How old were your parents when they retired ? Will you be older ?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 JediMaster

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:30 PM

Feeling a bit flat, and in need of a holiday, combined with another birthday rolling  around .... makes me start thinking wistfully of retirement.
Will you be older than your parents when you retire?
My mother didn’t work after she had children. So it’s a big yes from me.

#2 auntycharlie

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

My father was made redundant at 55 and was never able to find full-time employment again, he worked part-time and casual jobs until he was 70 because he couldn't afford to retire.

My mother worked until she was 65, she had worked in blue collar casual jobs her whole life so had no super. Retirement meant going on the age pension.

I'll probably retire around 60-65, but I'm in the fortunate position of having a relatively cushy, well-paying job and will have excellent super. DH and I plan to do the grey nomad thing, both here and overseas.

Only 10-15 years to go! Just have to get those pesky kids through school and uni.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

I am not sure when DH and I will retire but will at least go PT as soon as we can (we are early 40's)

We may hold out till DS finishes school.

My dad is still working FT at nearly 70,

My works from home when she feels like it (that is a compliment!)

Dad has worked in the same job since the early 1960's

Mum worked more often and not when I was growing up.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

My dad initially retired at 53 (after getting a cancer diagnosis). He got bored and went back to work for another 7 years.

Mum was retrenched in her early 60s. She actually continued to do casual tutoring for another 5 years.

DHs work has compulsory retirement at 58. I am searching for work. Currently. Considering that I would not expect DH to be able to get another job as he approaches 60, I would suggest we will end up similar to my folks.

#5 Pearson

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 23 May 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

My dad initially retired at 53 (after getting a cancer diagnosis). He got bored and went back to work for another 7 years.

Mum was retrenched in her early 60s. She actually continued to do casual tutoring for another 5 years.

DHs work has compulsory retirement at 58. I am searching for work. Currently. Considering that I would not expect DH to be able to get another job as he approaches 60, I would suggest we will end up similar to my folks.

Why do they have compulsory retirement at 58? That's awfully early. Can't really access much at that age super-wise.

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:55 PM

Yep it is a bummer.

#7 susie78

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

Both my parents have recently retired - Dad at 67, Mum at 65. I’m am 41 and have no idea when I will retire, but can’t see it happening any time before 60.

#8 TheGreenSheep

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:00 PM

Mum retired at pension age 63.5. It feels like she’s been old and waiting to die since then. It certainly hasn’t done her any favors. Although her job was blue collar and very physically hard, ideally she should’ve kept in the workforce for her mobility and mental health.

Ill be closer to 65-70...70+

#9 surprisebaby

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

My dad was 58, mum only ever worked party plan etc. He finished school at age 14. Worked his way up to be state manager of a big aussie food company. And got a payout when they sold to a foreign company. Now 75 they have been enjoying life ever since. Savvy with money. they travel OS once a year and are also grey nomads. I am hoping to retire by 60, no 52, DH is only 44 though so will see what happens.

Edited by surprisebaby, 23 May 2019 - 05:02 PM.

#10 hills mum bec

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 23 May 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

Is that even legal?  

My Mum went on a disability pension when she was in her late 50's due to bad knees and mobility issues and never went back after that.  I have no idea about my dad as we are not in contact.  I'm sure I will be working until official retirement age, whatever that may be at the time.

#11 No Drama Please

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

Retired in their early 50s, mortgage free by their late 30s.

I am now in my late 40s, still renting, and realistically unlikely to ever retire.

It’s depressing but I take heart that am in good company though :lol:

#12 AllyK81

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

We will probably be able to retire at 55 but we won't.

I love working. I am an equity partner so I will probably wind back over time and go onto some boards etc to stay active and involved.

I expect to be doing this until I am about 70, health permitting.

DH father retired at 55 and he's had too much times on his hands for sure.

Edited to add my Mum never worked and my Dad is just turned 60 and will probably work for another 5 years.

Edited by AllyK81, 23 May 2019 - 05:05 PM.

#13 .Jerry.

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Mum finished work when she got married, as was done in the day.
She did "do the books" for dad's business after that and was the chief phone answerer and message taker etc.  

