Anyone have experience with recurring boils in kids?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 livelifelovehappy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:04 PM

My 8 year old has had recurring boils. He puts Bacroban on them 3 times a day, and he's had a course of antibiotics. They are improved but not completely gone and seem to be leaving scars. He's getting a new one on his nose and is very self conscious.

How did you all get rid of them? We are not haring towels, he's taking showers twice a day, etc.

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:09 PM

Has he had them swabbed by the doctor?

#3 gracie1978

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

Antibacterial skin wash
Clean clothes and towel daily
Sheets changed twice a week
Strong infection control on current boils
Straight away using antibiotic cream

I think the biggest impact was cutting out sugar.

Hope that helps.

I had a really bad run for a few months and this was the plan from the GP to get on top of it.

I also had full blood tests done, but there were no issues (can be a diabetes sign)

#4 .Jerry.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

This was me as a teenager.  I think I was about 14.

I had severe ongoing boils - mostly all over my legs, though did have some on my torso and a few on my head. :(  It was terrible. Very painful on my legs, with the pressure of the throbbing behind them.   At times I had up to 10 at a time.

It went on for months.

I was put on a long term course of antibiotics.  I used phisohex wash all over in the shower.  Had not not share towels etc.  Wash towels after each use.

My recollection was that it was a staph infection.
It eventually went away.

#5 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

Ds1 had many and they were staph infections. Only certain antibiotics work with them. He still has the scars unfortunately.

#6 Gudrun

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:36 PM

This was me as a kid.  It was terrible.  Still have the scars.

No-one else in the family got them.  They did stop in the end.

#7 JoanJett

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

It's worthwhile having your child tested for nasal carriage of Staphylococcus (with a nose swab).  If his swab is positive, treatment with nasal Bactroban ointment can help if it's a sensitive Staph.

#8 frazzle

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

All of the above.
Son was constantly getting them (one got under his fingernail and ended up in hospital to get it drained). Dr said:
1. use antibacterial wash all over for at least a week when one comes up.
2. Bactroban is good if caught early.
3. Tell them to keep their fingers out of their noses (!) as this is often how it is spread.
He has had a couple of them where he needed antibiotics but now we follow this routine they never blow up as badly. But  ... we are about to hit teen years so may be different!

#9 mayahlb

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

Yep. I live in an area where they are problematic due to some bacteria that lives in the dirt. Make sure they have been swabbed because sometimes the infection is not always cured by the antibiotics and they have to change it.

Wash all clothes in hot water and add a antibacterial agent if possible
Antibacterial soap
Also we did a whole body cleanse thing as recommended up the GP that involved nasal spray and a foaming body wash similar to what they get you to wash in pre-op for 10 days.
Wash sheets twice a week
Make sure they are covered and cleaned properly every day

Really drumming in making sure my kids washed and washed was what finally stopped then getting them. And even the tiniest cut/break in the skin being washed, dabbed down with betedine and covered. Some people are more prone to them though, especially those who are diabetic and prediabetic or have chronic illnesses. I had one once and it was horrid. And as I’m ANA to one of the antibiotics used to treat them if fluxotine doesn’t work I have to be very very careful I don’t get them.

#10 livelifelovehappy

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

He has been swabbed and they were negative for staph. Tonight he’s had a shower, I’ve wiped down his whole torso and arms (where they are) with hand sanitizer, put betadine both on them and in a large circle around them, then Bactroban then a bandaid. I will not be defeated by these nasty, nasty things!!!

#11 Bereckii

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

Oh gosh, I feel for you both. Awful!

Then 2yo DS would get them often. It felt like an impossible, awful merry-go-round that would never end. Frustrating. He would get eczema too, which obviously made it more difficult.

His skin issues improved with a move from Sydney to Melbourne. And have basically disappeared since getting his tonils and adenoids out in FYOS.

I really don't know if there is a direct relationship re: boils, but his overall health improved dramatically after the op (to remove tonsils and adenoids). I am guessing he was so run down with poor sleep (massive adenoids), gunky ears (all exacerbated by hayfever), etc, that it was easier for the eczema to flair and create a good environment for boils to develop. Miserable.

Is you 8yo in otherwise good health?

Good luck. It's so upsetting and frustrating. I wish I could give you a silver bullet to fix it, but I couldn't find one. (Advice from pp's is all good though)

#12 livelifelovehappy

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:46 PM

He’s very healthy otherwise, but thinking we could all use some zinc drops. He’s a squad swimmer and I think it’s gotta be the pool. Going to have to withdraw him, which is a shame.

Thanks all!

#13 Romeo Void

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

My sister used a solarium in the 90's quite frequently and she would get loads of them (she didn't connect it to the solarium for ages).  Once she stopped the boils went away.  It may be that the swimming is making his skin susceptible somehow? Worth stopping it for a while and seeing how he goes?

#14 mayahlb

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

livelifelovehappy - if you suspect the pool is triggering them, please make sure you know whoever runs the pool know. They might have a contaminate in the water that needs to be dealt with. I know our local pool has been closed a few times because of something similar while they treated the water.

#15 bec578

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

Poor kid, my daughter got a staph infection it was hard to get rid of

#16 livelifelovehappy

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

That's a good idea to let them know, I will do so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.