WWYD Road rage

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 joeyinthesky

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:38 PM

On my way home from work tonight, with my 2yo in the car and on rural roads (so few houses) I experienced a scary level of road rage from a p-plater.  tailgating me within 1mt of my car, huge bright spotlights blinding me, speeding up and getting in front of me then slowing right down then gesturing our the window.

I was terrified, still shaking now nearly an hour later. I ended up calling 000 with his rego while it was happening and toward the end of the call he sped past me and disappeared.

The police were great and have tracked down his location, and told me he lives in the same (v small) township as I do. . They asked if I want to pursue a fine or charges. I don’t want him to do this to anyone else but I’m scared of the repercussions given that he could prob find out where I live easily.

The police are going to ring me back to see what I want to do. I don’t know what to tell them. If I don’t want to pursue fines/charges, they’ve said they’ll come and visit him and “give him a tongue lashing” but they can’t do anything else.

#2 blackcat20

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

I’d go for charges. If they do it again, the other driver may not be so lucky so avoid an accident... Such a terrifying thing for you to go through

Edited by blackcat20, 24 May 2019 - 08:12 PM.

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:00 PM

Charge him. He won’t dare do anything else to you.
He needs to be off the road

#4 Octopodes

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:09 PM

I'd have him charged.

#5 BECZ

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

Charge the b*st*rd!

#6 just roses

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

I’d have him charged too.

I understand why you’re hesitant, though.

What an awful scare xx

#7 Future-self

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

You poor thing.
I do understand your hesitation in charges - our instincts are to just want it to go away and not having to “do” anything else can make us feel a little like it never happened.
BUt it did - and you were lucky, kept your wits too but were mostly lucky. That could have so easily ended in tragedy. Please press charges and allow them to fine him. The next person may not be so fortunate. And also, that level of aggression and entitlement needs to be addressed to him and the same message to his mates - it’s not ok.

#8 purplekitty

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

Charge him but I understand your hesitation.

That level of aggression coupled with the inexperience of a P-Plater is very dangerous.
Anything could have happened and next time it might.

I hope you get over the shock and trauma quickly.
Just awful.

#9 limakilo

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

I understand how you feel, but have him charged.
He could have killed you, and if he doesn't get the proper discouragement, he could kill someone else or himself in the future.

#10 Nobodyelse

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

Charge him. He's a p-plater with limited experience and is statistically more likely to have a serious accident causing death (him or others) than any other demographic. Charge him and you could be saving his life.

#11 Mister Mum

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:06 PM

Charge him.  Only a coward behaves like that on the road.  I'll bet he won't feel so tough when the cops show up.

Especially if his mum is home :D

#12 joeyinthesky

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

Thanks everyone. I’ve told them I’ll give a statement.  The PO said that if anything further happens they can follow it up. We do have the advantage that we’re in the same street as our local police station, not always attended but some comfort.

He also said that the guy the vehicle is registered to is known to them (my description of him matches)  but they haven’t been able to charge him - so they’ll “happily follow it up”.

I don’t think I did anything to trigger it, I just looked in my rear vision mirror and he was right there, and it just got worse - one of the scariest 15 minutes I’ve ever had on the road, made worse because of having my little guy with me. I think it’ll take a couple of wines to settle my heart rate tonight!

#13 IamtheMumma

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

P plater doesn't mean inexperienced. It could be he's lost his licence for DUIs/traffic offences. He's known to the cops, he's got a history.

With this information, I'd charge him.

#14 ausfarmerswife

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

I wouldn’t charge him to be honest, in a small town everyone’s going to know, he’ll know.

The lights blinding you were more than likely not on purpose, a car sitting at a higher position will put lights in a different position on a smaller car. But the rest of the stuff sounds like he’s just being a knob.

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

I'd be pressing charges. The police are already aware of his behaviour by the sounds of things.

If he tracks you down, contact the police again, your local officers sound like the helpful type.

#16 Silver Girl

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:23 PM

You poor thing, OP. How dare he? It must have been extra scary knowing both you and your beautiful boy were in danger.

I agree he should be charged. I understand your fears though. Would it be worth putting in some security cameras at your house just in case? I’ve heard Arlo is a good brand.

#17 joeyinthesky

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:26 PM

View Postausfarmerswife, on 24 May 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

I wouldn’t charge him to be honest, in a small town everyone’s going to know, he’ll know.

The lights blinding you were more than likely not on purpose, a car sitting at a higher position will put lights in a different position on a smaller car. But the rest of the stuff sounds like he’s just being a knob.

No, not in this case. I know the difference between lights that are in the wrong position, and someone deliberately intimidating me with high beam spotlights. He would turn them off when there was an oncoming car, and back in again when the car had passed.   And it was an older Ute, not raised up - it was at a similar level to my car.

Plus, it was 430pm on a sunny day - not exactly a time when high beam, centre-mounted spotlights are required!

#18 joeyinthesky

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

View PostSilver Girl, on 24 May 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:

You poor thing, OP. How dare he? It must have been extra scary knowing both you and your beautiful boy were in danger.

I agree he should be charged. I understand your fears though. Would it be worth putting in some security cameras at your house just in case? I’ve heard Arlo is a good brand.

Might be an idea, thanks. I think we’ll def beef up some of the locks.

#19 purplekitty

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 24 May 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

P plater doesn't mean inexperienced. It could be he's lost his licence for DUIs/traffic offences. He's known to the cops, he's got a history.

Oh yes,the perennial offender.

#20 Nobodyelse

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 24 May 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Could be. Or he could be a new driver. Does it matter? Is it really something to debate semantics on? The point stands. He behaviour is known to be the leading cause of deaths on the road. Charge him and if he's a serial offender, he may have his car impounded or loose his licence and not kill some mother and young kid out on the road.

#21 ausfarmerswife

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

View Postjoeyinthesky, on 24 May 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

No, not in this case. I know the difference between lights that are in the wrong position, and someone deliberately intimidating me with high beam spotlights. He would turn them off when there was an oncoming car, and back in again when the car had passed.   And it was an older Ute, not raised up - it was at a similar level to my car.

Plus, it was 430pm on a sunny day - not exactly a time when high beam, centre-mounted spotlights are required!

sorry op he def sounds like a douche

#22 Lifesgood

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

I was terrified, still shaking now nearly an hour later.
He did this to you. Press charges against the MOFO.

#23 2bundles

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

This happened to me when I was pregnant. I didn’t get the rego. Still mad I didn’t call 000 and that was 17 years ago!  I would explain your concerns to the police.

#24 Caribou

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

I’d charge him. If he does it once. Hell do It again. If he’s charge it could prevent someone’s else’s death. He’s so lucky he didn’t kill you or your DS.

I get being scared, but he shouldn’t be able to get away with it. Giving a verbal warning by police means he knows he got away with it.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:59 AM

View Postjoeyinthesky, on 24 May 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

Thanks everyone. I’ve told them I’ll give a statement.  The PO said that if anything further happens they can follow it up. We do have the advantage that we’re in the same street as our local police station, not always attended but some comfort.

He also said that the guy the vehicle is registered to is known to them (my description of him matches)  but they haven’t been able to charge him - so they’ll “happily follow it up”.

I don’t think I did anything to trigger it, I just looked in my rear vision mirror and he was right there, and it just got worse - one of the scariest 15 minutes I’ve ever had on the road, made worse because of having my little guy with me. I think it’ll take a couple of wines to settle my heart rate tonight!

It doesn't matter if you did do something to trigger it. Road rage is never the answer.
Judging by what I see on the road these days he could well have just taken meth.....this is the typical, aggressive response of someone high.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.