scared of her playroom, wont go in..anyone experienced this?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PandoBox

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

DD (19m) has now developed a fear of her playroom which she's had since she was 1. Admittedly she plays in areas outside of it too so that room isn't the only room she associates with play and toys.
She doesn't want to be in it even when I'm there. Something in there has scared her and I can't figure out what. I know because she saw something and got scared and ran to me while we were in there. I thought it was the posters/decor so I took it off/changed it but she still has the same reaction.

Should I change things around in there entirely or wait till this phase passes. Its been 2 weeks so far.

She's generally not scared of things..occasionally a toy she will find scary but is ok with most things/sounds etc.

#2 Caribou

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

She could be overwhelmed by the toys in there. Neither of my kids liked ‘playrooms’ they were ditched really quickly and toys were in living room with toys on rotation.

I think it was more about the fact I left the room. By moving toys to living space which was open plan with kitchen both kids were fine so long as they could see me.

#3 Daffy2016

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

Do you have a fan or heater in there? DD the same age has just developed an irrational fear of both. Excellent timing for Canberra winter.

#4 PandoBox

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:52 AM

View PostCaribou, on 05 June 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

She could be overwhelmed by the toys in there. Neither of my kids liked ‘playrooms’ they were ditched really quickly and toys were in living room with toys on rotation.

I think it was more about the fact I left the room. By moving toys to living space which was open plan with kitchen both kids were fine so long as they could see me.

The playroom is pretty plain. I usually put out only a few toys out at the time.  She mostly plays in the living room as well but I just thought it would be nice to use this spare room as well

#5 PandoBox

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

View PostDaffy2016, on 05 June 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

Do you have a fan or heater in there? DD the same age has just developed an irrational fear of both. Excellent timing for Canberra winter.

Nope this one isn't scared of fans and heaters 100%. I suspect a toy or maybe something else random but god knows what.

I think ill need to change everything around :omg:

#6 seayork2002

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

We never had a play room but DS was always wary of other peoples

He just wanted to play constantly where we were - even in the bathroom as we were trying to go tot the toilet!

#7 AdelTwins

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

18m is the peak of separation anxiety and also the beginning of nightmares.

There could have been a spider in the room that ran across the floor one day. So may not be toys/decorations, etc.

#8 BornToLove

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

We had similar experience with DD. In her case it was a rather large spider that ‘surprised’ her while playing one day.

For a while we made a game of it by inspecting for spiders before leaving her to play in there. We also worked on being okay with spiders in general (we don’t touch them, they can’t touch us etc). Eventually DD was okay just going in to play on her own.

#9 steppy

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

Maybe it was a spider or mouse?

#10 Funwith4

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

Am I the only one thinking along the supernatural path???

#11 seayork2002

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostFunwith4, on 05 June 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Am I the only one thinking along the supernatural path???

I may have to admit that was in my mind a little when I first read the OP, possibly...

#12 Jenflea

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

Ok, my first thought was ghost, but I do spend way too much time on a certain FB page that seems to have a lot of "haunted" toys/items bought at secondhand shops, mostly in the US.

It might even have just been a shadow on the wall that freaked her out. I'd just make it as open and sunny as possible, leave the door open 24/7 so she walks past it and gets used to it again and see how she goes.

#13 PandoBox

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 05 June 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

I may have to admit that was in my mind a little when I first read the OP, possibly...

You guys are going to make me scared of the playroom too :rofl:

I think we have solved the issue... It was one of her wall posters. I took it off and she was happy to play in there.

#14 Stuffed Olive

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

One of my earliest memories is being terrified of a stuffed doll that looked a bit like Mr Punch - no idea where it came from. I was probably about two years old. I would go into the playroom but I would not go near and made sure to keep a very close eye on him! One day a family friend took me out for a walk and put him in the pusher with me. I immediately tossed him out and guess what - sigh - they thought it was a game. I have perfect recall of that traumatic afternoon...
I don't think I told my mother, then or later, so she would have been quite perplexed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.