decided on exact area/location yet. Does anyone have recommendations/experience with good high schools in the area?  It may help us pinpoint a location to live in.

Alternatively any advice simply on a good area to live in would be good too.  I was going to make a seperate post on this topic too.

#2 TheGreenSheep

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

Hi OP,

that's a large area of real estate your looking at. Many different councils and schools. Is there anywhere specific you feel a connection too? Looked for somewhere to live? Do you need to be close to work or airports, major roads, family for support? Budget you have in mind?

#3 dianet

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

Hi, yes, it is a big area, that's the problem for us!  We have had a couple holidays up there to look around but haven't been able to get an idea exactly where to move to; it's hard to get a sense of the community when you are just passing through.

We have looked at Bangalow, Tallebudgera, Uki, around Byron Bay but not in it, Tweed Heads area (is that the same as Tweed River?), Fingal Heads, Murwillimbah.    We love the environment around Bangalow and Byron.  It would be nice to find an area where we can live amongst a bit of greenery!

We don't need to be close to any work at the moment, but hopefully some work can be found (or made) in the area we move to.  We don't want to be too isolated as we have an only child.  Decent schooling is important. We will be renting.  Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated!

#4 limakilo

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Cost wise, those areas differ quite a bit, have you looked at real estate?
That would help in recommending schools.
I have lived from one area to the other of what you mentioned, and have friends with kids in school all over the northern rivers.

#5 MsNorbury

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

I know everyone loves Byron, but I would consider you have a look around Alstonville. Beautiful greenery and places to live, very close to the beach and a range of schooling options.

I grew up in the area and it is a great place to be a kid. I don't have much up to date information on schools though.

#6 dianet

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:41 PM

Hello, limakilo, we will be renting for a while, and would prefer to stay under $600/week.  If you have any general comments about areas you know I would be very interested to hear them.  I am looking for ideas on places to research.

MsNorbury, I agree, Byron is lovely, but too expensive amongst other things; many thanks for the recommendation of Alstonville.  I will take a look at it!

#7 limakilo

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

I would start on realestate.com and get an idea of rentals in the areas that you are looking at.
The other thing to keep in mind is if you are close to the border, QLD does not have day light savings, and it can be a pain if you live on one side and go to school or work on the other.
I have really good friends living in Ballina at the moment, and they love it.
Private or public school?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.