What books do you re-read? (spin off)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

I am generally not a re-reader but what books do you reread? either straight away or from years ago

I will reread the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series again one day

(usual note yes I have probably asked this before)

#2 Lady Monteagle

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Jane Austen, Isaac Asimov, Philip Pullman, Anne of GG, Artemis Fowl, Bill Bryson (early works), Ursula Le Guin

Also thanks to DS1 getting to an age where I can introduce him to my faves (including to my surprise not just Hitchhiker's but Anne of GG), I recently re-discovered and re-read Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising sequence.  It has aged very well.

#3 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:16 PM

All the Austens.

some Agatha Christie’s (silly i know....as i know the endings)

i’d like to do Sapiens again but haven’t got around to it.

i re-read books more as a kid - little house on the prairie, little women (actually i’ve re read that as an adult...had a VERY different take on it), Diary of Adrian Mole, Anne of Green Gables, wrinkle in time...

oh i’ve done Bridget Jones Diary a few times - always makes me laugh.

#4 TrixieBelden

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:21 PM

Jane Eyre I’ve read at least once a year since I was eight.

Others I ready roughly annually: Cat’s Eye, Dr Zhivago, Jude the Obscure, Les Miserables.

Always reread Agatha Christie when stressed.

#5 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

When I reading a series and a new book is released I will often re-read all the books in the series before the new book.

#6 4kids mostlysane

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

Anne of GG, The Billabong books, I've re-read many Susan Penman books, all the Diana Gabaldon books numerous times (esp when as VVA says, the next book is about to released).  Matthew Reilly books several times, several Wilbur Smith ones....

I love a good re-read - its comfy like trackie pants

#7 Mollycoddle

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Pretty much every book I own.  Mostly compilations of true crime and short stories though, as there are so many of them in some volumes they can be easy to forget about so worth a re-read.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 29 May 2019 - 01:55 PM.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

I’ve only ever re read two books.

Interview with the Vampire
Dune

Both were good the second time around, Dune actually got better cause it’s so damn complicated that it takes two reads.

#9 Mrs Claus

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 29 May 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

I’ve only ever re read two books.

Interview with the Vampire
Dune

Both were good the second time around, Dune actually got better cause it’s so damn complicated that it takes two reads.

I think the only books I’ve ever read more then once were ones I had to read for school

#10 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

I think I've read the tomorrow when the war began series, plus Ellie chronicals about 20 times.

Belinda Alexandra novels are also a good read second time around. I wished I had more time for reading.

#11 ERipley

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

The Great Gatsby. As I grow and learn more my feelings about everything change so much. It’s also such an atmospheric book. Sometimes I feel like I want to spend time in that world, sad as it is. The emotions are so intense. It’s like a sliver of life perfectly preserved to revisit whenever you want. Sigh. I think I’m due a reread.

I’m another Austen fan too. Her writing is so clever. You will always pick up on something new in a reread. And like The Great Gatsby, my feelings about everything change each time. She really was incredible.

#12 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostERipley, on 29 May 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

The Great Gatsby. As I grow and learn more my feelings about everything change so much. It’s also such an atmospheric book. Sometimes I feel like I want to spend time in that world, sad as it is. The emotions are so intense. It’s like a sliver of life perfectly preserved to revisit whenever you want. Sigh. I think I’m due a reread.

I’m another Austen fan too. Her writing is so clever. You will always pick up on something new in a reread. And like The Great Gatsby, my feelings about everything change each time. She really was incredible.

“They were careless people, Tom and Daisy- they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.“

first quote i thought of when i woke up on sunday morning to the sad news the liberal party had won the election. it’s a timeless novel.

#13 ERipley

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 29 May 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

“They were careless people, Tom and Daisy- they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.“

first quote i thought of when i woke up on sunday morning to the sad news the liberal party had won the election. it’s a timeless novel.

Oh now you’ve made me want to read it again. I just got it off the bookshelf where it sits in a row with the other Fitzgeralds. Their spines are almost perfect and this one thoroughly creased, dog-eared corners, browning pages. You’re right though - utterly timeless. It’s amazing how many people miss the point.

