TTC after vasectomy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tania_85

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

Hi all just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation we currently have 2 kids one dd who is 3 and ds who is 7 we were in a not good situation and our living arrangements just wouldn’t have suited to have a 3rd baby so my husband has a vasectomy moving forward 12 months we have now bought our dream house and things are good and now all I can think about is my dream for baby number 3 only issue is husband doesn’t want to go through the reversal and now I’m not sure where to go from here

#2 Holidayromp

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

Does your husband want another baby? Him not wanting the reversal is very telling.

#3 Jenflea

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:45 AM

You can have a baby without him having a reversal but it's expensive and requires IVF which is not something I'd choose to do if I could avoid it.

As HR says, it doesn't sound like he wants another baby to me and you can't force him to A want one and B go through the procedure to extract the sperm to make one.

#4 Caribou

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

I think, your longing for a 3rd is because everything is very settled and ‘good’ at the moment. Adding a 3rd isn’t going to necessarily be good. It’s just you’re in a good place at the moment and it ‘feels’ right. I’d love a third, we’re in a good place too, but long term it’s asking my DH to work for longer, give up aspects of our lifestyle (though I was willing, he wasn’t really) and though we could afford a 3rd, it still, changed a lot of tiny little things which add up. Unless he’s on board, it’s basically a no. As time goes on, the longing will lessen. Make plans for what you have now with 2 kids and a DH, you don’t necessarily want to add more relationship stress in either. If you feel that strongly about it I would suggest counselling to work through those feelings so it doesn’t end with resentment.

#5 blueskies12

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:36 PM

Tania_85, has the the 3rd baby dream just come back suddenly? Is it because your second is 3? Or because you are in a good place financially?

I also think a third would be lovely. Although, I also see the practical side to staying with 2. My husband also would rather 2...It is hard to accept. It is mostly hard to accept saying goodbye to the baby stage forever. I most like will need to speak to someone about it. I do feel sad about it. If i truly analyse my motives for a third it is because I love under 5s, so really want to prolong this stage, also I don't want to go back to work more. I also am a little scared of being on my own if I am truthful, a third stops this worry (for a bit) I'd also like the baby-cuddling again! Although, all this passes far too quick and I'd have to be prepared to parent a whole-big child with all the ups and downs that go with it.

In saying that it is really lovely concentrating on the two that are in front of you and giving them your all.

However as a PP said...if things are really good now, why would a third make it any better? Maybe it is so good right now because it is right and it is perfect. I know it is like throwing the dice but there is no guarantee the third would increase happiness.

Big hugs.

Maybe you could do some couple counselling? To see where your husband is at any why he wouldn't want the reversal and the deeper reasons why you do want a third? Which of course could be as simple, as I want to be a family of 5, only you know.

Edited by blueskies12, 30 May 2019 - 07:39 PM.

#6 Paddlepop

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:45 PM

Jenflea, on 30 May 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

You can have a baby without him having a reversal but it's expensive and requires IVF which is not something I'd choose to do if I could avoid it.

As HR says, it doesn't sound like he wants another baby to me and you can't force him to A want one and B go through the procedure to extract the sperm to make one.

Like Jenflea has said, yes it's possible to have a baby without reversing the vasectomy. Your DH would need to go under anaesthetic and have the sperm removed from his testicles by the IVF doctor via a needle. You then need to do IVF. It would be expensive but it is possible.

However, if your DH doesn't want a third child then you'll need to make peace with that and enjoy your two children that you already have.

#7 Tania_85

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

Thankyou all! I had a miscarriage 18 months ago and it made me convinced I didn’t want a third it was super traumatic for me and hubby went and had the snip because he thought it was for the best he isn’t against having a third but we are still in the deciding stages, he has heard horror stories of the reversal being quite bad recovery wise and he didn’t recover well from the initial procedure hence why he is hesitant. He actually never went for he is follow up screen to ensure he was infertile because of his experience I guess that is what I should have asked in the first place if anyone’s other half has been through it and how they recovered.

#8 rosie28

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:19 PM

I obviously haven’t been through a reversal but I have been through IVF. I can almost guarantee a reversal will be easier, and it will certainly be cheaper. If he’s not keen I’d take that as a pretty strong hint he doesn’t really want a third.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.