FB Vent *Trigger Warning, death mentioned*

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 opethmum

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:07 PM

When a young person dies in the neighbourhood through a tragic accident which could happen to any young teen and young adult. Please engage your brain and stop asking whether the person had a helmet, it does not matter or change the outcome of a high speed accident.

Please do not attack the poor person's relatives who have told people to repeatedly stop attacking them. Don't attack them when they are literally in shock and it happened less than 3 hours ago and they are processing the enormity of it all and having to defend them and traumatising their whole family.

Just please stop and actually "I am sorry it happened" would suffice and saying something to make them feel like their life meant something to those who loved them.

Just feeling amazed by the callousness of some people on the fb land.

grrr. Rant over.

#2 71Cath

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:14 PM

That's awful OP, I'm so sorry for your loss.

#3 Newbutoldish

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

That is really sad. People can be so cruel.

#4 opethmum

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

It is not a relative of mine just a friend of mine. Sorry I forgot to clarify. Thanks though it is sweet of you to say.

#5 TrixieBelden

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:28 PM

Im sorry.

Sometimes I see a story in the paper about a kid/young adult who’s died at my workplace, I can’t believe how many people will jump on to criticise. We all make mistakes, especially as teenagers, and it’s sheer luck that most of us survive. Imagine wanting a kid’s family to actually feel worse.

#6 creatamum

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

Can I please add that when somebody dies from suicide it does not matter how they did it, the amount of people that want to know all the details sickens me.

#7 abegailo

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

This is one of the reasons why I decided to delete my Facebook account and just live without Social Media.

Seems like everyone is rude nowadays and respect has been long forgotten.

#8 71Cath

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

It never ceases to amaze me the things that people will say on FB etc that they would never say to someone's face.

#9 wallofdodo

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:43 PM

I'll add if someone dies of lung cancer, the next question shouldn't be if they smoked.

#10 Jersey Caramel

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

I think I have read that this is a bit of a phenomenon...when people hear tragic news, their instinct is to find a reason,  to reassure themselves that it couldn't happen to them or their loved ones. So they ask if the person was wearing a helmet, or was a smoker,  or why their mother wasn't observing them every minute of the day, because it gives them a sense of "that couldn't happen to me,  I don't ride without a helmet/smoke/let my child walk to the shop unsupervised etc etc". Of course the truth is, tragedies happen. As our lives have got safer and safer (with better laws, health care,  public health information etc) we seem to be even less able to accept tragic accidents.

And unfortunately social media has allowed people to ask these questions/make these comments directly to victims' families or where victims' families may read them,  which is hurtful and very upsetting. People need to step back from the keyboard and have some empathy and compassion.

I am very sorry for this family,  both for their trauma and loss and for the horrible comments making everything worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.