Weighted blankets

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jackrabbit

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

I have an 8yr old daughter who has trouble getting to sleep and then most nights seems to wake in the middle of the night and be unable to get back to sleep. She often listens to Smiling Minds when she is trying to get to sleep, but this doesn't help with the waking.

I'm thinking of getting a weighted blanket but they are quite expensive so I'm hesitating. Has anyone used one for sleep issues with success?

#2 BadCat

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

It probably depends where the sleep issue is coming from.

If it's sensory issue ASD or anxiety then it will probably help.

DC1 has a weighted blanket and loves it to the moon and back.  They had trouble falling asleep mostly and the blanket helps enormously.  Feedback they have received is that if it is going to help you will know within a few minutes because you'll feel the difference right away.

The only way to know if it will help your child is to try one.

#3 Mishu

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:53 PM

My son has a weighted blanket (got it when he was 12) and he loves it. Really loves it. He's NT, no anxiety but quite sensitive (empathic)  and he says it gives him a sense of security. He has slept better since he got it.

#4 Octopodes

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Sorry to slightly high jack the thread but...

We were told never to let DS sleep with his weighted blanket on because it could become a suffocation risk. Is this only the case with younger children? DS was 6-7 when he got his, he is 12 now.

His is quite heavy and only lap sized, he finds it calming to sit under when he is upset, but it has never been on his bed.

edit: A quick google suggests the ones people are sleeping with are quite different to the one we have.

Edited by Octopodes, 06 June 2019 - 09:37 AM.

#5 Chicken Pie

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:29 AM

Great timing of the topic I’ve been wanting one for Dd

#6 missjones

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

Highly reccomend.
I was like you and concerned re cost.
We got DD 13 a 'Calming Blanket' about 3 months ago and it has been great.Only opted for this brand over their competition (Neptune?) as they had the single bed size in stock.
Must say - I can't fault 'Calming' on their customer service - I think I ordered it on a Sat night and it arrived on the wednesday!
She sleeps much better  - particulalry the getting to sleep part.
(DD has high levels of anxiety) She even took it on a weekend camp with her. *previously wasnt falling asleep until 2-3 in the morning and kept coming in to me in the night. The not being able to sleep was causign more anxiety. We were starting to consider medication but find that now it's not needed at all.

Best value for money for us!

#7 Brrrroooce!

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

My son loves his. It was around $200 for a 7kg.

I saw some 5.7kg weighted blankets at Costco for $85.

#8 Liz Lemon

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:06 PM

I got my husband one! (work/anxiety related insomnia)

He LOVES it.

I got it reasonably cheap on Groupon (around $100) because I didn’t want to pay the $300 or so I’d seen them advertised for and then have it not work for him.  The child sized ones were way cheaper ($60).

Not sure whether I’m allowed to post a link but here goes (please remove if not appropriate).

https://www.groupon....lo-products-378

He’s only had it about a month so we can’t attest to the longevity/quality really.  But he reckons had he known how much it would improve his sleep he would have paid $1,000 :)

#9 bubba boo

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

Brrrroooce- Were the weighted blankets at costco recently? That's a good price

#10 Brrrroooce!

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

bubba boo, on 06 June 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

Brrrroooce- Were the weighted blankets at costco recently? That's a good price

Yes last Thursday (Qld)

#11 Karlee99

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:28 PM

I recently bought one for my grown up daughter. She works in an industry that means erratic shifts and includes night and day shifts and her sleep was suffering. She really thought this would be a miracle fix......so far (about 3 weeks) she hasn't really been impressed, which is disappointing as they are pretty expensive

#12 Lees75

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

Octopodes, on 06 June 2019 - 09:28 AM, said:

Sorry to slightly high jack the thread but...

We were told never to let DS sleep with his weighted blanket on because it could become a suffocation risk. Is this only the case with younger children? DS was 6-7 when he got his, he is 12 now.

His is quite heavy and only lap sized, he finds it calming to sit under when he is upset, but it has never been on his bed.

edit: A quick google suggests the ones people are sleeping with are quite different to the one we have.

I'm an OT and you were told the right information :) Weighted items should only be used for 20 minutes at a time, which practically speaking, rules out night time use, unless you are going to sneak in after the child has gone to sleep.

There is obviously a lot of anecdotal evidence about using them for sleep, but at this stage, there are minimal peer reviewed studies available regarding the appropriateness and safety.

OP - there is lots of good safety information available through Google. Please have a read through it before you invest in a blanket, as there are lots of health conditions that make them inappropriate and unsafe.

I know it sounds like I am trying to put you off - I'm not - for a lot of people, they work really well.
But they are only going to work for people who fit the right Sensory Profile.

The other to consider would be the various types of sensory sheets that are available.

#13 abbyminnie

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:15 PM

Spotlight has weighted blankets on sale at the moment.  I saw them in various sizes and all under $100 when I was there a couple of weeks ago and looks like there are some sizes available online
https://www.spotligh...lanket/80477076

#14 Chocolate Addict

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:57 AM

Another thing that might work and is cheaper is a lycra bed sock. It goes over the mattress and it very fitted. My kid didn't like it and I wouldn't like sleeping basically under a giant swimsuits that doesn't breath. lol

I actually make weighted blankets and yes, they do work for a lot of people but not everyone, follow the guides on weight or consult an OT.
The blanket needs to be a weight that the person can lift off themselves so it isn't a suffocation risk or restraint.
As someone said, you would know straight away if it works. I call them big hugs. If you put one around your neck/back you will either go 'ahhhh' or 'meh'. ahhh is good, meh is you might need a heavier weight.

I have heard the Spotlight ones are not very good but they would be good to use as a trial before investing in a proper one. (I haven't seen them myself but have read a lot of negative reviews)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.