St Andrews - Ipswich QLD - Shortest Stay?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 150watson

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am due baby # 2 on September 1st and will be having the baby at St Andrews Private Hospital in Ipswich QLD.

Just wondering if anyone has had a bub here and what is the shortest you can stay?
I have an 18mth old currently, and my husband is undergoing Chemotherapy at the moment. So when bub #2 is born, I would like to get home as soon as possible.

Just wondering if a Private hospital restricts you from going home at all, or if you can get out as quickly as what a Public hospital would get you out normally.

Thanks in advance.

#2 literally nobody

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

I would say unless you had complications I see no reason why you can't go home... best thing would be to ring them to ask. all the best.

#3 alfoil hat

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

Different hospital in the public system, but I left earlier than I was advised after birth (24 hours not 48). I had to sign a waiver saying I understood that I’d been advised to stay and that I understand where to seek help if required.

#4 Luci

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

It's up to you when you want to go home.  I would phone initially and ask if they have an early discharge program, so a midwife comes to visit you at home for the first week, something along those lines.

Otherwise I would just advise them right from the start (and you will probably need to remind them possibly a few times) that you will be going home after X amount of time. So they will need to make sure everything is done before then, ie give you the babies healthcare book (in NSW its the Blue Book might be different in QLD), give you the paperwork for the birth certificate, and your discharge paperwork.

I have had 3 babies in a private hospital in Sydney and prior to going home each time the baby is checked by a Paediatrician, on the morning of the day you leave so that is another thing to try to get organised early before you go.

When I had my 3rd baby DH had to pick me up early on the day I was leaving. I told the midwives the day before and reminded them on the day that I had to leave by a certain time so had to be seen by the Paediatrician and have the babies discharge weight taken etc. If it wasn't done in time I would just have left anyway and sorted it out later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.