Small birthday cake - Melbournites please help?!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 joeyinthesky

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:18 PM

We’re going to staying in Melbourne over my youngest’s third birthday. I always make them a birthday cake and decorate it, but that’s not going to be a possibility this time.

Thinking I’d buy him a cake, I’ve been having a look online. The minimum price I’ve found is $165! I’d be happy to pay $50+ I suppose.  There will only be the four of us, and I know he’ll be happy with some cute cupcakes or similar.

We’ll be staying in North Melbourne, but will be driving around a bit. Can anyone recommend somewhere i could get some delicious & cute cupcakes/mini cake around that area?  
Or possibly somewhere child friendly but with great food where we could have birthday dinner? I’m craving city life...

#2 Silverstreak

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:27 PM

Maybe try Brunetti's in Carlton, they have lovely things. My wedding cake was from Brunetti's: very reasonably priced and smaller than the average wedding cake, but managed to feed all the guests just fine.

#3 MakesMeHappy

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

The cheesecake shop do mini cakes :)

#4 Toddlerandme

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:42 PM

If it’s getting something decorated in a kid friendly way that makes buying a cake so expensive, could you buy some plain iced cupcakes or plain iced cake from a local bakery and add decorations yourself?

Something simple like smarties (can use writing icing from supermarket to stick them on). Or buy fancy candles like the below to stick in a plain cake?  

https://www.spotligh...dles/BP80400869

#5 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

I usually buy a few woolies mudcakes and cut the icing off, stack and decorate myself.

#6 joeyinthesky

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

Brunetti’s might be the go... I haven’t been there in a long time.

It’s Melbourne - I figured there must a plethora of places that do yummy sweet creations. Factor in that I’m usually stuck out in rural wasteland with not a decent cakeshop in easy distance...

We’ll be staying in a unit with minimum of utilities, I don’t really want to be trying to achieve something there.

#7 meljbau

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:09 PM

Green Refrectory 115 Sydney Rd Brunswick would make you something I'm sure. They are just on the edge of Parkville. If you call and place and order you can pick up the next day.They also deliver.
https://www.greenrefectory.net/

#8 BusbyWilkes

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

Burch and Purchase in South Yarra. Amazing! Their 18cm cakes are $55 (need to order 24 hours before I think). Not sure if the 3 year old will love it, but you will!

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

You can order a small rainbow cake or small
Birthday cake from Ferguson Plarre for $50 to $100. It’s so easy. Find your local store to where you are staying, order online (a few days in advance) and pick up on the day. They also have cakes on the shelf if you’re too late to order. We get all our cakes from there now.

#10 smilinggirl

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

Beatrix - amazing tiny bakery in North Melb. Amazing cakes. Only make small numbers (tiny shop)

https://www.beatrixbakes.com

#11 barrington

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:39 PM

I would just get a woolies mud cake and pour several packets of his favourite lollies on to the top of it.  Simple and he will love it.

#12 eponee

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

How about some really fancy cupcakes with candles?  I'm not in Melbourne so cant make any suggestions as to where you'd find them though

#13 Sunandicecream

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

Woolies/Coles mud cake.  Betty Crocker Premade icing. Violet crumbles as rocks down the side of the cake. Buy a monster truck kids toy. You’ll be able to ‘make’ it, or similar in 5 minutes or less ( you can see it on Pininterest) - if making cakes for your kids birthdays is something that is important to you - this ‘hack’ will fit in. You can search ‘woolies mud cake hacks’ if the monster truck idea doesn’t fit what your son is in to.

#14 Renovators delight

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 01 June 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

You can order a small rainbow cake or small
Birthday cake from Ferguson Plarre for $50 to $100. It’s so easy. Find your local store to where you are staying, order online (a few days in advance) and pick up on the day. They also have cakes on the shelf if you’re too late to order. We get all our cakes from there now.

Yes, I got DS3 a dinosaur cake for his last birthday. Eggfree chocolate mudcake, smallest size, I think it was $80? But that was pretty fancy decorations. I think DP got a decorated cake off the shelf for $50 - which is where DS3 spotted the dinosaur cake he 'had' to have.

I have also done the hotwheels cars on top of an iced sponge thing, though. Simple and effective.

Attached File  dino cake.jpg   204.13K   42 downloads

Edited by Renovators delight, 01 June 2019 - 05:55 PM.

#15 ckmelb

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:56 PM

Lots of great cupcake shops in Melbourne - little cupcakes, joy cupcakes. You could go choose them on the day or order some to be delivered.

Otherwise as PPs have suggested Brunetti has a lot of variety. You could also have dinner there (pizzas etc) as it is kid friendly

Otherwise David Jones food hall has some great cakes for less than $50. They also have smaller cakes for about $30 if there are only 4 of you

#16 *Arabella*

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:05 PM

Mister nice guys in Union Rd Ascot Vale have amazing cupcakes, they might have cakes too.

#17 joeyinthesky

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

Oh I’ve fallen down an Instagram rabbit hole of Beatrix and Burch Purchese!  Yum yum

I looked at the Ferguson Plarre website and their cakes were so expensive - the prices were well over $100. Maybe the sizes are completely different to what they have in store.

I’ll check out the cupcake rec’s too.

Thank you all for your help... I want to do something special cos the littlest always seems shortchanged... lots of handed down hand-me-downs and toys I like to make birthdays their special day!

#18 joeyinthesky

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:41 PM

View Post*Arabella*, on 01 June 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Mister nice guys in Union Rd Ascot Vale have amazing cupcakes, they might have cakes too.

They do - and they’re gorgeous! Have you tried the cupcakes, are they nice to eat as well as fancy?

#19 RynandStompy

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:03 PM

La Manna has great kids ice cream cakes for <$30. Depending on guest number you could serve a slice plus a macaron per guest?

#20 MsLaurie

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

Breadtop do some petite cakes that are rather gorgeous- one shaped like a fluffy dog, another with rainbow stripes... there’s a good one in the QV building in the city? Cost of little cakes is around $30-40 from memory.

#21 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

View Postjoeyinthesky, on 01 June 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

Oh I’ve fallen down an Instagram rabbit hole of Beatrix and Burch Purchese!  Yum yum ������

I looked at the Ferguson Plarre website and their cakes were so expensive - the prices were well over $100. Maybe the sizes are completely different to what they have in store.

I’ll check out the cupcake rec’s too.

Thank you all for your help... I want to do something special cos the littlest always seems shortchanged... lots of handed down hand-me-downs and toys I like to make birthdays their special day!

This one is $52
https://www.ferguson...day-pinata-cake

#22 Daxy

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:24 PM

We got a unicorn cake from Ferguson Plarre for $55 in March, would have been 8 inches at least. Looked beautiful but wasn't the greatest tasting I'd ever had.

#23 smilinggirl

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 01 June 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

We had this one for a birthday party and it tasted a bit stale, although that could just be the store I went to. However, have never had a stale cake from Beatrix. Their chiffon cakes are amazing!

#24 *Arabella*

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

View Postjoeyinthesky, on 01 June 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

They do - and they’re gorgeous! Have you tried the cupcakes, are they nice to eat as well as fancy?

Yep, they're delicious and very generous in size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.