Farewell, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, To Day Sleeps :(

34 replies to this topic

#26 Caribou

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

Oh bless the little boy. He fell asleep, face into pizza. It was absolutely hilarious and I also felt so sorry for him.

Indeed will I need to move bed time earlier, like 6pm instead of his usual 7:30pm Going to have to do something about dinners though. He was eating with us at table, and making two different meals is a right pain in the butt.

#27 Silverstreak

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

We bought some outdoor play equipment lol. And a trampoline when he got big enough. And there was lots of iPad and TV and going to the park and mummy going crazy! I was pretty darn happy when he was old enough for kinder, that's for sure.

#28 Silver Girl

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

DS used to have quiet time in his room - about an hour of reading, Duplo, etc.

He was allowed to come out when the Gro Clock turned yellow. That Gro Clock was the best $80 I ever spent.

If he stayed in his room until the clock turned yellow (which he usually did), he was allowed to watch his Wiggles DVD. This was his only screen time for the day, so it was a big incentive.

#29 Mooples

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostCaribou, on 04 June 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

Oh bless the little boy. He fell asleep, face into pizza. It was absolutely hilarious and I also felt so sorry for him.

Indeed will I need to move bed time earlier, like 6pm instead of his usual 7:30pm Going to have to do something about dinners though. He was eating with us at table, and making two different meals is a right pain in the butt.

Ds1 dropped his sleep earlier this year when he was over 3 and the hardest change for us was not eating dinner as a family. The kids eat early and are in bed by 6:30, any later and they just get over emotional. It’s such a nice occasion to eat all together now.

#30 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:18 PM

Early dinner - kid gets leftovers from the night before or has a main meal at lunch and sandwiches or something easy like that for dinner. My kids eat at 5-5.30pm, DH doesn’t get home until after 8, so I’m practised at this. I’ve done bedtime as early as 5.30pm when needed.

#31 Caribou

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:22 PM

Duh, I can’t believe I didn’t think of that. Dinners from night before. Of course. :facepalm: thank you. I didn’t want to do
Baked beans regularly or those kids freezer meals. I use them from time to time, but not every night. That should make things easier now. :)

#32 ABabyPlease

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

I did resting time where we both lay on my bed. We could read but not talk. Followed by a reward which was tv. If this doesn't work, maybe something else that only comes out at that time such as a train set or similar.

Good luck!

#33 RichardParker

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:24 PM

Yes, leftovers for lunch, then an early bath and fairly light dinner, followed by a 6.30 bedtime. I ended up preferring that to the day sleep and late bedtime.

#34 Prancer is coming

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

I remember that awful day.  Happened when my big kids started school holidays and the little one was not having a nap when there were siblings to play with and things to miss out on.  He did sleep the first day of school back from the long school holidays, but sadly never did again!

I had friends that used to tell me they had quiet time, like kid spent time in room quietly playing, looking at books, listening to music ect.  I tried this, but did my head in.  My kids are not compliant and will not stay in their rooms doing quiet things without an awful lot of howling and work in my part.  It caused more stress than having them up caused. I was also anti tv plus didnot want them falling asleep later in the afternoon which was prone to happening if sitting still.  So we just got on with the day and looked forward to early bedtime.

I do remember when the second dropped his nap and things went downhill, I would often spend an hour reading him and his sister stories just so they would shut up, as they always sat quietly for them!

#35 Caribou

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

Did another day on no day naps and managed fine.

until night time. Last night he was up only a gazillion times. by morning I was swearing worse than a sailor being woken up fir the day, having only just got back to sleep.

I am so effing tired. he on the other hand is not. he did develop a cold though, so I am hoping thats why he was up so much last night.

Not liking my chances of convincing him to have a little nap today. despite the cold, he's running around like he normally does.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.