Melville or Willetton HS GATE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rickdangerous

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:10 AM

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with either Melville or Willetton high school's GATE (Gifted and Talented) programs?

My child will likely be able to go to either, and we would love some input.

One question is: in your experience, are the children in the GATE program treated differently by those that are not in the program? In other words, do they have trouble fitting in with their year group?

Any experiences or input welcome!

Thanks!

#2 LiveLife

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

I can’t answer your specific question but these two schools have very different cohorts in general which often impacts people’s choice (if choosing between these two).

#3 rileys-mum

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

Academic or sport?
Also how far do you have to travel?
Most of the kids will be locally based. Consider if you are concerned about forming friendships how you will go with travelling on weekends for catch up with friends.

#4 rickdangerous

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

Thanks all.

Academic GATE, and we are pretty local to both those schools.

LiveLife: Could you describe the differences in cohorts?

Thanks!

#5 melanieb530

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

I’m thinking that Willetton is really big and probably has almost twice the student population, more families in a higher socioeconomic category and over 95% language other than English background whereas Melville only has around a third of students with background language other than English and a more even socioeconomic spread.

Edited by melanieb530, 29 May 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#6 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:25 PM

You can look at student numbers on the WA Schools Online part of the Education Department website. Willetton has close to 2500 students compared with under 1500, so it’s not quite double. A bigger school might have more subject offerings in year 11 and 12. Have you toured them? Is there a particular program that you’re interested in? When are you looking for? GATE results for 2020 entrance are out now, but not offers, so I think there’s still time to change preferences, but if you’re looking for 2021, I’d highly recommend that you tour both schools and look at the programs that they offer.

One thing about GATE is that you don’t get to pick and choose. If you put 3 preferences down, and you score highly enough for your first preference, that is what you’ll be offered, not a choice, so you need to make sure the first preference is what you want.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 29 May 2019 - 11:26 PM.

#7 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:34 PM

My nephew is in GATE at Melville. He has not had any problems fitting in at the school, it’s been great for him. He particularly enjoys the aviation program they run.

My SD went to Willetton but not in GATE. It’s generally a very high achieving school (she did very well despite not being in GATE).

#8 LiveLife

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

I could describe the differences in cohorts (it will be along the lines of PP) but the fact you have to ask means you really need to investigate. These two school cohorts are wildly different , it may mean nothing and your child may fit in well at both but it would heavily impact me if I were choosing between the two. You said you want your child to fit in with their year group...... I’d be finding out what each year group is like and what common activities the majority partake in as it varies between these schools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.