What do you do in your downtime at night?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 VVV

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:44 PM

What do you do in your down time at night? My husband and I are definitely in a rut of just collapsing in front of the tv and watching anything (usually not even an interesting show) because we are exhausted and we do the same thing each night. Looking for ideas on what everyone else does. Lately I’ve been going into the bedroom and reading before falling asleep which I’ve been enjoying.

#2 Odd-1-Out

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:46 PM

I go into the bedroom and listening to music with earphones.

#3 CallMeFeral

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:48 PM

This.

#4 ~J_WTF~

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:52 PM

Play the sims.

#5 night jasmine

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

I don’t have a huge amount of downtime, less than an hour a day. I plan future travels and shop online (usually without buying anything), and in winter, crochet.

#6 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

this - EB, twitter, news sites, online shopping, travel sites. some tv...scrabble with DH (!), reading, cooking

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

We do pretty much the same OP. Then I go to bed and DH does a couple of hours more work. We are both too tired to do anything else.

#8 KnightsofNi

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

I work. But while drinking wine and watching TV. So downtime.

#9 Mands09

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:01 PM

We do random internet stuff whilst putting the kids to sleep. Then we start working again after the kids are sleep until 1-2 in the morning.

DH likes to cook sometimes. I like to bake. When we have the time.

#10 Allegra99

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:04 PM

I usually have about one hour between finishing up my evening chores and going to sleep. I watch Netflix/Stan and eat chocolate/drink wine. Every night.

#11 VVV

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:04 PM

Mands09, on 10 June 2019 - 10:01 PM, said:

We do random internet stuff whilst putting the kids to sleep. Then we start working again after the kids are sleep until 1-2 in the morning.

DH likes to cook sometimes. I like to bake. When we have the time.

Wow, that’s a big day - or do you get to start work later in the day? Hope you are finding some hours to get some decent sleep.

#12 Ozquoll

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

Waste time on EB....🤪

In all seriousness, my brain is usually fried by the end of the day, so mindless internet browsing is about all I’m good for by then. Probably should just go to bed early I guess 🤔

#13 Mands09

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:21 PM

VVV, on 10 June 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

Wow, that’s a big day - or do you get to start work later in the day? Hope you are finding some hours to get some decent sleep.

We run a business so most of the time DH works 8-9 hours on a job site and I am on and off the computer throughout the day working around kids. And then we sit down together and work later after the kids are in bed - we get more done then.  We try and have a glass of wine whilst we work. Unfortunately we get too distracted trying to have TV show on in the background or anything like that.

We get about 5 hours sleep on average.

If you are creative you should try knitting or crochet?

#14 bikingbubs

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:23 PM

Pat my dog to avoid folding washing

#15 jojonbeanie

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:25 PM

I listen to audio books while I do housework and prep for life. I have a full time job and a profoundly disabled child who needs 24 hour nursing care. There isn't any much of my day that is down time.

#16 MakesMeHappy

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:26 PM

Netflix

#17 Madeline's Mum

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:28 PM

I usually work for an hour or two with the tv on in the background, or read, browse the net, chat to friends, edit photos, play with the cat etc. if I’m really tired I just collapse and watch mindless tv until about 9:30 when I drag myself to bed.

Im up at 5:30 so never have a big late night on a work night.

#18 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

Once the children have gone to bed
- mindless TV
- social media/internet browsing
- read a book (me only, DH never picks up a book)
- work (again, me only, as I usually need to make up a few hours due to leaving early for after school activities)

Once a week, usually Sunday night, DH and I play a board game or a puzzle, or listen to a podcast/audiobook together. It's an opportunity to re-connect, discuss what's coming up during the week,  Not every single week, but more often than not.

#19 PaperCats

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:47 PM

I watch Netflix or hayu and browse the internet. I figure my life is very full on from the moment I wake up at around 5.45am until kids are in bed at 7.15pm. The next hour and a half is for not thinking or being overly busy.

#20 CCABW

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

Usually crash out.

#21 (feral)epg

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:07 PM

DD is seldom in bed much before 8.45.  I go to bed at 9.
So in that 15 minutes I internet.

(Then I read for an hour or so - but I class that as sleep because it's in bed and so isn't really me time :whistle: )

#22 amdirel

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:18 PM

I sit up way too late, with a big cup of tea, watching whatever crap is on tv, phone in hand, flicking between EB, FB, Simcity, and googling for career changes and uni courses that could possibly fit into my life (ie none).

#23 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:46 PM

What you are doing OP sounds just fine if you are both exhausted.

I watch YouTube/clean/a load of washing/ironing/candle-lit bath/research/chat with the teens.

Edited by ~THE~MAGICIAN~, 10 June 2019 - 11:51 PM.

#24 Lunafreya

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:08 AM

I have a sewing project I’m working on that involves a lot of handsewing, so I do that watching TV. It’s quite relaxing.

#25 onetrick

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:13 AM

Most of the time, we watch n episode of something (blacklist atm) on Netflix then go to bed to read. I dont find it wasteful as it's my downtime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.