Dad was a plumber and worked until 60 or 65, not exactly sure.  He was well and truly ready to retire then from a physical job.  (They then went grey pomading for 10 years)

I will likely be between 60 and 65 when I retire.  I have defined benefit super, so that should be good. :)

#14 kimasa

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

My parents are 60 and 61 - both still working
My inlaws are 65 and 69 - both still working

I think DH will throw in the towel before me. He has the "job", I have the "career", he doesn't mind his, and I love mine. I can see myself staying on past retirement age.

Edited by kimasa, 23 May 2019 - 05:08 PM.

#15 KwaziiCat

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

My dad is just finishing up work stuff prior to retiring at almost 70.  My mum retired about 3 years ago at 65.  I am hoping I will be retired before 65 but I can't imagine my DP retiring until he is older (workaholic!)

Obviously my plans could change depending on finances and our mortgage situation at that time!

#16 wilding

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

Both at 65. My stepfather was a painter/decorator and mum did home care for many years after nursing and spend 5 months of the year over in Koh Samui and the rest in NZ.

Me? Depends on money and health.

#17 PrincessPeach

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

My mum resigned from full time work before i was born, but worked casually up until my dad had his work accident, so she wouldn't have been 42.

Dad was forced to retire after the company he worked for went under & no one would hire him, he was 60.

My in-laws are 74 & 68 and are still running their own business.

I'd say DH & I will be working longer than my parents did, but less than his, DH likes to be busy, so retirement is not exactly on his mind.

#18 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

My parents were both in the same profession. Dad retired at 55, and 22 years later he has lived retirement to the full. My mum, having been forced to retire when she married then given a full time position back two decades later when the injustice of that forced resignation was addressed, worked full time until she was about 65.

I hope that we can retire by 55. Highly unlikely though!

Edited by Tinkle Splashes, 23 May 2019 - 05:29 PM.

#19 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

View Posthills mum bec, on 23 May 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

Is that even legal?  

For OH&S reasons in some sectors, I believe it is. Eg defence force (although I think that’s 60).

Yes, I’ll be considerably older than my mother, who retired at 57 (which actually seems quite ludicrous to me...I can’t imagine wanting to retire at that age). Not sure about my father...I don’t know how old he was when he retired.

#20 AnythingGoes

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

My dad retired around 65 - after a bad accident but probably would have retired around then anyway.

My mum stopped working around 45 because working didn't align with her spiritual truth. Has since frittered away what money she did have and has aged well beyond her years.

I can't see myself retiring anytime soon - particularly if I need to stop my mum from becoming homeless.

#21 BelleJay

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:38 PM

Mine retired at 65 and 58 to travel around Australia for 12 months, which they did 5 years ago.  Mum now volunteers part time at a church cafe and they go on 3-6 month trips now.  

I cant see myself being able to do what they did.  They prepared for their retirement very well, which I am grateful for.

#22 JRA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:40 PM

interesting question.  Dad was a  farmer, so he never retired as such he just did less.  Mum never worked.

#23 luke's mummu

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

My dad retired at 50 due to poor mental health. My mum had been a housewife, but then returned to work part-time to supplement their income. They are both in their late 70’s now, and basically running out of money.

I hope to work full- time until I am 60, then part-time to 65

#24 Cimbom

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

My dad retired in his 50s and my mum only worked on and off for a short time so has been retired for a long time. I have no idea when/if I will retire to be honest but pretty certain it will later than my parents unless I win the lottery

#25 cardamom

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

Dad still works full-time at 60, in a very physical job. He works for himself though, so can be flexible with his hours - he tends to pop home for a lunchtime nap pretty regularly!

The job is taking a toll on him physically now but I also can't imagine him retiring - he's one of those types who boredom/too much free time won't work well for.

Mum has a disability and didn't work after marriage - that was the done thing for her peers. She volunteers one day a week and also looks after my niece 3 days a week, which keeps her pretty busy.

In this housing market - I've just turned 30 and am desperately trying to cobble together a deposit - I honestly can't imagine retiring. Not because I don't want to (though I'd still like to keep busy), but because I don't know if I'll be able to. It's a depressing thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.