Pet registration/.ownership

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 IamOzgirl

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has experience in registering or changing ownership of a a cat in NSW.

We got a cat 2 years ago, and we registered her in my partners name. We have since split and I am keeping the cat.

When we bought her we sent a form (provided by the shelter) to council.

I have since heard about the NSW Pet registry. Cam I go and 'claim' my cat via this. Or do i need to first let my partner claim her then transfer her to me?

I am trying to do this without having to speak to him.

I also heard that maybe my vet can help? They know me and so know i am/was her owner.

Thanks

#2 Mollycoddle

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

No answers for you but I just went in and had a look at the website.  It sounds like a very convoluted process for registering a pet ie. creating profiles and 'claiming' pets.  Surely people can just fill out details on an online form to get a lot of that done?

#3 IamOzgirl

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

View PostMollycoddle, on 11 June 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

No answers for you but I just went in and had a look at the website.  It sounds like a very convoluted process for registering a pet ie. creating profiles and 'claiming' pets.  Surely people can just fill out details on an online form to get a lot of that done?

My thoughts exactly.

#4 BeachesBaby

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

When we moved to Aus from the US with our dog, I had originally gone to the council where we were temporarily staying and they made it into this complicated procedure so I never did it. When we moved to my current town I went to the local council where I expected a long, drawn out process. They knew exactly which forms I needed and I was easily able to add her to the pet registry. I know that transferring owners was one of the more common options, you may need a letter (stat dec or similar) from your ex partner saying he agrees to transfer ownership to you. If that is too difficult right now, I’d still go to council and ask them how to do it. I found they were so helpful and it was really quick. Best of luck to you.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:08 PM

IME, council don’t give two hoots who own the cat as long as it’s registered. Transferring the microchip information can be a bit of a hassle, but I did a stat dec in accordance with the microchip registry requirements and had it witnessed by my vet.

I wouldn’t bother with the state based one. Our pets are registered with the council, who has their microchip details, and the relevant microchip registry, which also has our details. As long as both are up to date, you shouldn’t really need anything else.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 11 June 2019 - 09:11 PM.

#6 *Spikey*

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

You need to submit a new form to your council, so she is registered, and check that they will also update microchip details. It's their database that you want to be on, others are commercial databases rather than true registration.

#7 IamOzgirl

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:28 PM

Thanks.

I just realised that even though we used his name, it is the current address and my mobile. So they would have no way of contact exDP anyway.

So I might try council, and see what they say. And hopefully vet can sign a stat Dec. Or just forget about it.

#8 Mollycoddle

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 11 June 2019 - 09:43 PM, said:

You need to submit a new form to your council, so she is registered, and check that they will also update microchip details. It's their database that you want to be on, others are commercial databases rather than true registration.

The one the OP is talking about is administered by the NSW Government so definitely legit. However it does say in FAQs that you don't have to register with both local council and them, so doing it via council should be enough (I would assume the council then sends that info to the government database).

#9 *Spikey*

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

It should do, that's what has happened with ours.

#10 IamOzgirl

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

Great - thanks. i think i might try with the vet and see how i go.

I do wonder though - if one hand talks to the other. ie, if not one has claimed her on the NSW Pet Registry, then i could? Doubly securing?

I just don't want him asking for her if things get messy... I don't even know how much claim he has and i am worrying over nothing?

I feel like she is all i have right now, it would crush me to lose her. Or if she got out and was picked up that they would call him and i would never get her back.

#11 cvbn

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:01 PM

I would make the effort to make sure you know she is yours. It is worth it.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

Definitely start with the council. Mum and Dad got a fine when their dog escaped during a storm and she wasn’t registered directly with the council.

#13 IamOzgirl

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:40 PM

Thanks - i was just transferring rego and i noticed the pet registry link and so tried to enter her mircochip.

One had talks to the other... they said i didn't match. So council must feed into the NSW Pet Registry.

Will try vet, don't want to ask ex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.