DH is annoying the crap out of me because...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Gumbette

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

He’s going deaf but won’t get a hearing aid or have an op that will fix the problem so walks around the house talking like he has a megaphone attached to him.  24/7.  He is so loud. I sometimes want to put a pillow over his head.

Just called downstairs because he can’t find DS’s pj’s.  Why on earth would they be in the lounge room or kitchen? When I suggested he look in the basket of DS’s washing that was waiting to be put away? Lo & behold. Why couldn’t he have done that without prompting? It would have been the first place I’d look.

Small things I know but he’s just annoying.  Maybe it’s the thought of another 40 years of this....

#2 Mmmcheese

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

I hear you. I often tell (shout) at my family that I am not the keeper of all the things. I don't know where something is, because you didn't put it away when you finished with it. Our 20th anniversary was me having the realisation that he was never going to change if he hadn't changed very much in the first 20 years...

Edited by Mmmcheese, 26 May 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#3 BadCat

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

I swear to god this kind of thing is the reason I am so happy on my own.

#4 Jenflea

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

Dh has lived here 20 odd years, the same as me and STILL puts things away in the wrong places.

Or expects me to know where everything is kept.

Plus he breathes...that's enough to annoy me some days.

#5 VVV

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

My husband recently got hearing aids in both ears. The difference has been amazing. I didn’t realise just how poor our communication was until now. I would get sick of having to repeat myself over and over that I think I just avoided communicating with him.

#6 Expelliarmus

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

Hopefully mine will get hearing aids one day.

It could be life changing.

#7 Mmmcheese

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

Jenflea, I often think our lives seem to run in parallel!

#8 Romeo Void

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:39 PM

My husband got a hearing aid and the difference was amazing. He was very against it but after blowing up at the kids for giggling in the car (he was desperately trying to hear Siri give directions) I cracked it and told him it wasn't the childrens fault that he couldn't hear.  The children noticed almost immediately that 'daddy doesn't yell anymore' (as in talk loudly at the table).  We also noticed his mood improved, he was pretty grumpy a lot of the time.
Tell your DH it's not for him its for the rest of the family.  I'll just also mention that my DH got a silver one and it looks like it could be a blue tooth ear piece, definitely not noticeably a hearing aid.

#9 Caribou

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

My husband lost his hearing in one ear, one flight trip. And far out, I’m actually deaf and to have my DH walking around like he’s not lost his heating drove me ****ing crazy. I feel you OP. I gave my DH a right serve about hearing loss, which properly shamed him to seeing a GP. You know what? Problem was fixed with meds!!!!

#10 Prancer is coming

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:42 PM

My dad is like this.  He has the TV up that loud you can barely think, let alone have a conversation with anyone.  Hearing aids are pretty discreet nowadays, not sure why he does not just use one!

And don’t get me started on husbands actually showing initiative  around the house.  DH took DS out last week and lost his drink bottle in the process.  It was a $20 one, so not one I want to replace that often.  He even went back to the lost property section of a shop he had visited before we bought a new one.  And then he finds it a week later.  In his car which he had already apparently looked in...

I wish you strength for the next 40 years.

Edited by Prancer is coming, 26 May 2019 - 10:42 PM.

#11 afterlaughter

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

Hearing aids can stream from a iPhone like a pair of apple air pods personally  tailored  to your ears  these days. Way more comfortable and they help you as well!

#12 Toddlerandme

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:35 AM

I hear you.

I’m actually not sure if my husband has a hearing problem or just a listening problem but the repeating myself is so frustrating...

#13 Daffy2016

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

DH is exactly the same. I hate repeating myself five times for some random comment, but if I refuse to do it he sulks. Just get your ears fixed mate!

#14 cinnabubble

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

Mine wears wireless headphones and listens to music constantly. I have given up attempting conversation and now just seethe quietly.

#15 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

FIL got hearing aids and stopped playing music through his speakers and bluetoothed it to his hearing aids instead. MIL requested a radio or similar as suddenly the house was too quiet.

#16 FloralArrangement

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

My grandmother had hearing aids. She’s been gone for 10 years now but even then they were so discreet you couldn’t see them. I hope your dh sees sense.

#17 Gumbette

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

Thanks everyone, misery loves company.

He apparently wants the op, but is waiting until it's absolutely necessary?????  Not sure how much longer that will be. Maybe when the kids have left home and his long suffering wife has moved out...

Oh and the television.  For the love of Pete, when he's not yelling at us all, he's watching television with the volume turned up to 60.

Edited by Gumbette, 27 May 2019 - 11:28 AM.

#18 Crombek

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

My dad is refusing to get hearing aids too. Old people have hearing aids, and he’s not old. So the rest of us just have to put up with it.

#19 Octopodes

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

I would be suggesting it is absolutely necessary now if he doesn't want to up with an ex-wife. The threat might kick him into gear, even if you have no intention of following through.

#20 Luci

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

I wish my Mum would get hearing aids. Trying to talk to her on the phone is exhausting, I feel as though I have to repeat everything 5 times, and I suspect people in the next street can hear what I am saying, I am shouting so loud down the phone.

It is also difficult for my kids to talk to her, especially 6 year old DD who has a soft little voice.

#21 Gumbette

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

View PostLuci, on 27 May 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

I wish my Mum would get hearing aids. Trying to talk to her on the phone is exhausting, I feel as though I have to repeat everything 5 times, and I suspect people in the next street can hear what I am saying, I am shouting so loud down the phone.

It is also difficult for my kids to talk to her, especially 6 year old DD who has a soft little voice.

Don't start me on my mother.  She rings me at work and wants me to keep repeating the conversation and to speak up (code for can you scream louder).  It's an OPEN PLAN OFFICE.  *sigh*.  I think I'm just going to walk around shouting too so they can understand my pain.

#22 Ellie bean

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

View Postcinnabubble, on 27 May 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Mine wears wireless headphones and listens to music constantly. I have given up attempting conversation and now just seethe quietly.
My husband does this- ridiculous headphones whereby if he has to put a hand over his ear and the sound stops and he can then hear me.
In retribution I now claim that I can’t hear him- ie “wait up honey” (I put my hand over my ear) “ok go, now I can hear you.”

I should add I’m not wearing headphones when I do this ;)

#23 Fresh Start

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

View PostLuci, on 27 May 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

My XMIL is deaf and hardly wears her aids and if she does she turns them right down. I am constantly turning my kids heads so they are facing her when they talk to her!

#24 WTF_SM3

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostToddlerandme, on 27 May 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

I hear you.

I’m actually not sure if my husband has a hearing problem or just a listening problem but the repeating myself is so frustrating...

Im pretty sure mine just has a listening problem.

#25 maurie

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:55 PM

I finally convinced dh to get hearing aids - he was entitled to them under that free government thingy for work-based hearing loss.   He has trialled so many pairs its ridiculous.   He reckons they don't 'sound right' - errrr perhaps its that your hearing is shot and this is as good as its going to get.  

It's been 12 months of mucking around - I have no idea what he's going to do next, but I refuse to watch tv with him as he has the tv so loud and I know a lot of the time he just nods along in a conversation and can't actually hear any of it.  

Soooooooooo frustrating.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.