very pooey baby - dairy intolerance?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

DS is 3 weeks old, exclusively breastfed. Going well apart from being very pooey. EG doing about 20 or more poos a day! And farting an awful lot. His poos all look normal for a breastfed baby, but his poor little bottom is a bit sore. He is gaining weight well and otherwise looks healthy.
Dr has checked him over and cant find anything else wrong so has suggested I give up dairy which I am of  course now doing.

I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues from dairy?  Or similar from other foods?
If giving up dairy doesn't help I guess I will look for other possibilities.

#2 Mands09

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

My son was like this, not to the extend of 20 poi’s a day but he poo a lot more than his other brothers and they were explosive sounding, always went up and out over the back of his nappy and were quite a bit mucosy. We are getting his coeliac diagnosis finalised now. So gluten for him even when exclusively breastfed.

#3 Demera

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

It could be nothing at all.  I'm lactose intolerant so I don't have much dairy, but my now 4 month old was the same as yours, also fully breastfed.  I was going through 3 or 4 nappies an hour for much of the day. A lot more poos than wees, and she was getting rather sore.  It settled down by about 6 weeks and she has no issues now.

Edited by Demera, 27 May 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#4 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

DS was a pooey and gassy bub ( but not 20 times). At 3 months it turned out he had hernias ( unnoticed by two paeds and MCHN until then as not visible). Cleared up after surgery. Just another possibility if the allergy thing doesn't work out.

#5 skicat

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

Many years ago I had similar  issues with my 4 week old baby- I was advised to express approx 20 mls before feeding (oversupply/ too much "foremilk") however I'm not sure if things are looked at differently these days, maybe a quick word to ABA or a lactation consultant ?

Anyway it settled the issue within 24 hours.

#6 afterlaughter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

At 3 weeks I wouldn’t be worried by 20 poi’s a day. If he’s still doing 20 poi’s at 3 months, he has blood in stool or stops gaining weight then a trial of going dairy free would be worth while. Usually you need to go soy free as well. Instead I would see a ibclc to check attachment and milk transfer is good.

#7 PrincessPeach

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

My eldest was a prolific poo baby. Zero allergies or intolerances, it was just him.

But I wouldn't be excluding dairy just yet unless you have symptoms of intolerances (mucous streaks) you can actually cause issues by excluding foods for no reason.

As for a sore bum, change your brand of wipes. My kids reacted very badly to a lot of brands of wipes to the point 3 brands cause nasty nappy rash.

#8 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 27 May 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

As for a sore bum, change your brand of wipes. My kids reacted very badly to a lot of brands of wipes to the point 3 brands cause nasty nappy rash.

Im using cotton wool and warm water for his bottom. It seems to get better in the day as I can change him more frequently and give him nappy free time but its harder to keep clean at night.

I guess it could be normal? He seems uncomfortable with all the gas through. He is my 3rd baby so I sort of know what Im doing but the other 2 are older . I know they are all different anyway.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 29 May 2019 - 02:21 PM.

#9 Lou-bags

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

Might be worth trying a different brand of nappy too?

My DS2 got a red bum in reaction to some of the cheaper brands (not sure if it was the nappy itself or the fact that they don’t keep him as dry as huggies).

#10 lucky 2

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

That's a lot of poos!
I second the suggestion to see a LC prior to you changing your diet.
It might be a simple issue, ie If you have heaps of milk (I suspect you do), do you offer one or both breasts?. If you offer both you may not need to ie you may have plenty to fill baby in one breast. That's just an example.
You could  also ring ABA and/or talk to your mchn.
I'm a fan of having a bfing expert ie LC review bfing before making ? unnecessary maternal changes. A gp is not a bfing expert but at least you know your baby is not sick. :)

#11 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

View Postlucky 2, on 28 May 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

That's a lot of poos!
I second the suggestion to see a LC prior to you changing your diet.
It might be a simple issue, ie If you have heaps of milk (I suspect you do), do you offer one or both breasts?. If you offer both you may not need to ie you may have plenty to fill baby in one breast. That's just an example.
You could  also ring ABA and/or talk to your mchn.
I'm a fan of having a bfing expert ie LC review bfing before making ? unnecessary maternal changes. A gp is not a bfing expert but at least you know your baby is not sick. :)

Yeah thanks, i figured Id better rule out a gastro type bug so went to GP first.  I have spoken to

mchn

today and she thinks my latch is OK, and suggested expressing off a bit of milk before each feed as a PP suggested. So I am going to do this in addition to avoiding dairy. Hopefully something will work in the next couple of days then I can go from there. M

chn wasn't sure it was dairy either but said it cant hurt to try for a few days to rule it out.

#12 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied.
Bit of an update from me. 4 days in from cutting all dairy DS seems a fair bit more settled. Hes still pooing a lot but not quite as much, and they seem to be hurting his bottom less (less acidy? ).
Hes  got a lot less gas and seems to be less refluxy. Of course this could all be coincidence but I do think there is something there so Im going to stay off dairy for a couple more weeks and see how it goes.

I have noticed people said cutting dairy for no reason can cause other problems - would this be due to lack of calcium? I am taking Ostelin (calcium / vit D) and I eat other foods like tahini and sardines that are high in calcium. Anything else to be wary of?

#13 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

Another update in case it helps anyone with a similar issue. A couple of days on DS seems to be farting much less and generally more settled. I do think the dairy seems to have been an issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.