"No show fee" at OOSH

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 nom_de_plume

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

We are charged the regular fee if we do not cancel with 7 days notice. For 2 or more consecutive days absence with a medical certificate they reduce the fees by 50% for each day missed.

#27 wanting3

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

Our centre has an ipad in the room and we have to sign our kids in to each session and out of session. Why would anyone be running around trying to find a missing kid? They are either signed in or not there.
Our OOSH charge us for the session we have booked in for, eg, even if they dont attend (very rarely) we still get charged, and I try to give as much notice as possible. I don't think we have many 'casual' spots though, they are usually pretty full, but not so much that they are worried about attendance.

#28 Future-self

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

View Postwanting3, on 23 May 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

Our centre has an ipad in the room and we have to sign our kids in to each session and out of session. Why would anyone be running around trying to find a missing kid? They are either signed in or not there.

In the afternoons you don’t sign them in - if Little Billy Bob from Grade 1 is booked in and doesn’t turn up to OSHC after school and no one has notified them to cancel him then yes, carers definitely go looking for them!

#29 laridae

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

Our OSCH walks the younger kids over (it's across the road) but the older ones need to make their own way. The carers sign everyone in as they get there. If someone is missing they definitely have to find out why!

Edited by laridae, 23 May 2019 - 05:43 PM.

#30 WaitForMe

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

View Postlaridae, on 23 May 2019 - 07:40 AM, said:

Why would if be a small percentage? And even if it's not for being sick, why does that matter. Some parents may not need care on a particular day yet still need a regular booking for the days that they will need it - or risk not being about to get a spot. Fair enough if you just don't turn up then a fee may be justified,  but if you let them know and they have an opportunity to rebook the spot then an extra fee is just plain unfair.

You do realise that the subsidy is only paid on the first 42 absences anyway, after that they would be paying full fees. And the subsidy if they get it will be paid whether the care charge an extra fee or not. So yes, you are paying for a session.

Yes I do realise.

I think the OP has already stated the OOSHC isn't full, which was my condition, but I still feel a bit sad at the lack of consideration for others. "You do realise" many OOSHC's are full. Put yourself in the shoes of those who can't access it.

#31 laridae

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:14 AM

View PostWaitForMe, on 23 May 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

Yes I do realise.

I think the OP has already stated the OOSHC isn't full, which was my condition, but I still feel a bit sad at the lack of consideration for others. "You do realise" many OOSHC's are full. Put yourself in the shoes of those who can't access it.

Not the fault of parents that need to use it regularly however may miss a day here or there or have a changing schedule though. They are allowed to book in and pay and not use it if they wish. Lack of spaces is the issue there.

Though if you think about it, isn't charging a fee whether you call to let them know or not going to make it more likely that people don't call? If your are going to get fined whether you do or don't, then why bother?
If they want people to call aren't they better off giving a discount if they do? Perhaps based on how much notice, eg none, no discount, call in the morning for the afternoon session and someone else needs care that afternoon - 75% discount.
I personally wouldn't know if they are full or not generally. Ours has never been full (when I've asked previously), until this year when the are full on a Wednesday afternoon. I only found out that as the teachers went on strike for the afternoon and they put out a notice that they would be opening earlier due to but couldn't take any extras as they were full. They are never full during school holidays, which is the only time I go in, as mine only use afterschool care usually and DH picks them up not me.

#32 hills mum bec

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

View Postwanting3, on 23 May 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

Our OOSH charge us for the session we have booked in for, eg, even if they dont attend (very rarely) we still get charged, and I try to give as much notice as possible. I don't think we have many 'casual' spots though, they are usually pretty full, but not so much that they are worried about attendance.

How on earth do you sign your child in to after school care?  They come directly from school and are signed in by the OSHC staff.  If a child doesn't show up then it is absolutely up to the OSHC staff to track that child down.

We have to pay the full OSHC fee if giving less than 24 hours notice, even in the case of illness, but I would not be happy paying any extra than that, especially if I had informed them of the absence and not just done a no show.  I must admit, there have been times when I have forgotten to inform OSHC in the mornings when DD has woken up sick and not attended but I would always remember for the afternoon sessions.

Our OSHC has recently implemented a $10 late booking fee which I'm not too impressed with.  OSHC isn't at capacity.  It would be a very rare occassion that they would have to call in an extra staff member because a late booking has pushed them into the next staffing ratio bracket.  I do realise that they want people to be more organised and not leave it to the last minute to book their kids in but I do feel that it penalises casual workers when in reality it is not costing the OSHC service any more money to take a late booking and I see a late booking as a bonus to them.  There are a few afternoons every week when one of my teenage kids or another parent will pick my DD up from school.  When one of my kids gets called into an extra shift at their part time job or the other parent has sick kids then I need to book DD into OSHC with late notice and $10 is a huge amount when the original cost is only $22.  It was even worse when DH used to work from home so he would drop DD off at school every morning but sometimes his boss would organise a late notice breakfast meeting and then I would have to book DD into BSC at a cost of $25 instead of the regular $15.

#33 seayork2002

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Ours does not have a extra fee but if DS does not go we still pay the normal amount

fair enough on this as we still pay rent when we go on holidays :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.