Travel mug

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 hills mum bec

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:03 PM

DD wants a travel mug that she can put her tea in to drink while she is waiting for the school bus on these cold mornings.  Her 15th birthday is coming up so thought I might make up a gift pack with a nice mug and her favourite teas.

I need suggestions for a good travel mug that is leak proof as it will end up in her school bag when she has finished her tea.  Would also prefer it to be dishwasher safe.  I looked at the ones in T2 as that is where I have got her tea from but they are not dishwasher safe.

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

I’ve got this one, it’s great! https://www.kitchenw...3ml-Matte-Black

#3 hills mum bec

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:22 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 15 June 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

I’ve got this one, it’s great! https://www.kitchenw...3ml-Matte-Black

I looked at them but says only the lid is dishwasher safe, cup needs to be hand washed?

#4 tenar

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

I have one like the above: Contigo.  Bought it a couple of years ago because of recommendations here.

I love it!  It seals tight, doesn't leak, washes in the dishwasher.

Mine is purple, but most of the purple has come off in the dishwasher now (they do say the coloured ones aren't dishwasher safe - I chose to ignore that and it doesn't affect the function).  If this is a concern get a silver (stainless steel) one.

Highly recommend.  It keeps my coffee hot for hours after I make it.

If you get one for your daughter for tea, get her to test it before using.  With tea (no milk, hotter than coffee) I have to leave it open to cool down for a few minutes before putting the lid on, or otherwise I burn myself trying to drink it.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

Contigo is the best.

Get her to test it before using it while out. It almost keeps tea too hot, iykwim?
There is a recommendation to leave the lid off for 3 minutes or something, but I usually do 10 and have it made an hour before I need to drink it.

#6 Renovators delight

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

Longplay keep cups are pretty good.

https://au.keepcup.c...&lid=TR&plug=MA

#7 Caribou

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

I have the Ember travel mug.

https://ember.com/

You charge it up and it will keep your tea warm for about 4 hours at the temp you want. I like drinking my tea slow. :)

It’s not dishwasher proof, I just quick soap and rinse it seeing it’s just water really.

Edited by Caribou, 15 June 2019 - 05:08 PM.

#8 Charli73

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

My DD has a keepcup here and so do I.

#9 can'tstayaway

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

I don’t like drinking tea out of metal cups because it reacts and makes it taste funny. I use ceramic or glass double walled cups with a sipper lid.

I’ve got quite a few from various places including BigW, Biome and Amazon. They are dishwasher safe and great to use. The only downside is that it’s not leakproof to be able to drink later and the risk of breaking. If she won’t drink it later, she can just tip the leftovers out and maybe find a soft case or tea towel to wrap it in.

https://www.myer.com...ASABEgI4d_D_BwE

https://www.biome.co...85-ceramic-cups

https://www.amazon.c...gateway&sr=8-14

#10 scooty

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

View PostCaribou, on 15 June 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

I have the Ember travel mug.

https://ember.com/

You charge it up and it will keep your tea warm for about 4 hours at the temp you want. I like drinking my tea slow. Posted Image

It’s not dishwasher proof, I just quick soap and rinse it seeing it’s just water really.

We have this one too...I really love it!!! Im a slow drinker too.

#11 EmmDasher

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:18 PM

I have Frank Green and love it. They are leak proof and look so funky. The stainless steel thermal bases are not dishwasher safe - you can but the enamel paint chips off. The plain plastic ones are fine in the dishwasher. If it doesn’t need to stay hot for ages a plain plastic one would be fine IMO.

Edited by EmmDasher, 15 June 2019 - 07:18 PM.

#12 iwanttosleepin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

Any drink container that is double walled stainless steel shouldn’t go in the dishwasher.  The heat can deform the vacuum between the layers. The contigo ones say ‘hand wash only’ for this reason.

It’s obviously up to you whether you follow this.

I have a Nespresso double walled cup.  I love it.  Keeps my iced coffee cold all day. Sometimes the remaining ice is still solid 8 hours later.  Fully seals but not auto sealing.

I think a good quality cup is a great gift..I may steal this idea for my nearly 14 yr old.

#13 boymumma

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:44 AM

View PostEmmDasher, on 15 June 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

I have Frank Green and love it. They are leak proof and look so funky. The stainless steel thermal bases are not dishwasher safe - you can but the enamel paint chips off. The plain plastic ones are fine in the dishwasher. If it doesn’t need to stay hot for ages a plain plastic one would be fine IMO.

I second frank green. Mine (the plastic one) is going on two years and doesn’t leak at all. Plus you can customise all the colours

#14 iwanttosleepin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

https://www.nespress...-mug-coffee-cup

This is the one I have.

#15 kimasa

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

I've had the same Contigo for 4 years (a non-painted one though, just silver), always put both parts in the dishwasher. It gets chucked around my car, put into bags and has a few dents in it, but never leaked once.

Edited by kimasa, 16 June 2019 - 08:10 AM.

#16 just roses

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

Another vote for frank green.

New ones have stainless steel outer and ceramic inner, so unbreakable but no metallic taste. Completely leak proof too. And made in Australia :-)

#17 Riotproof

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:29 AM

Do the people who like frank green have big hands? I find pressing down the button and holding the cup in a drinking fashion really awkward.

#18 Octopodes

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:56 AM

https://frankgreen.c...s/reusable-cups

I have a frank green drink bottle which is great. There are smaller sizes suitable for tea/coffee. Some of them are dishwasher safe.

lol, I read the OP, wandered off, came back and posted and then realised everyone else has already suggested frank green.

Edited by Octopodes, 16 June 2019 - 10:01 AM.

#19 carls888

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

Check out Yeti travel cups too. They keep my coffee warm for hours.

#20 kimasa

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:01 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 16 June 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

Do the people who like frank green have big hands? I find pressing down the button and holding the cup in a drinking fashion really awkward.

I've found this too. DH has one and I cannot drink from it, but I have tiny kid-sized hands and he has normal grown up hands.

#21 nom_de_plume

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

I’ve had KeepCups for years and years now and never any issues. My oldest one is almost 9 years old.

#22 Riotproof

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:04 AM

Glad it’s not just me. It’s not too bad with the smallest size, but With my slightly larger one, it’s impossible.

#23 Wonderstruck

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

Frank green. I used to use keep cups but they leak. Frank green dont leak

#24 Mae55

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:32 AM

If you want something you can throw in a bag then contigo or frank green are the best. I love my ceramic travel mugs but they’re not leak proof, just less likely to pour all over my computer while I’m working!

#25 WaitForMe

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

The plastic Frank Green ones don't keep the heat in at all. On really cold mornings, my coffee is cold by the time I get to the station (10min walk).

Also because of the type of plastic used, mine split at the top when I dropped it on the concrete one time.

I haven't used the one with ceramic inside, but many moons ago I had a thermos with a glass inner, plastic outer. It was pretty durable, but it did break from a big drop one time - despite the plastic its still a big shock to it. Not sure if the Frank Green one has some sort of shock absorbing material between the metal and ceramic to stop this.

For the right person, ceramic/glass can work well. I use a Keep Cup glass cup, I have broken one so far but love the glass too much to be deterred plus it only goes from home to my desk at work. For a teen, I remember the punishment my own bag got in high school, going from class to class. Unless she uses a locker and plans to put it in there at the start of the day, I don't know how practical it would be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.