Soy introduction

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jameelah

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

Hello everyone,

As a quick update, my little one is progressing quite well through both the egg and dairy ladders. He's had a bit of a lasting rash around his mouth the last few days which I'm not sure if it's from the foods or if there's something else going on. I think I'm going to stay on these steps for a bit until it settles though.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is that I have a question (or a few) regarding introducing soy. His reaction has always been mucus, sometimes accompanied by blood, in his stool and of course belly aches associated with that. His skin prick test for soy was negative and the immunologist said we could start introducing it into his diet but didn't say how. He can handle soy lecithin and on a few occasions has had a little soy sauce and has had no problems but he can not tolerate bread. When I look at soy ladders online they have bread before soy sauce so I'm confused. After seeing how he can tolerate so much more after working through the ladders I would really love to see him able to do the same with soy and finally be able to eat regular bread.

I plan to talk to the immunologist about it when I see her next but that won't be until next year. Does anyone have any advice on how to introduce soy slowly and does anyone have an explanation to offer as to why he can handle a little soy sauce but not baked soy? Obviously I don't want to be hurting him and his belly but at the same time I'm less afraid to tackle this one since I know his reaction isn't going to be life threatening.

Thank you in advance. You guys are always awesome and so much help.

#2 alfoil hat

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:25 PM

That’s really confusing Jameela and I don’t have answers, but my first thought was how long ago did he have bread? I wonder if he’s become less reactive over time?

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

is it possible he is reacting to something else in the bread?

I know that opens up a bigger can of worms though.

#4 Wonderstruck

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

Do you see a dietitian? We see one and shes super helpful with dairy ladder etc.

#5 Jameelah

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

Apologies for not replying sooner. Thank you all for your replies.

Alfoil hat, his doses of bread and soy sauce have been all over the place. For example bread then a month or so later soy sauce then some time later bread and so on. His most recent for bread was maybe about 4 weeks ago (and possibly the worst reaction he's had) and the soy sauce was about a week ago. I do wonder if it's all dose related since when he had the bread it was about 1/2 slice but the soy sauce would have only been a small amount.

PrincessPeach, I guess I can't be certain that it's not something else he's reacting to but I do feel quite confident it is the soy. He reacted the same way previously when I have tested him with soy milk. With the bread he's eaten, the only other ingredient in the which I'm not certain he's tolerated before is barley malt flour but he has eaten barley pearls without issue. The bread packet I have here also has a "May contain sesame" in the allergen advice, which he is allergic to, but that isn't his usual reaction to sesame. What I didn't say is that he also had the same reaction to sausages but I don't know what the ingredients are (my husband gets them from the butcher who is always super busy so never asked) and I have assumed it is probably soy in that too.

Wonderstruck, we have seen a dietician but it was just a once off through the hospital and was just aimed at making sure he was getting enough nutrition. The immunologist is happy for me to contact her about the ladders he's working through but I wouldn't feel right contacting her about the soy at this stage.

#6 alfoil hat

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

It’s so often such a mystery :( to be clear, is it an allergy or intolerance? Intolerances are often dosage related. I’m not sure about allergies as we are lucky enough not to have them in our household.

#7 Jameelah

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

Well, I've always assumed intolerance based on the symptoms and later on the negative skin prick test although I guess it could be non- IGE allergy. There has been no diagnosis as the immunologist didn't seem interested in it in the slightest after the negative test result.

#8 alfoil hat

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:47 PM

I am by no means an expert but my guess would be the dosage then. If it was me, I’d try the soy ladder but starting with very small quantities at each step.

#9 Jameelah

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:50 PM

That makes sense. Thank you alfoil hat 🌸

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.