The very quiet baby

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie80

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:31 AM

Hi,

My DD is going to be four months and she is a very very quiet baby. She sleeps a lot and we've investigated this with blood tests several times and all her bloodwork is normsl. However, even when she is awake, she is so quiet. I often forget she is in the room. Our son is ASD, so this is not looking good at all.
Having said that, our son was the most animated interactive baby. He still is. However, it is a spectrum with different symptoms.
I am just curious if anyone had a very quiet baby who turned out to be ok? I guess I am clutching at straws!

#2 kim11

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:27 AM

Have you had her hearing checked? Can she hear and respond to you when you talk or make noise? she could just be quiet and content if nothing else has shown up. Is she animated and interactive when you sit with her and talk?

#3 Minnie80

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:37 AM

View Postkim11, on 03 June 2019 - 01:27 AM, said:

Have you had her hearing checked? Can she hear and respond to you when you talk or make noise? she could just be quiet and content if nothing else has shown up. Is she animated and interactive when you sit with her and talk?

I think her hearing is fine. She startles at noises etc. She smiles and cooes (But not a lot). Laughed a few times only. Not really that animated at all. She's eerily quiet. You can forget she's in the room.

#4 gracie1978

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:36 AM

My son wasn't that loud either, very chilled.  He slept all the time.

He ended up having an expressive speech delay, but is otherwise pretty much ok.  (Few sensory issues, but totally inherited from me ). He also had large tonsils and adenoids that caused sleep aponea.

He's an introvert and was always very happy looking around at things and taking it all in.

I'd keep a few notes (maybe even put them in the blue book or equivalent) for discussion with your GP, paed etc.  I'd also make sure you keep a record of milestones, as they'll be interested in that if ASD is looking more likely as she gets older.

I'd also consider another hearing test.

#5 Minnie80

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:09 AM

Yes I do keep records of milestones, believe me. :)
My husband is very quiet and chilled out. So, she could possibly have his temperament. But
because my son is ASD, this is a possibility too.

#6 Drat

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:30 AM

My two month old is like that. Super quiet and chilled. It freaks me out because I worry that I will forget where she is. My older daughter was a horrendous baby and screamed all the time, I never had a moment of peace. My two month old is pure sweetness.

#7 Elly_Bells

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:41 AM

After having a very noisy reflux baby for my first child, my DD is like that. Enjoys being around people and sometimes doesn't make a peep when others are around or in the car watching things. At this stage we're just enjoying it and thinking it's a sign of a contented baby. I think if her tests are coming back normal you can rest assured. It is hard after having such a different experience first time around though, I completely understand.

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

My 5 year old was the absolute King of sleep as an infant & still has high sleep needs to this day.

He was a very chilled out, relaxed baby & that is just his personality.

He does have an expressive speech delay (Gracie, that is an odd coincidence), but speech therapy has helped overcome that.

#9 imme

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:52 PM

My now almost 11 month old was very much like that at that age.  She's into everything now though  :)

#10 laridae

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

Both of mine were quiet, DD1 almost never cried and DD2 slept long hours. Both are fine. DD2 is now 4 and is a little whirlwind. DD1 is more reserved but pretty normal.

#11 JoanJett

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

Apparently I was like that as a baby.  My mother used to check I was breathing regularly because I was so quiet.

I was a shy/quiet child outside of the home until late high school.

My family would assure you I'm anything but quiet or chilled now.

Not wanting to minimise your very understandable concerns OP.  It's great that you're monitoring and keeping track.  It's hard to not let your worries overwhelm you.  Hopefully she just needs more time and interaction to warm up to the world.

Good luck.

#12 kim11

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:58 PM

I think it is important to make sure you spend a lot of time chatting with her. Sit in front of her face to face and talk, coo, make noises, sing and read. Talk to her as you walk around the room or play with her brother. Carry her often and chat while you do things around the house as you might to an older child etc. If she is quiet she won't be demanding the attention but she will like it. Singing songs and reading are good ways to interact with a small baby. She sounds lovely.

#13 Pocket...

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:35 PM

My dd was very quiet compared to my ds. She was a very contented baby.

I was very aware of it like you, ds is autistic and while dd has quirks I don't think she's autistic. Though I'll never stop looking out for signs.

I also think it's great that you're on the look out for anything that may be going on. You're a very attentive and aware mum and that's great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.