#14 ~J_WTF~

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

The Harry Potter series.

Playing Beatie Bow.

#15 molinero

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

I read a lot of Jeannette Winterson as a teen and they influenced my reading and world view so much at that age.

I am fanging to go back and re-read them as a proper adult.

#16 PaulaHall

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:17 PM

I often re-read a lot of my books:

a lot of the classics, dickens, Austen, Bronte
My most favorite author Stephen King
Harry Potter series
Twilight
Chick lit author's Cathy Kelly, Jane Green
Marian Keyes
The Cheerleader by Ruth Doan MacDougall

#17 JRA

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

I re-read quite a few. I have a few books I re-read regularly:

- To Kill a Mocking Bird
- The Shell Seekers
- The Cruel Sea

are the most regular

#18 SelceLisbeth

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Far from the Madding Crowd I have easily read a dozen times. Jane Eyre about six.

Mists of Avalon I read a few times. Clan of the Cave Bear, Dark Moons, The Hobbit, The Land Behind the World, The James Herriot vet series and the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series  and Douglas Adams Hitchhiker and Dirk Gently series are all also regulars.

I like to read books twice to catch the bits I might have no appreciated the first time.

#19 Inkogneatoh

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

I've read Tim by Colleen McCullough, IT by Stephan King, A Twist in the Tale by Jeffery Archer and Forever Enchanted by Maggie Shayne multiple times.

I've been considering re-reading the Courtney Series by Wilber Smith, as I read that willingly while in high school. But I struggled with Rage, and it's kind of putting me off, despite how much I enjoyed all the books up until then.

However, in finding out the spelling of Maggie Shayne, I've discovered Forever Enchanted is book 2 in a series. I may need to reacquaint myself with my local library.

#20 bec578

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:43 PM

Tomorrow When The War Began Series

#21 BadCat

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

I re-read almost anything I enjoyed.

The most re-read things on my shelves are probably:

Jane Austen
The Empire Trilogy by Wurtz and Feist
Christiane F autobiography
Mountaineering books
The Stand by Stephen King

And in the interests of embarrassing myself by confessing something that is purely the comfort food of books for me, I have 3 horse stories from when I was in my tweens and early teens that I revisit from time to time.

Pony Club Camp is a book for quite young readers but it's so sweet and so horsey and it makes me happy despite it's pedestrian writing.  It is a story about, unsurprisingly, a Pony Club camp and it has lots of lovely characters and old fashioned English charm.

I Wanted a Pony is for slightly older readers and is better written.   A girl gets a reward and buys a pony with it.  The pony is believed to be defective, but she solves the problem despite being ridiculed by her cousins, with whom she lives.  She learns a lot, and teaches her pony a lot, and they do well at the show and earn the respect of the cousins.

The Impossible Horse is for an older audience again, and even includes some very chaste romance.  A not very well to do young woman helps out an injured horsewoman when one of the horses the woman sold causes injury to it's buyer.  Our hero takes on "the impossible horse" and proves he is actually a beautiful beast.  She wins the heart of the well to do but ever so lovely Guy on the way.

Sigh.  I love those books.  All three are like an escape to a simpler time and I would hate to lose them.

#22 Dianalynch

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:46 PM

All Jane Austen, Middlemarch, Harry Potter, Anne of GG, the Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Edited for weird autocorrect

Edited by Dianalynch, 29 May 2019 - 08:48 PM.

#23 Crazyhouseholdof6

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

The Bronze Horseman!!

#24 Sancti-claws

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:08 PM

Most of the books on my very tiny bookshelf in my very tiny house are ones that I cannot bear to part with because I am a re-reader - and there are others that, whenever I come across them in an op shop, I have to buy, re-read and then gift to someone who I hope will appreciate.

Eva Luna (and The Stories of Eva Luna) and many other South American novels; the Duncton Wood series; Billabong; Man-Shy; The Rule of the Bone; Avalon; Earthsea; Chaim Potok; Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance; The L Shaped Room...

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:59 PM

Harry Potter :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.