Jump to content

Youth work/community services course

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 76 others

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:11 AM

Please don't quote as I will probably delete because it's identifying.

My nephew is 17 and left school in year 11 because he was just so unhappy. He's seems in a real rut not knowing what he wants to do. So far the main thing that's interested him is community services, in particular youth work.
I've been looking at courses online for him (he needs online due to work) and cert 3 seems to have no  fee help options like hecs does where you pay it off after earni g a certain amount.

All the different diplomas have different criteria.some say you need to be 18.some say no educational requirements.
Hed like to continue on after and do a degree.

Would a broader community services course or a youth work one leave him with my options?

Anyone know of any courses suitable?

#2 76 others

Posted 27 May 2019 - 12:25 AM

I was also looking at the bachelors degree for community development through oua. Am I right in what I'm reading that the first 2 units counts like a bridging course does (in the entry requirements part) ?

This course would give him lots of opportunities?


#3 onetrick

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

Where abouts are you? I think that's one of the free tafe courses in vic atm :)
Online is tough as I know community services has a practical component (those near me do anyway...) and I'd imagine youth work would too..

#4 onetrick

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:33 AM

Sorry- half replied! Community services doesnt require students to be 18 (I'm a secondary school careers advisor/ teacher and some of our students start the course in yr 10), but from memory youth work might? Or the degree part anyway...
Somewhere like rmit have clear pathway options from tafe cert to second yr uni. I imagine other places do as well but my students tend to end up at swinburne or rmit for these courses.
Taking the first step to tertiary study is the hard part so I would see how he goes with the diploma/ cert and take it from there :)

#5 76 others

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

There's no free ones here. He is 18 in a few months and knows there's practical.
Can you get the financial assistance similar to hecs where you have to earn a certain amount?


Edited by 76 others, 27 May 2019 - 07:57 AM.

#6 FloralArrangement

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

In SA for TAFE yes they do have a similar thing to HECS it will be on their website or call the freecall number. Also see if it is a highly sort after cert as this means the government pay part of the course fees (workready it’s called here) .

I imagine it would be a course heavy on placement time, which can often lead to a job if the right place is selected. I’m just completing education support through TAFESA and have done 100+ hours of placement (which I have loved) and have also now got a job at a special ed school.

I agree with pp pick a course that has a pathway to uni, my daughter did this and it takes 6 months off her degree. It’s  a good way to find out what you really want to do. Dd is doing well at uni.

#7 onetrick

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

Sorry, I'm not sure about other states as funding clearly differs. We have 'VET FEE HELP' but I'm not sure of details.

#8 Mollycoddle

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:18 AM

I would encourage him to do something related but not specifically youth work due to his age. 21+ at least is usually optimal. With youth work a lot of the value you bring to the job comes from having lived a bit of life as what you are doing is walking alongside people and helping them to do practical life stuff. Ideally you would have done this stuff yourself prior to being in a position to help others. General community services work or maybe disability care might be a better starting place. I would also advise volunteering as much as he can, too.

If he is going to do it I would avoid online and go for your state equivalent of TAFE. So many dodgy RTOs out there, technically they are accredited yet most employers won't touch them.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 27 May 2019 - 11:22 AM.

#9 ytt

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

My 16 year old is doing community services at TAFE NSW. She is doing it as a pathway to get into nursing. It's a half year course and next semester she is going to do mental health.
Due to a disability she doesn't pay fees.

#10 xx1stxx

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:47 PM

For TAFESA you may be eligible for Vet Student Loan if it is a Diploma of higher, but there are also strict guidelines for eligibility. If it is cert IV or below you will have to do a fees by instalment which is a payment plan.

You will need a cert IV or equivalent to qualify for Diploma level of Youth Work, which is not covered by WR, so you pay Full Fee.  You will also have to receive a passing score in a writing based assessment, that covers reading, writing and numeracy to receive an offer.  There is no cert III or IV of Youth Work, only Diploma.  This is no longer done via open learning, it is back to face to face learning.

What ever your nephew does, make sure the RTO you use is nationally accredited, a lot of the smaller (cheaper) RTO's are not, and basically your qualification means nothing interstate.

#11 rileys-mum

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:13 AM

OP which state are you in. There are a range of funding options that may not be advertised.

Xx1stxx- all RTO’s are Nationally Accredited. Not too sure what you mean by your comment.

#12 xx1stxx

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

No, not all RTOs are nationally accredited. Unless they are registered with ASQA i wouldnt go near them.

#13 rileys-mum

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

You can hold RTO status outside of  ASQA if delivering in vic and Wa and registered with the local accrediting authority.
Anyone that is an RTO is delivering Nationally Recognised Training. Anyone else is just a Training Provider

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users


Top 5 Viewed Articles

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.